Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever get pulled over on your bicycle?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ever get pulled over on your bicycle?

Old 10-22-20, 08:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
I always carry ID just in case I am so severely injured I cannot talk or am keeled (killed),not for law enforcement. Mrs RSBob, will be more quickly notified in that event and can cash in that life insurance.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-22-20, 09:20 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by EviLDORK
I was told to get on the sidewalk by police directing traffic around the Wisconsin State Fair on two separate occasions. I wasn't ticketed or even identified. It's illegal to bicycle on sidewalks in this state and that part of 84th St is technically part of the Oak Leaf Trail, but I ended up walking my bike on the sidewalk to avoid both arguing with the cops and breaking the law.
I was surprised at this and found this:

"The City Code of West Allis requires a standardized concrete sidewalk to be built “Upon all streets which are improved by grading, paving, macadamizing and curbing” (11.07(2)(a)).
10.20 RIDING BICYCLE ON SIDEWALK.
(a) Pursuant to sec. 346.92(1) of the Wisconsin Statutes, the operation of bicycles upon a sidewalk is permitted in the City. The person operating a bicycle on a sidewalk shall follow all other applicable rules of the road.
(b) Every bicycle being operated on a sidewalk and passing a pedestrian proceeding in the same direction shall be equipped with a device such as a horn, bell or buzzer to give the audible signal required by sec. 346.804 of the Wisconsin Statutes, or the bicyclist shall verbally inform the pedestrian that the pedestrian is going to be passed and on which side.
(c) The penalties set forth in sec. 346.82 of the Wisconsin Statutes, shall apply to violations of this section.
Ord. 6363, 2/3/98; Ord. 6383, 4/21/98"

scott s.
Old 10-23-20, 06:01 AM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
No, But......

I have never been pulled over by a police officer. My wife and I were part of the resettlement team for a family of Syrian refugees. During a bike safety blitz, the oldest daughter got pulled over for not wearing her helmet ( mandatory for minors in Ontario) , as a "punishment" she was given a warning and a coupon for free ice cream at the local convenience store. I think that was a good demonstration of the difference between our law enforcement and what she was used to.
Likes For John Foster:
Old 10-23-20, 08:04 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I always carry ID just in case I am so severely injured I cannot talk or am keeled (killed),not for law enforcement. Mrs RSBob, will be more quickly notified in that event and can cash in that life insurance.
Same here, but I took it a step further and printed out a card which has my name, DOB, blood type, and emergency contact information on it, just in case. I carry it in my bike wallet along with my DL. Also printed up a sticker and stuck it to the side of my helmet in case they don't find my wallet.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-23-20, 08:23 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
carry id
same here - copy of my drivers license.
Old 10-23-20, 08:34 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 121 Posts
Busted three times in my earlier years. Twice for what I'll call "reckless riding" in my small downtown of Port Angeles, WA. Got lectured both times, but no ticket. The third event was leaving Vancouver, B.C. with a friend. We chose to ride our bikes through the Massey Tunnel under the Fraser River on a Sunday morning rather than wait for a bike/pedestrian "ferry" service that runs on the hour. Lots of traffic and it was one hell of a rush. We got through the tunnel and then heard the siren while approaching the first off ramp. Major lecture and $40 ($US in ~1985) fine. We both paid the fine promptly. The fee was returned to both of us about two months later with a note that said "no further action pending in this case". Good PR!

Dean
Old 10-23-20, 08:43 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
NY to LA 4200 miles group got Pulled Over by Two New Female Cops Then Got a Ticket for Sidewalk Riding.

Old 10-23-20, 04:56 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
The Arlington County (VA) Bike Club used to start some rides at the top of the hill in Arlington National Cemetery by the Lee mansion, IIRC. It was difficult not to exceed the speed limit riding down th hill. Occasionally a cop jumped into his Studebaker Lark and chased riders. Since the bikes were more maneuverable than the cars, and since the road had a lot of curves, No one got caught in the year I was a member.

Nowadays I obey all pretty much traffic laws. In fact, at the end of rides, I hope the lights turn red.
Old 10-23-20, 05:36 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
48 years ago I was a college student riding my bike on a lovely spring day. I passed a line of stopped vehicles in a left turn lane, singing to myself as I did so. A cop that I passed chased me down and demanded to know why I called out to him as I passed. Having no clue what he was talking about, I asked him what he thought I said. “ Dirty copper” was his reply! I waned to say that if anything I’d have called him a f*ing pig, but I replied only that I was singing. What could he do!
Old 10-24-20, 09:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Several times as a kid, riding on the highway to Jones Beach and coming back from Montauk on Long Island - bikes not allowed on either.

As an adult, once in DC I was stopped for not fully stopping at a stop sign! I didn't run it but I didn't put my feet down, either. When he asked for ID I truthfully replied that I didn't carry my wallet and there wasn't much he could do but give me a stern warning.

Another time, I was driving somewhere with the bike on the back of my car and it has hanging in front of a license plate. There was a long line of cars in the right turn lane, including a police car, and I was going to go straight but an opening appeared so I moved (annoyingly, but perfectly legally) into the right lane. A few blocks after the turn, lights and siren behind me - the police officer pulled me over and I prepared my defense for the turn. Instead he told me my bike was blocking visibility of my license plate and he was going to write me a ticket. Luckily, the local bike advocacy group had recently put out an article on that - Maryland has no such law. I pointed that out and he said "Well, I could also get you for that illegal turn" - aha, that's what it was really about! But, just another warning.

Final one wasn't a pullover: in my younger days I would really fly downhill and I was doing so on a nice smooth shoulder next to a major road. A police car pulled up next to me, honked and he flashed five fingers, then two fingers, then thumbs up! I guess he clocked me at 52 mph which had to be an exaggeration but I still claim that speed today!
If putting you feet down signals a full stop, I and any trike rider are guilty of never stopping since we remain clipped in at stops.
Old 10-24-20, 09:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
In my state, we have a FRAP law, so I would have argued that I was trying to stay as far right as practical under the law.
It is NOT practical to ride clear to the right in the trash on the right side of the road that will cause flats.
Old 10-24-20, 09:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by bblair
3 times, that I remember:

1-group ride and we turned very slowly, but not a full stop through a stop sign in a small town. A few miles later, we were pulled over by the mayor himself! Since that town had only mayor's court, he couldn't file the charge and also be the judge, so he radioed his deputy and told him to file the charges. He refused, the mayor was pissed and we eventually rode away with a stern warning.

2-Trek Travel Going to the Sun Road in Montana. The side after the downhill was supposed to be closed to bikes after a certain time, but the Trek leaders assured us that they never enforce it. Well, they did that day and we were forced to wait it out on the banks of a mountain lake, feet in water. Not so bad. Guides apologized and picked up the bar tab that night. We got a good deal.

3-Riding solo on a county road that crossed over the interstate. No other way to go on. State Highway Patrol, sirens blaring comes flying up and pulls me over. I was about to explain, when he goes into this long story about how he is thinking about buying a road bike and wanted advice on kind of pedals, tires, frames, pumps. Eventually I had to excuse myself as I was already late for a big family dinner.

So 3 good outcomes, but I would love to get a speeding ticket. I'd frame it and brag forever.
Love those "stern" warnings!!!!!!
Old 10-24-20, 09:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Once. State Park Ranger. ~$300 ticket after court fees.

Amortized over 30 years, a small price to pay.
Fining a cyclist $300 seem to violate the cruel and unusual clause.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-24-20, 09:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by rsbob
I have a dog tag chained to my Trunk pack. It has my name, phone number and blood type. That is all the ID I carry.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-24-20, 08:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Never pulled over/stopped by LEO while cycling but was told by Bloomington, IN police (by rooftop speaker) in the mid-70's to "Get off the road!" riding on Walnut Street (Old Highway 37) on south side of town. I got off the road.

I always carry wallet/ID on me or on bike while riding. Plus dog tag on neck chain with my name, address and cell number of spouse/stoker. No blood type because transfusion would never be given without a crossmatch being run or , if no time for that, universal donor blood type (O-) used for transfusion.
Old 10-24-20, 09:43 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Never pulled over/stopped by LEO while cycling but was told by Bloomington, IN police (by rooftop speaker) in the mid-70's to "Get off the road!" riding on Walnut Street (Old Highway 37) on south side of town. I got off the road.
A friend and I were pulled over and told to get off the road by GA law enforcement in 92 or 93. Interestingly, we took the opportunity to report that someone recently discharged a firearm into the air (hopefully) as they drove by us. That didn't concern the law nearly as much as 2 college kids riding bikes on the state road.
Old 10-25-20, 01:21 AM
AlgarveCycling

Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I was spoken to by Officers in their car during the Covid lockdown earlier in the year. They saw me go past, drove after me, put the siren/lights on, pulled up alongside while I was doing 40km/h and had a chat.

Rules were that we had to remain in our own municipalities unless we were Pro's and be riding alone. So they asked if I was a Pro given I was wearing sponsored team kit so I said, no, amateur team but that I was doing circuits of my municipality zone and alone the whole time. They were happy with that and drove on leaving me to my training.

Might happen next weekend again, we have a 4 day lockdown to relieve the hotspots in the country as it is a holiday period - although, as with the whole year, the part of the country I live in doesn't have any hotspots or major issues, it is the cities and larger towns in the North that have the most cases. We've still only had less than 2000 cases in our whole Southern region.
Old 10-25-20, 02:15 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I make an effort to avoid it. Like this morning - actually stopped at a four way cause the police car was at the left turn in front of me / coming towards me first lol.
Old 10-26-20, 04:14 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
In DC, I got a speed camera ticket while driving my car (later rescinded) for doing 15.7 MPH. Turns out it was really a red light camera and if you got to 15 mph in the interesection after the stop sign, it declared that you never stopped. I guess it was penalizing fast starters, not just non-stoppers, someone protested, they cancelled all those tickets! DC is an unpredictable place for both driving and riding through...

All of these where cyclists are pulled over are judgement calls by the officer. I'm happy to see cyclists running red lights get tickets - unless it is me when I'm on my carbon bike and the sensor will never tell the light to change!

Originally Posted by rydabent
If putting you feet down signals a full stop, I and any trike rider are guilty of never stopping since we remain clipped in at stops.
Old 10-26-20, 11:23 AM
kahrs

Bikes: Masi, Gitane

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 1975, I elected to violate the restrictions on "Going to the Sun Road" in Glacier National Park. Interestingly enough, it it still prohibited:

"From Logan Creek to Logan Pass east-bound (uphill) bicycle traffic is prohibited between 11 am and 4 pm."

This is/was a major impediment, so I went ahead. I made it through without being stopped. But, then I ran into this:

"From Apgar Campground to Sprague Creek Campground bicycles are prohibited, both directions, between 11 am and 4 pm."

And yep, I was pulled over. I told the officer that I thought it was unreasonable. He offered to write me a ticket so I could contest it, but I decided to stay off the road until 4 p.m. (Actually, I think I started off again at 3:30 ...).

45 years later, I still consider these restrictions to be unreasonable. I think the main reason they exist is that so many "recreational vehicles" are on the road and the inexperience drivers could/would crush you into a wall.
Old 10-26-20, 11:25 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit
Pullled over growing up in London for not having lights after dark. Was late back from school or something.

Mind you, not like those old 2 D-Cell battery lights cast any ACTUAL light!
Pair of these and a Sam Brown and you could ride into the Temple of Doom with no fear.

In hindsight, it was probably reckless endangerment on the part of our parents to let us out after dusk with these things, let alone actual night time.

I've been pulled over and got a ticking off for rolling through, rather than really "running" red lights a few times. My only ticket was for jaywalking in Costa Mesa, where being a pedestrian, let alone a cyclist, is basically illegal.
Old 10-26-20, 11:31 AM
gzank6

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot Bordeaux

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several times for running a stop sign and ticketed once for supposedly running a signal. I was rolling through downtown Long Beach and jumped a green light by about a click.

When I was a teen my buddy and I were riding back from Mexico and coming up from the border and took the wrong street and ended up on Coronado island.
Not having much dough we didn't want to pay for the ferry so we started riding over the bridge, didn't know bikes weren't allowed.
Halfway across we get pulled over and told to return where we came from.
Me: "Officer, why can't we just finish riding over."
Officer: "it is too dangerous."
Me: "It's just as dangerous riding back as it is finishing"
Officer: "Turn around and ride back."
what an A-hole, we had to pay for the damn ferry.
Old 10-26-20, 11:34 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
All of these where cyclists are pulled over are judgement calls by the officer. I'm happy to see cyclists running red lights get tickets - unless it is me when I'm on my carbon bike and the sensor will never tell the light to change!

Double standards can cause personal issues.
Old 10-26-20, 11:35 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by kahrs
In 1975, I elected to violate the restrictions on "Going to the Sun Road" in Glacier National Park. Interestingly enough, it it still prohibited:

"From Logan Creek to Logan Pass east-bound (uphill) bicycle traffic is prohibited between 11 am and 4 pm."

This is/was a major impediment, so I went ahead. I made it through without being stopped. But, then I ran into this:

"From Apgar Campground to Sprague Creek Campground bicycles are prohibited, both directions, between 11 am and 4 pm."

And yep, I was pulled over. I told the officer that I thought it was unreasonable. He offered to write me a ticket so I could contest it, but I decided to stay off the road until 4 p.m. (Actually, I think I started off again at 3:30 ...).

45 years later, I still consider these restrictions to be unreasonable. I think the main reason they exist is that so many "recreational vehicles" are on the road and the inexperience drivers could/would crush you into a wall.
write an e-mail to your congressman.
Old 10-26-20, 11:36 AM
olddcarnutjag

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Big mountain lots of Police

if anybody does the Iornman, watch the scenery, after the long lava ride, I worked in those Hotels, and I live on the mountain, The police have hiding spots, nobody wants to have a tourist die on the road, it is bad for business. My blood pressure went up and no wants the old fat waiter,
zoom down the hill, work a shift, climb the mountain, drink a beer in the shower. From my younger days I know where the Police hide, and I always would brake hard before. Then I hit a goat, wear your helmet.
Likes For olddcarnutjag:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.