Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixed gear with vertical dropouts, has anyone tried this solution?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-19, 11:18 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

I've got a bike that's set up fixed which doesn't have track dropouts. I can't get the right chain tension with my desired gearing and the gearing that gets good tension just bugs me... So, while pondering how make a chain tensioner for a fixed gear bike, I come across this video... Everything appears to work. There would be a bit more stress on the chain, but I can't see anything going catastrophically long. Has anyone run this solution?

Old 12-09-19, 12:13 PM
Casualcoolguy

Bikes: 2010 Bianchi Super Pista, 2012 Felt TK3, Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’ve seen this exact video! Tried it one time just for sh*ts and giggles and it worked.... for a short period of time. Personally no matter how much tension I had on the chain with the sprocket, the second I started hitting bumps and rough road the whole sprocket would dislodge itself and go flying down the road ahead of me. You’d be better of making one of those stripped down Derailer chain tensioning things!
Old 12-09-19, 12:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
My question: does it allow you to keep proper slack in the chain? The chain going tight is a bearing killer for hubs and BBs. i"m guessing that with a high quality crankset and hub (ie velodrome worthy hardware) this could work really well, but with adopted mediocre road equipment, this could be excessively exciting on a fast downhill.

Casualcoolguy, no, on a fix gear,you cannot use any sort of derailleur style tensioner because you will simply fold it up and destroy it the first time you forget you are on a fix gear and try to coast.

I"d rather go with an eccentric BB or hub to do vertical dropout and fix gear. (I do not know if there is an eccentric BB that will work in a standard BB shelll. White Industries makes a hub that works well.) But I"d search out an old 1980s Japanese sport bike or equivalent with horizontal dropouts and just live life the easy way. My winter/rain;city fix gear is just that. Started life as a Peugeot UO-8. Frame was replaced by a Japanese built Schwinn sport frame, then a Sekine, then a Miyata 610 and now a Trek 400 (?). All with sport geometry and horizontal dropouts. (Early-mid '80s were the golden years for bikes. The Japanese had standardized the thin tubed steel frame and threads that everyone around the world had to copy if they wanted sales. You could pull the parts off one bike and put (almost all) of them onto your replacement frame. Might need seatpost and headset. Everything else just dropped on.

Ben
Old 12-09-19, 01:05 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That looks hella sketchy.

The other thing you can try is a "magic gear combination." Basically a chainring x cog combination that allows for a chain length that perfectly fits the BB--dropout distance.
Old 12-09-19, 01:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
As is often the case, Sheldon Brown documented the idea long ago: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tandem-build2.html#okeefe
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-09-19, 01:57 PM
Casualcoolguy

Bikes: 2010 Bianchi Super Pista, 2012 Felt TK3, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My question: does it allow you to keep proper slack in the chain? The chain going tight is a bearing killer for hubs and BBs. i"m guessing that with a high quality crankset and hub (ie velodrome worthy hardware) this could work really well, but with adopted mediocre road equipment, this could be excessively exciting on a fast downhill.

Casualcoolguy, no, on a fix gear,you cannot use any sort of derailleur style tensioner because you will simply fold it up and destroy it the first time you forget you are on a fix gear and try to coast.

I"d rather go with an eccentric BB or hub to do vertical dropout and fix gear. (I do not know if there is an eccentric BB that will work in a standard BB shelll. White Industries makes a hub that works well.) But I"d search out an old 1980s Japanese sport bike or equivalent with horizontal dropouts and just live life the easy way. My winter/rain;city fix gear is just that. Started life as a Peugeot UO-8. Frame was replaced by a Japanese built Schwinn sport frame, then a Sekine, then a Miyata 610 and now a Trek 400 (?). All with sport geometry and horizontal dropouts. (Early-mid '80s were the golden years for bikes. The Japanese had standardized the thin tubed steel frame and threads that everyone around the world had to copy if they wanted sales. You could pull the parts off one bike and put (almost all) of them onto your replacement frame. Might need seatpost and headset. Everything else just dropped on.

Ben

oh good point I totally blanked on the fixed part hahah I assumed it was a single speed thing
Old 12-09-19, 02:43 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I once fixed a V-dropout bike with a half link. Worked well with my preferred chainring and sprocket. I also wouldn't be afraid to file the lead or trail edge of the dropout a tiny bit if it was close.
Old 12-10-19, 08:23 AM
Caliper

Ben
So my bike actually is a mid 80's Schwinn tourer with angled dropouts. It just doesn't quite work right with my desired gear ratios though. Either the chain is loose at the furthest rearward position or I'm nearly kissing the chain stays when I remove a link. Frustrating.

Originally Posted by caloso
The other thing you can try is a "magic gear combination." Basically a chainring x cog combination that allows for a chain length that perfectly fits the BB--dropout distance.
I'm trying to run this with the Wabi 16/18 dingle cog for a gravel fixed gear, so that limits things a bit.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I once fixed a V-dropout bike with a half link. Worked well with my preferred chainring and sprocket. I also wouldn't be afraid to file the lead or trail edge of the dropout a tiny bit if it was close.
How did I not know that a half link was a thing? That will do it, even if it doesn't look as cool.
Old 12-10-19, 01:58 PM
hobbitman

Bikes: Trek 330 Elance Fixed Gear, Raleigh Marathon, Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another Option

Something I've done a few times is use a quick release axle and just cut the axle so it doesn't protrude beyond the lock nuts. This gives you a little wiggle room for chain tension. Note: I wouldn't attempt this unless you're using a good quality, closed cam skewer and it's done up tight. Sheldon Brown offered it up as an option, and I've had good success with it. YMMV, and I'm not responsible if you die a painful death. You can also get a similar result by filing a solid axle on two sides so you can rotate it to give you a little more tension. I've tried the ghost ring option and frankly, I'm just not a fan.
Old 12-15-19, 10:32 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I was going to suggest the half link. I've never had to use them, but they seem to be a good way to fine tune the chain length. Good to see that they do work.
Old 12-16-19, 12:30 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
This idea with the floating chain ring: we used to use that in the Tandem Club as a way of taking the slack out of the chain that connects the two bottom brackets, rather than the final drive chain. It worked.
Old 12-16-19, 01:42 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Half links work very well. I clean the threads (on half links with threaded pins) and use Loctite red. From then on, I break the chain away from the half link. Other half links use a cotter pin like a sailboat shackle. You have to treat them like a sailboat shackle but they are very secure if you do so. (I've trusted my life to those cotter pins many times as an ex-sailor.)

Ben
Old 12-22-19, 08:25 PM
Caliper

Well, the floating ring didn't end up working for my bikes geometry. Too bad. With the dingle cog in there, the outer gearing combo meant that even a tiny 24T ring would rub the inside of the chainstay and at the same time not give enough help to make the chain tension work.
It's now sitting pretty with a half link and the axle is still far enough back to clear full fenders so it's my ultimate dirt road bike for wet days.
Old 12-30-19, 02:22 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You think you've seen everything until something like this pops up.
It looks like it would work for general straight line a to b commuting, but throw any kind of variation in there, or stick it in an urban environment and I would suddenly feel very sketched out.
Some people suggest half-link links, but I'm surprised that a half-link chain is rarely mentioned.
Try a half-link chain.
Old 01-02-20, 12:35 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Half-link chains elongate faster, that's why they aren't recommended much.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-02-20, 04:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleBicycle
Some people suggest half-link links, but I'm surprised that a half-link chain is rarely mentioned.
Try a half-link chain.
There's nothing that a half-link chain can provide that using a single half-link can't provide.
Old 07-06-20, 07:40 AM
yelro
rookie

Bikes: bridgestone, ave maldea custom fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Casualcoolguy
I’ve seen this exact video! Tried it one time just for sh*ts and giggles and it worked.... for a short period of time. Personally no matter how much tension I had on the chain with the sprocket, the second I started hitting bumps and rough road the whole sprocket would dislodge itself and go flying down the road ahead of me. You’d be better of making one of those stripped down Derailer chain tensioning things!
thank you for the tip and sharing your first hand experience of this type of tensioner. Iw about to install a ghost ring for my single speed conversion. now im im. convinced of the rear derailer as tensioner. and i saw many infos vidwos who choose it over attaching a ring. although it looks edgy and fun still.
Old 07-06-20, 07:42 AM
yelro
rookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
There's nothing that a half-link chain can provide that using a single half-link can't provide.
im using half link and a rd rd tensioner. i imagined the wear and tear of tye chain would one day it would loosen atleast i have both solutions attached and ready
Old 07-06-20, 03:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by yelro
im using half link and a rd rd tensioner. i imagined the wear and tear of tye chain would one day it would loosen atleast i have both solutions attached and ready
I've used single half-links for decades and never had a problem.
Old 07-06-20, 05:39 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Sure there is... half link chains provide goofy aesthetics.
Old 07-07-20, 05:16 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Trying to set up a fixed gear with vertical dropouts is just plain dumb.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-23-20, 10:52 PM
son_of_clyde

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Here's a somewhat automated way to see what might work. I wrote the function in matlab, but it should work in octave as well (haven't tested there). Enter distance in inches between crank axis and rear hub axis and the number of chainring teeth. Function returns chain length for given chainring with a range of rear cogs (12 - 22 teeth). For example, P = chain_length(15.5, 45) returns: P =

Possible "working" combinations would be those close (<0.06" maybe) to an integer value. In the above example, 47.0483 (18 tooth cog) and 47.9664 (22 tooth cog) look promising.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

function [P] = chain_length(L, Tf);

% Returns chain length based on L (distance between crank axis and hub axis, inches)
% front sprocket size (Tf, # of teeth), and an array of rear sprocket sizes
% (12 - 22 teeth). A vector of 11 chain lengths is returned, each element corresponding
% to a rear sprocket size.

Tr = [12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22]'; % # teeth on rear sprocket

r1 = 0.25/sin(pi/Tf); % (PD = pitch/sin(pi/Nt)), pitch = 0.5"
r1 = r1*ones(length(Tr), 1);
L_t2 = length(Tr);
r2 = zeros(L_t2, 1);

for i = 1:L_t2;
r2(i) = 0.25/sin(pi/Tr(i));
end

theta = asin((r1 - r2)/L);
x = L*cos(theta);

% P = 2*x + (pi + 2*theta)*r1 + (pi - 2*theta)*r2 % "continuous" length,
% scalar

P1 = 2*x;
P2 = (Tf*0.5)*((pi*ones(L_t2, 1) + 2*theta)/(2*pi));
P3 = (0.5*Tr).*((pi*ones(L_t2, 1) - 2*theta)/(2*pi));
P = P1 + P2 + P3;
Old 08-14-20, 06:24 AM
crankholio

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
If you want to be able to lock up the rear wheel reliably for a skid stop, you need an eccentric rear hub. With vertical drop outs, I'd either get an eccentric rear hub, or I'd just ride single speed.
Old 08-14-20, 06:33 AM
yelro
rookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah I guess eccentric hub for the rear must be real solution if you wont resort to the other proposed solution i.e ghost ring, rear derailleur, or filing the dropouts..
Old 08-14-20, 02:23 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
But I"d search out an old 1980s Japanese sport bike or equivalent with horizontal dropouts and just live life the easy way. My winter/rain;city fix gear is just that. Started life as a Peugeot UO-8. Frame was replaced by a Japanese built Schwinn sport frame, then a Sekine, then a Miyata 610 and now a Trek 400 (?). All with sport geometry and horizontal dropouts. (Early-mid '80s were the golden years for bikes. The Japanese had standardized the thin tubed steel frame and threads that everyone around the world had to copy if they wanted sales. You could pull the parts off one bike and put (almost all) of them onto your replacement frame. Might need seatpost and headset. Everything else just dropped on.

Ben
Yeah, I’m running a Schwinn Sprint frame from about 85 or 86 and it works great for this. This was the bottom of the line bike, so i assume it has straight tubes. Still, it’s a sturdy, lugged frame made for Schwinn in Taiwan and still holding together after about 35 years.

Mind you, I’m just running SS, not fixed, but the semi-horizontal dropout makes it a cinch either way. I have two spots on the dropout where my 42/16 could work, depending on chain length.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 08-14-20 at 02:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.