Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to pack a frame for shipping?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-20, 10:25 PM
Decadence

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I need to send a steel frame interstate, and can't find much info on how to pack it - there are plenty of tutorials on disassembling and packing full bikes into boxes, but nothing about wrapping just the frame.

I'm aware that the fork/rear dropouts need some material in between them so they don't get bent in transit, but should I unscrew the headset and take the forks off of the frame? Should I just use styrofoam wrap/bubble wrap and then wrap that with cardboard?

Any info is appreciated thanks
Old 01-11-20, 07:01 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I work in a bike shop so I will share how we do it. Dropouts get a spacer,you can probably get then at a shop we always have extras, foam tube like pipe insulation around all tubes . Then pack the empty areas with foam,bubble wrap lots of newspaper.
Then use Ship Bikes to send as they use FedEx.
Old 01-11-20, 07:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
search function - Probably 50 threads on this
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...p-bicycle.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ike-101-a.html
Old 01-11-20, 10:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Typically when I get a new frame the fork is separate but that is usually due to the fact I don't have a headset on it because I don't much go for anything but Cane Creek and generally 110 series (except threaded I go Chris King)

It sounds like you got it pretty well figured out. Basically your goal is to make sure the frame doesn't get damaged in shipping do if you wrap it well and put something to hold the dropouts you will be fine.
Old 01-11-20, 02:51 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Remember that the cost of shipping things like this is the size of the box, not the weight
Old 01-11-20, 03:14 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
This frame was shipped last summer. The tubes are protected with foam pool noodles. The dropouts are supported with a wood dowel attached with screws and fender washers. I also fill the voids in the box with strips of cardboard cut the width of the box, they're folded into 10" triangles three layers thick. This is a lot of extra work, but the box is almost crush proof.

Likes For brian3069:
Old 01-12-20, 07:23 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by brian3069

I had a bike frame shipped to me last year and it was packed just like this! It came from factory this way. It was in a giant bike box and was wrapped up in these noodles. It was much prettier but it was the same and it was great. Rear drop outs had a plastic dummy axle in it and the BB had plugs threaded in. The headset also had plastic caps installed. No issues. Took me like 30 minutes to unwrap the darn thing!

They used bike flights to ship being it came from Canada and it was perfect.
Old 01-12-20, 07:50 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Shipping costs are affected by the size of the object as much as by the weight. Try to find a frame box at your local bike store rather than a whole bike box. A more compact carton = lower shipping cost.
Old 01-12-20, 02:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Get a box from a bike shop- one near me gives em out for free with all the packaging in the box. You can then reuse the cardboard and dropout spacers that came with the prior bike.
Get a few pool noodles or some foam pipe insulation. Zip tie and packing tape everything in place.

Cut the box to fit. It takes an extra 10min to cut off any excess length, but it reduces the chance of frame movement and also reduces the shipping cost.
Old 01-15-20, 05:25 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
This is how I shipped an entire 25"-frame touring bike clear across the country. Pool noodles and zip ties. I used PVC pipe and the wheel skewers in the dropouts.

I didn't have the proper tool to remove the headset bearing retainer, so it got shipped with the fork still installed.

I shipped it in a double-wall box that my coworker's e-bike came in. Very sturdy box!