Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do rigid forks hurt your front wheel?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 06:33 PM
RandyYarnemm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been wanting a dirtjumper/ a bmx, and I see people doing huge drops to flat on rigid forks. I am wondering if axles and hubs and rim's go quickly? On my 29er with air assist rockshox I managed to bemt the qr axle (twice). Alsi as a trials unicyclist (yes we exist haha) I've destroyed hubs rim's, spokes and everything. Just wondering if I get a bike with a rigid fork if I'll be replacing wheels alot or not?
Old 05-08-20, 06:40 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Recent studies have shown that you reduce whell live over 52.76% with ridgid fourk.
Old 05-08-20, 06:45 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyYarnemm
I've been wanting a dirtjumper/ a bmx, and I see people doing huge drops to flat on rigid forks. I am wondering if axles and hubs and rim's go quickly? On my 29er with air assist rockshox I managed to bemt the qr axle (twice). Alsi as a trials unicyclist (yes we exist haha) I've destroyed hubs rim's, spokes and everything. Just wondering if I get a bike with a rigid fork if I'll be replacing wheels alot or not?
I've watched a friend of mine nail dirt jumps all-day in his backyard with no issues. I would think that the short spokes and smaller rims are stronger, just from a physics standpoint, and are likely built with abuse in-mind. I would assume the hubs are also built with the idea that they're going to see quite a bit of "heavy duty" use.
Old 05-08-20, 06:52 PM
RandyYarnemm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
I've watched a friend of mine nail dirt jumps all-day in his backyard with no issues. I would think that the short spokes and smaller rims are stronger, just from a physics standpoint, and are likely built with abuse in-mind. I would assume the hubs are also built with the idea that they're going to see quite a bit of "heavy duty" use.
Huh that sounds interesting (I'll be doing alot of street riding), okay that makes sense about the built durability, it's a 26 inch so somewhat bigger and more delicate,
Old 05-09-20, 10:05 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
If Danny MacAskill can ride without suspension then so can you You'll never do anything more extreme than what he does (unless you are insane)

Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 05-09-20, 10:25 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Your weight and the rims and the spokes all matter a lot for this. I baby my wheels and don't even jump curbs on my fixed fork 26 inch mtb, but if I had double wall rims and were under 200 lbs then I would not be concerned much doing jumps.
Old 05-09-20, 03:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don’t think riding rigid is any harder on the fork, rims, or hubs. Or anything on the bike, really. Couple reasons...

First, the majority of the weight on a bike is the rider and even on a rigid bike, that is suspended. The difference is that your arms and legs are the suspension instead of a fork and shock. This is why drops and blowing through rock gardens is easier on a suspended bike. The suspension is dissipating all that energy hitting the wheels instead of you.

Second: because of the first point, even if it is the case that dropping to flat or blowing through a rock garden is a little harder on the rigid fork/wheel, in reality you don’t drop as far or hit the rock garden as fast on a rigid.

Guys dropping big drops or blow through rock gardens on rigid bikes can do so because they can effectively use their arms and legs as suspension to absorb the shocks.
Old 05-09-20, 08:04 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
If Danny MacAskill can ride without suspension then so can you You'll never do anything more extreme than what he does (unless you are insane)

Let's not forget Ashton and Danny and others doing RoadBike Partys... I'm still amazed the bikes used in each handled it all. No idea how many wheels or tires though!
Old 05-10-20, 07:08 AM
RandyYarnemm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay so turns out the bike is a 24 inch, but so saying the weight hitting the wheel is the same on both, isnt that wrong? Isnt it more like, you have a chissil(your forks) and hit it with a hammer(your weight coming down on the forks) in a concrete floor(your wheel), the concrete breaks (for rigid forks), but for suspension forks, you have a chisel but theres a spring on top of it(suspension forks) so when the hammer (your weight coming down after hitting a jump), comes down onto the chisel, by the time the spring bottoms out and transfers its weight onto the concrete floor(wheel), it will be slowed enough not to break the concrete
Old 05-10-20, 07:17 AM
RandyYarnemm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But I weigh 140 and I'm pretty okay at soaking up landing, that's why i started this thread, to figure out how in the world Danny's front wheel isnt disinegrating its self, but it makes complete sense about your body being the suspension
Old 05-10-20, 07:34 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Okay so turns out the bike is a 24 inch, but so saying the weight hitting the wheel is the same on both, isnt that wrong? Isnt it more like, you have a chissil(your forks) and hit it with a hammer(your weight coming down on the forks) in a concrete floor(your wheel), the concrete breaks (for rigid forks), but for suspension forks, you have a chisel but theres a spring on top of it(suspension forks) so when the hammer (your weight coming down after hitting a jump), comes down onto the chisel, by the time the spring bottoms out and transfers its weight onto the concrete floor(wheel), it will be slowed enough not to break the concrete

Except that you are not like a hammer.
Old 05-10-20, 08:33 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
And I hop off curbs all the time on my CF crit bike, with low/mid level Campy wheels.
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 05-10-20, 09:28 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
Let's not forget Ashton and Danny and others doing RoadBike Partys... I'm still amazed the bikes used in each handled it all. No idea how many wheels or tires though!

One flat tire and a few scratches from the 1st Road Bike Party IIRC,
Old 05-10-20, 09:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Frankly, you need to work on your landings.

Front wheels are fairly bombproof. The symmetry of the wheel makes the forces on the wheel fairly even. Hub mounted disc brakes introduce dish to the wheel which reduces their strength some but they are still stronger than rear wheels. The shorter axle also makes them stronger. I’m not sure how you bent a front axle but I suspect it’s related to a fork problem rather than a hub problem.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-11-20, 01:48 PM
RandyYarnemm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Frankly, you need to work on your landings.

Front wheels are fairly bombproof. The symmetry of the wheel makes the forces on the wheel fairly even. Hub mounted disc brakes introduce dish to the wheel which reduces their strength some but they are still stronger than rear wheels. The shorter axle also makes them stronger. I’m not sure how you bent a front axle but I suspect it’s related to a fork problem rather than a hub problem.
yeah as I belive, on the other bike I had my psi at like 30 because all the ground where I ride at is sand so that's probably why