Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What did I just buy?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What did I just buy?

Old 07-21-20, 07:45 PM
dougdunn

Bikes: '76 Centurion Pro Tour, '78 Centurion Super LeMans custom, '10 Scott CR1 Comp/Pro, '11 KHS Tandemania Cross, '96 Kestrel 200 SCi, German Centurion Al Road Bike, Cannondale 500 (M&W), Museeuw/ZRace project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What did I just buy?

Just bought a set of brand new looking "Zerolite Comp by Vuelta" wheels. Didn't really look hard at them as I was in a hurry. First thing - no skewers. 2nd thing - no cassette or freewheel - and - here is where I am puzzled - both sides of the rear hub are threaded, and one side is threaded in two different diameters (like "terraced"). What is going on here and what do I need to do for a cassette?

Nice rims and spokes

One side of the rear hub - threaded

Other side of the rear hub with the two-level threading
Old 07-21-20, 07:54 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Flip flop hubs.Single speed on one side, fixie on the other?
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Those are singlespeed/track rims I think.
you will find the rear is too narrow for a geared bikes dropouts.

Barry
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,365 Posts
Could it be you have a dual purpose wheel? A flip flop on one side and a single speed freewheel on the other?

I just posted the same basic issue. Can't seem to copy and paste but my thread was "Confusing Tubular Wheel".
Old 07-21-20, 08:45 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Just an observation on economics. William Simon (Nobel Prize in Economics) proposed two different buyer types. The first is the "Satisficer". That type of person, if they needed a sweater, would go to the store and buy the first sweater that met needs (my size, dark color, less that 200 dollars). An "Optimizer" on the other hand, would spend weeks researching sweaters to find the finest fabric, the best wool, the precise color, the brand that fit his/her body type, etc etc.

OP, you apparently are a satisficer. (You guys tend to be happier than us optimizer). Anyway, I think that this is a flip-flop hub. The stepped thread on one size accepts a lockring. The other side is threaded for a freewheel.
Old 07-21-20, 10:31 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dougdunn
Just bought a set of brand new looking "Zerolite Comp by Vuelta" wheels. Didn't really look hard at them as I was in a hurry. First thing - no skewers. 2nd thing - no cassette or freewheel - and - here is where I am puzzled - both sides of the rear hub are threaded, and one side is threaded in two different diameters (like "terraced"). What is going on here and what do I need to do for a cassette?

Nice rims and spokes

One side of the rear hub - threaded

Other side of the rear hub with the two-level threading
flip-flop track/single-speed/fixie hubs - the “step” is for a left hand threaded lock ring to hold the fixed sprocket on. The other side is for a single- or multi-speed freewheel (this won’t take any cassette). It has QR-compatible hollow axles, but they look too long to use QR skewers - think these are sized for track nuts.
Man, how much of a hurry were you in......?😟

Last edited by Litespud; 07-21-20 at 10:41 PM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 07-22-20, 05:16 AM
dougdunn

Bikes: '76 Centurion Pro Tour, '78 Centurion Super LeMans custom, '10 Scott CR1 Comp/Pro, '11 KHS Tandemania Cross, '96 Kestrel 200 SCi, German Centurion Al Road Bike, Cannondale 500 (M&W), Museeuw/ZRace project

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
flip-flop track/single-speed/fixie hubs - the “step” is for a left hand threaded lock ring to hold the fixed sprocket on. The other side is for a single- or multi-speed freewheel (this won’t take any cassette). It has QR-compatible hollow axles, but they look too long to use QR skewers - think these are sized for track nuts.
Man, how much of a hurry were you in......?😟
Oh, just damned stupid I guess. New hub eh?
Old 07-22-20, 05:31 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Not all wheels are the same.
Not all rims are the same.
Not all hubs are the same.
Not all spokes are the same.
Not all axles are the same.
Old 07-22-20, 05:46 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
The question is for what purpose did you buy them?
Old 07-22-20, 06:19 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
probably new spokes also, as you’ll need to dish the wheel for a freehub. Unless you can build the wheel yourself, add the cost of the build. May not be economically viable. In your shoes, I’d either sell them as a good single/fixie wheel set, or find an old frame and explore the wonderful world of fixed-gear riding
Old 07-22-20, 06:20 AM
xg5a

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I like the dog cameo in the first photo.
Likes For xg5a:
Old 07-22-20, 06:57 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by xg5a
I like the dog cameo in the first photo.
Yes! The Overseer:

Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 07-22-20, 12:47 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Just an observation on economics. William Simon (Nobel Prize in Economics) proposed two different buyer types. The first is the "Satisficer". That type of person, if they needed a sweater, would go to the store and buy the first sweater that met needs (my size, dark color, less that 200 dollars). An "Optimizer" on the other hand, would spend weeks researching sweaters to find the finest fabric, the best wool, the precise color, the brand that fit his/her body type, etc etc.

OP, you apparently are a satisficer. (You guys tend to be happier than us optimizer). Anyway, I think that this is a flip-flop hub. The stepped thread on one size accepts a lockring. The other side is threaded for a freewheel.
There is a third type of buyer; the impulse buyer. Buys the first thing he sees without making sure it really does meet his needs. I think the OP did just that, bought a track/fixie/single speed wheel that probably won't fit his bike's dropouts and wasn't what he needed.

A corollary to the impulse buyer is the bargain buyer. My aunt was famous in our family for her comment about something she bought at a sale; "I had absolutely no need for it but couldn't say no at the price."
Likes For HillRider:
Old 07-22-20, 04:59 PM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
What is the axle spacing?
If the axle is long enough there's no reason why you can't just install a freewheel re-space the axle and dish the wheel accordingly to match.

A lot depends on what type of bike you wanted to use these on. Right now their set up as a flip flop rear, but the presence of ta hollow axle tells me its not likely a track bike wheelset but just a set of wheels someone built up or ordered to convert their current bike to single speed. Measure the overall axle length, and measure the overall lock nut to lock nut distance. Skewers are no big deal, chances are you can use either your old skewers or source a set elsewhere.
If the wheel is dished evenly left and right, and the spokes are proper length, there's no reason why it won't handle being redished for a freewheel. The difference in the average wheel side to side is on millimeter or less in spoke length. The majority of factory built wheels for years used one spoke length front and rear and they worked fine.
Old 07-24-20, 04:07 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
I suggest a new fixie frame to go with those flip-flop wheels!

Old 07-24-20, 11:31 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Unless you can actually put that wheel to use or do the work yourself to make it work, put it for sale and get what you can for it, cut your losses and move on and get what you need, with the knowledge you've gained.
Likes For Camilo: