Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank Arm Keeps Loosening

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 03:10 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts

I think its fubar. Non drive side, came loose on ride, had LBS tighten and was loose by the time I was 10 miles later. Going to guess the flats in square taper are messed up. Sugino XD600. Can you file the flat down on these or is that wishful thinking?
Old 07-31-20, 03:15 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I think you are right and it's probably done. Good thing is that a left-side crank is easy to replace, just get the same length and taper orientation, "square" or "diamond" as the old one. It will work even if it is not a perfect match. And make certain to adequately torque the new one (and its mate) so the same thing doesn't happen again.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-31-20, 06:27 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4207 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Agreed that repeated loosening after retightening is the classic example of the arm's tapered hole being deformed. Trying to file the flats flat will not work, or the various attempts I've seen never have worked out. Replace the arm, torque down properly and revisit the retaining bolt's torque after the initial few rides. Andy
Old 07-31-20, 06:51 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Yeah, took it off, its deformed. Looking at Sugino stuff, back ordered all over the place. I have an old RSX crank arm to sub in. Ugly fix but hey.....
Can spindle cause problems, anything to look for so I don't kill another arm?
Old 07-31-20, 08:38 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Yeah, took it off, its deformed. Looking at Sugino stuff, back ordered all over the place. I have an old RSX crank arm to sub in. Ugly fix but hey.....
Can spindle cause problems, anything to look for so I don't kill another arm?
No, the spindle isn't the cause; it's caused by riding with the arm not securely fastened to the spindle. When you install the new arm, make sure it is properly torqued to the spindle, and check it again after a couple rides.
Old 07-31-20, 09:03 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 976 Posts
Square taper spindles are made of steel which is much harder than the aluminum alloy crank arms. 99.9% of the time the crank arm has to be replaced

Last edited by alcjphil; 08-03-20 at 11:54 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-31-20, 10:03 PM
etherhuffer 

OK. Searched for single crank arms. Sugino line up/quality is a bit opaque. Can I get an RD, Messenger, Mighty, etc in lieu of the XD? This is for touring bike and while I am over 200 lbs I don't break stuff. This fubar must have been from me during the build as bike has less than 500 miles on it. Found a spare RSX crank for a temporary kludge fix
Old 08-01-20, 02:09 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I save the odd crankarm by crazy-gluing a piece of soda can on each of the flats of the spindle. Maybe not a permanent fix but it should work until you source and receive a replacement crankarm.

Cheers
Old 08-02-20, 11:43 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I had this happen at Burning Man last year. Solved it by having an itinerant welder put a spot weld between the spindle and retaining nut. When I got home I trashed everything, cranks, and spindle and replaced with another new used set.

I was thinking that some blue lock tight on the retaining nut/bolt might work for a while. Blue lock tight on the spindle taper before assembly might work for a while. Red lock tight on everything might work for longer than you want it to.