Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are some tires hard to change?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-22-20, 11:11 AM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

I have volunteered on a lot of bike rides over the years. I changed hundreds of tires. Some tires are easy to change, while some fight all the way. The width on the rims varies but they are all 700 size with a 622mm BSD.

So what is it that makes some tires easy to change and some not at all easy?
Old 08-22-20, 01:26 PM
jo_lacs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
1) Double walled rims seem to make tire changing a bit harder than single walled rims. 2) Folding bead tires IMO are easier to unmount as oppose to wire beaded tires, however, mounting folding bead tires could be another story. 3) Certain tire brands seem to be harder to change than others. 4) Any combination of the above.
Likes For jo_lacs:
Old 08-22-20, 02:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
You shouldn't discount the phase of the moon. In fact, begin keeping records now and report back in a year.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-22-20, 02:56 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Talking clinchers here... In my experience, it's more about the rim than the tire. Two that are real bears are the Ambrosio Extra Elite and Mavic MA40. Folding tires have been more difficult than wire bead, especially on these two rims. I don't ever want to mount folders on that Ambrosio rim ever again.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-22-20, 05:05 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
The hardest tires to mount for me were a set of wire bead tires on my daughter’s Raleigh after she bought a set of MA40 Mavic rims for it. They weren’t impossible , but the needed the tire levers the last third of the way. I can usually mount tires without them or maybe the last couple of inches .
Old 08-22-20, 10:38 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Talking clinchers here... In my experience, it's more about the rim than the tire. Two that are real bears are the Ambrosio Extra Elite and Mavic MA40. Folding tires have been more difficult than wire bead, especially on these two rims. I don't ever want to mount folders on that Ambrosio rim ever again.
The MA40s are fine, you could even use a thick rim tape like Velox on them.
Old 08-22-20, 11:44 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I think it’s simply due to production tolerances of tires and rims. Measuring a rim circumference accurately enough at home could be done w/o too much trouble, but measuring a tire bead accurately isn’t as easy. Had some Geax Street Runners that were beasts to mount on Mavic rims. Some Suomityres W106 that weren’t much fun either. Schwalbe Marathon winter and Conti Sport Contact didn’t put up half as much of a fight.
Old 08-23-20, 08:46 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I think it’s simply due to production tolerances of tires and rims. Measuring a rim circumference accurately enough at home could be done w/o too much trouble, but measuring a tire bead accurately isn’t as easy. Had some Geax Street Runners that were beasts to mount on Mavic rims. Some Suomityres W106 that weren’t much fun either. Schwalbe Marathon winter and Conti Sport Contact didn’t put up half as much of a fight.
It's the shape of the depression at the rim centerline which determines how much slack you can create and the resulting ease of mounting tires.

0.010" larger diameter there can mean the difference between cussing at tools and comfortably hand mounting tires.

Velox is 0.020", thin rim tapes 0.010", two wraps of Stans or filament tape about 0.010", and two wraps of 1 mil Kapton 0.005". Use 5/8" (16mm) for traditional wheels and 3/4" or wider (19mm) for contemporary wide rims. As added bonuses, Kapton is the lightest and least expensive rim tape. It's often used for circuit board rework, and can be purchased on Amazon or eBay.

You also want to finish at the valve stem on tight rims. Starting there handicaps you with the valve stem keeping the bead out of the smallest diameter part of the rim bed.

From https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-mounting.html

Don't finish like this:

or use a bicycle rim tape thicker than necessary like this:

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-23-20 at 10:28 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 08-23-20, 09:58 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Its always seemed random in the years I've been riding. Certain models of tires from certain brands don't work well with certain models of rims from certain brands. The only tires I've found to be a universal b!itch to get on-and-off are Vittoria 700 tires of 28mm or smaller width, and Schwalbe touring-style tires (Marathon and Marathon Plus). Surprisingly easy to mount were the Performance Bike Gotham Street tires; heavy tires but cheap (<$20), puncture-resistant, and rolled nicely on my utility and SS bicycles. When they went out of business I bought 6 of those (700 x 32 size). If I buy a new brand/model of tire and can't get it to mount easily at home I'll take it back and exchange it for something else, I just don't want to get stuck on the side of the road struggling with a tire.
Old 08-23-20, 10:12 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Its always seemed random in the years I've been riding. Certain models of tires from certain brands don't work well with certain models of rims from certain brands. The only tires I've found to be a universal b!itch to get on-and-off are Vittoria 700 tires of 28mm or smaller width, and Schwalbe touring-style tires (Marathon and Marathon Plus).
Also my experience. Mounting a Vittoria tire on a trek Matrix road rim was always the worst combo, the narrow aero matrix was always tough to mount a tire to, make it the Vittiora.
Open tubulars can also be deceptively tough to mount but once they've sat on the rim with tire pressure for a week you don't need tools to change flats.
Some tires are built to tighter tolerances and some rims fudge the diameter just a touch, the wrong combination can really suck; in my opinion the whole tubeless road movement has only made the situation worse and I can't stand them.
Old 08-24-20, 02:24 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
The problem is there are no standards. The bike industry has resolutely resisted all attempts to impose standards. In particular the American branch of the industry does nothing but throw monkey wrenches in the works. The Bicycle Technical Committee of the International Standards Organization has been wholly disbanded a few times because the children have not learned how to play together.
Old 08-24-20, 04:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
I think that it's getting harder as more and more rims are made Tubeless Ready. Even if you're using tubes, the bead 'shelves' are robbing space for the tire to be maneuvered -- making the final stretch of the final portion of the tire bead that much harder. A good article: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Gravel/Tu...tion_7352.html