Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waterproof Shoe for Cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 08:13 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Okay, I am a pretty active road cyclist, probably 100+ miles a week. However, I do not clip in. I ride with partial toe clips and running shoes. I can maintain 13-14 mph and if I want to stop and walk around all is good.

So I need a pair of shoes or maybe two pair of shoes for when the weather turns. As long as the weather is dry I am good in my running shoes, but when it is a bit raining (not a downpour - cause I will just hit the trainer) I need a waterproof shoe that will work with my toe clips? Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-20, 04:40 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I do not have a particular recommendation, but I will say that waterproof shoes are guaranteed to make/keep your feet wet (waterproof gloves will do the same for your hands, IMO).
Likes For epnnf:
Old 09-10-20, 04:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
maybe something simple.. been around for decades?

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-10-20, 05:07 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
gore tex hiking boots
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-10-20, 07:20 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I have a set of waterproof socks. They are Sealskin brand I believe. They work good and are about the overall thickness of a set of winter wool socks. I usually just wear performance wool socks all the time and don't worry about my feet much. We don't get the endless cold weather here though.
Old 09-11-20, 06:38 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I commute year round in toe clips and straps and firm-soled sneakers. I usually get inexpensive synthetic shoes so the rain doesn't hurt them. In the winter I have sneakers with LED lights in the soles for visibility.

I let my shoes get wet.

If there is snow I put my foot with sock in a plastic grocery bag before putting on my shoe and ties the bag loosely around my ankle, tucking the excess plastic into my shoe.

As far as rain, a long front fender that tucks under the curve of the wheel with a flap that skims the pavement works wonders at keeping your feet dry while cycling in the rain and wet.
Old 09-11-20, 06:54 AM
rymz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordTrax
Okay, I am a pretty active road cyclist, probably 100+ miles a week. However, I do not clip in. I ride with partial toe clips and running shoes. I can maintain 13-14 mph and if I want to stop and walk around all is good.

So I need a pair of shoes or maybe two pair of shoes for when the weather turns. As long as the weather is dry I am good in my running shoes, but when it is a bit raining (not a downpour - cause I will just hit the trainer) I need a waterproof shoe that will work with my toe clips? Any suggestions?
1. Put mud guards on your bike.
2. Buy a bunch of running shoes and rotate them daily.
3. Dont wear socks.
4. Get yourself a pair of old style leather cycling shoes.
5. Water proof shoes most likely will be a step backwards as your feet and socks will get soggy with sweat. Shoes need to breathe.
6. It usually doesnt rain long so find somewhere to sit it out.
Old 09-11-20, 07:46 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
There are sprays made for making hiking boots, and shoes water resistant. I"ve used spray for my hiking boots, and it works very well. Might be worth a try. Might try some 3M Scotchgard: https://www.scotchgard.com/3M/en_US/...4529207&rt=rud

Last edited by freeranger; 09-11-20 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 07:59 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Some nice hiking/trail sneakers out there that might do the trick.
Old 09-11-20, 08:51 AM
barakah

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTrax

cannot proof water but there are items out there that will resist water, I do not race as I am a commuter; I like my redwings boot 8 inch high with gortex liner, a little heavy but I always arrive at work dry.

Last edited by barakah; 09-11-20 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 10:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have mudguards and when raining heavily a rain cape
water proof ? : L L Bean shoes rubber with leather uppers..

Old 09-11-20, 10:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Want your clipless pedal system? you buy rain covers for your shoes probably still not be bones in the desert dry.
Old 09-11-20, 10:23 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Showers Pass brand of rain booties work well, although, like already written, you'll still feel damp/wet from perspiration.
Old 09-11-20, 10:44 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
In light rain, you can keep your feet dry with some of the ideas already recommended here. In a heavier or consistent rain where you're out for a longer period of time, like more than 15 minutes, your feet will get wet from water running down your leg. There isn't much you can do about this unless you get gators for your shoes and water proof pants that go over the gators. Then you're probably gonna get wet from all the sweat.
Old 09-12-20, 03:29 PM
wilson_smyth

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
Waterproof shoes will rarely be waterproof 3 hours into a cycle, it's just a long time for a piece of clothing with a large hole in the top to keep water out. The rest of your clothing must also be waterproof as if the pants are not waterproof, water gets in the top. Also need a good jacket. For heavy rain you need a full setup.

For commuting I have a pair of Columbia outdry hiking shoes. If it's raining heavy I have a pair of waterproof "breathable" trousers and over them a pair of regular hiking gaiters. This does a great job at keeping heavy rain out for at least an hour.

It's not a typical cycling setup, but it works for hiking so I assumed it would work for cycling and it does. It is used by more than I, an accomplished athlete who cycles a lot recommended it to me.

Have realistic expectations, nothing is waterproof in definately and the longer you're out in a downpour the more time water has to find all the little paths in.
Old 09-12-20, 04:20 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Lightweight hiking shoes with GoreTex treat me very well.

I don’t seem to have the problem with hot feet that some others complain about with GoreTex
Old 09-12-20, 05:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Unless you have a foolproof way to keep water from running into your shoe, water will flow down your ankle and into your shoe unless you either address that or simply don''t ride when itia that wet. If you ride long enough distances in enough wet, water will find its way. Between extremely high local humidity, the capillary action of almost al fabrics and gravity ...

I rode a race back in a distant millennium where it started raining 12 hours before the start and didn't stop until after we finished (4 1/2 hours later). Not "hard", but a solid steady the entire time. I've never been so wet. Neither have my bikes. At the 1/3rd point of the race, we were riding beside a river and it crossed all of our minds that we could veer into it and not get any wetter.

After the race there was arather animated idscussoin of shoes. Now, traditional leather cycling shoes back then had one to three holes in the sole between the ball of the foot and toes. mOst of us wore such shoes and never thought about it. Yes, our feet were just as wet as the rest of us but so what? But the few wearing shoes without the holes? They had a lot to say? Pure misery for their feet; sitting in full, sloshing. heavy bathtubs

I've never tried to verify their experience. Just took it as "the word'. Holes in the sole are good! I've drilled them on shoes that came without.

Ben
Old 09-12-20, 05:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Now, I did go to real lengths to keep my feet as warm as possible with my 45North cycling boots. I made special gators of stretchy outdoor fabric (not waterproof). They fit snug over my ankles. under my tights or leg warmers and over the boots. Idea is to get water to run down inside the fabric past the ankle opening of the boot. Works quite nicely but it is is for temperatures below 40F. (Also keeps much of the cold air out. I am long enough that a gap between leggings and boot tops is a given unless I go custom clothes.)
Old 09-12-20, 05:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
My feet are prone to Athlete's Foot for some reason, so hermetically sealing them in order to keep out rain water is the last thing I'd want to do! I go in the opposite direction and let them breathe. Get some biking sandals, and though your feet will get wet in a downpour, they will also dry quickly once the sun comes out again.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-13-20, 01:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Agree with @epnnf that truly waterproof shoes will simply trap the sweat and your feet will get wet anyway. Traditional bike shoes had drain holes in the soles to allow water to drain out rather than accumulate in the shoe. Can you put such holes in your current shoes, or search up some traditional bike shoes?
Old 09-13-20, 02:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

One advantage in SiDis synthetic leather used by them is they get wet & dried repeatedly without much damage..

there's Gore-tex Over socks to try to keep your socks from being drenched..
Old 09-14-20, 03:46 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
At colder temps when wet shoes and socks become uncomfortable I use the Vaude Bike Gaiter shoe covers. They are very much water proof and work very well. In summer I don't mind getting wet feet. The shoes will dry over night.