Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schrader-to-Presta valve adapter OR rim adapter??

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-15-20, 05:11 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts

Just bought a new low-budget winter commuter (Giant Escape Disc). Wheels come with Schrader-valve rims and tubes. My other bike has Presta valve stems. My CO2 cartridge inflators only work with Presta.

So should I:

1. Buy a Schrader-to-Presta valve adapter that I screw on the Schrader valve stem when I need to re-inflate the tube after a flat repair...

OR

2. Convert my wheel rims to smaller Presta-size holes using a different adapter (it inserts into the larger Schrader-specific hole in the rim and makes it smaller for the Presta valve stem to fit snugly) and then switch to presto valve tubes, just like my other bike?

Buying a whole new wheel-set that is better and lighter (and has Presta valves rims) would be my preference, but it'll cost a whole lot more and I can't really justify the expense right now.
Old 10-15-20, 05:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
#2 . Once and done. No need to shout....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-15-20, 05:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
1 if you dont ever plan on changing wheels & is okay buying two different tube styles.
Old 10-15-20, 05:46 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
#2 . Once and done. No need to shout....
Bold isn't shouting; ALLCAPS is. Just sayin'...
Old 10-15-20, 05:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
very bold of you to scream.
Old 10-15-20, 05:56 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I hadn't seen a Schrader to Presta valve adapter before. I used the presta to Schrader valve converter and keep one with me on rides. The $10 (looks like each?) cost for the Schrader adapter is too much more than my cost for new tubes for me to consider it over switching to presta. BTW, I had one bike that was converted and I bought the Wheels Manufacturing hole sleeves. I managed to lose one while changing a flat on the road and I continued to ride the bike without it for a couple of years and many miles without ever replacing it.
Old 10-15-20, 06:13 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Anyway... no need to BOLD.

I say spend the $15 and just buy a new CO2 head for a Schrader valve and call it a day.

Personally, each of my bikes have their own saddle bag since they use different side tubes and I carry a 16g CO2 for my road bike and a 20g for my CX bike.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-15-20, 06:17 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by GlennR
Anyway... no need to BOLD.

I say spend the $15 and just buy a new CO2 head for a Schrader valve and call it a day.

Personally, each of my bikes have their own saddle bag since they use different side tubes and I carry a 16g CO2 for my road bike and a 20g for my CX bike.

Good advice. Thanks.

BTW, bold is fine by me. it's not about need or not need, its about style...
Old 10-15-20, 06:21 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I hadn't seen a Schrader to Presta valve adapter before. I used the presta to Schrader valve converter and keep one with me on rides. The $10 (looks like each?) cost for the Schrader adapter is too much more than my cost for new tubes for me to consider it over switching to presta. BTW, I had one bike that was converted and I bought the Wheels Manufacturing hole sleeves. I managed to lose one while changing a flat on the road and I continued to ride the bike without it for a couple of years and many miles without ever replacing it.
So you're saying that a skinny Presta valve sticking out through a larger Schrader rim hole is no big deal? Maybe not. My only worry would be the side of the valve stem flopping around a bit in the larger hole, but maybe that's not an issue when the tube is fully inflated. Or maybe the pressurized tube pushing itself out and around the valve stem into the hole and outside the rim? Nightmare scenario.
Old 10-15-20, 06:34 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Good advice. Thanks.

BTW, bold is fine by me. it's not about need or not need, its about style...
Then add some emojis
Old 10-15-20, 06:40 PM
Oldbill
Touring Rocks

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Use your Presta tubes. Make a spacer by taking a Schrader valve cap, cut off the closed end and slide it over the Presta valve. Run the nut on the Presta valve down over it to hold it in place.
Likes For Oldbill:
Old 10-15-20, 11:21 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
I’ve used presta for years and just picked up a wheelset with Shrader holes.

There are some knurled presta locknuts that have a shoulder that is supposed to fit into the larger Shrader hole. Just thread them on the presta valve. They are still in the mail, but 10pcs for $10 seemed like a cheap, easy fix.

John
Old 10-16-20, 04:48 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’ve used presta for years and just picked up a wheelset with Shrader holes.

There are some knurled presta locknuts that have a shoulder that is supposed to fit into the larger Shrader hole. Just thread them on the presta valve. They are still in the mail, but 10pcs for $10 seemed like a cheap, easy fix.

John
This. I have a bag full of these presta nuts designed for schrader holes. I think they come standard issue on Continental tubes.

I have no idea how well they work, I've never tried running presta tubes in a schrader hole.
Old 10-16-20, 06:44 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
So you're saying that a skinny Presta valve sticking out through a larger Schrader rim hole is no big deal? Maybe not. My only worry would be the side of the valve stem flopping around a bit in the larger hole, but maybe that's not an issue when the tube is fully inflated. Or maybe the pressurized tube pushing itself out and around the valve stem into the hole and outside the rim? Nightmare scenario.
Tubes are heavily reinforced in the area surrounding the valve stem. Schrader-to-presta grommets are for insurance/peace of mind. If you ride with ridiculously low pressure in your tires, the tube might shift sideways, resulting in a tear at the base of the valve, but that can regardless of whether the valve is a presta in a Schrader-drilled rim, a presta in a presta-drilled rim, or a Schrader in a Schrader-drilled rim.
Old 10-16-20, 06:54 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
They make adapters that shim a schrader valve hole down to presta valve hole size. Use one of those. Or, never mind and just use a presta valve in the existing hole. I've done so for over a decade with no failures. Presta/Schrader chucks are almost universal on floor pumps these days, and are available as replacements too - also an option. I've never seen or heard of something you screw onto a schrader valve to convert it to presta, and am having a hard time figuring how it would work in practice.
Old 10-16-20, 09:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
1. Buy a Schrader-to-Presta valve adapter that I screw on the Schrader valve stem when I need to re-inflate the tube after a flat repair...
Do this. I have one for a wheel that was mistakenly drilled out to Schrader by a previous owner. So both wheels now run Presta tubes and its totally good.

The Wheels Mfg adapter fits well, doesnt rattle, and protects the tube from slicing on the edge of the rim. It also allows for fast tire inflation since you dont need that pump adapter.
There isnt a downside to using it.
Old 10-16-20, 04:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
This. I have a bag full of these presta nuts designed for schrader holes. I think they come standard issue on Continental tubes.

I have no idea how well they work, I've never tried running presta tubes in a schrader hole.
Yeah, those are the ones. I bought the new Shrader wheelset as backup wheels; older 26” rim brake mtb wheels are hard to find or obscenely expensive. I’ll see how they work, but thankfully I found some reasonably priced NOS rims and will lace them up first.

John
Old 10-16-20, 08:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
WHY SO MUCH SHOUTING AND BOLD WHAT IS THE POINT?

Seriously folks if you need to use bold to highlight something sure but for your entire text? Really? What next Comic Sans MS or maybe some fire up the old Geocities for some sparkle letters. Make your point as everyone else does no need to shout no need to bold your entire text. It doesn't impress and just looks silly.

If you are commuting just use a dang pump or build up another seatbag with the proper co2 inflator or don't buy bikes with car tire valves.

For $830 you get Altus shifters and a proprietary seatpost gotta love Giant.
Old 10-16-20, 08:56 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by veganbikes
WHY SO MUCH SHOUTING AND BOLD WHAT IS THE POINT?

Seriously folks if you need to use bold to highlight something sure but for your entire text? Really? What next Comic Sans MS or maybe some fire up the old Geocities for some sparkle letters. Make your point as everyone else does no need to shout no need to bold your entire text. It doesn't impress and just looks silly.

If you are commuting just use a dang pump or build up another seatbag with the proper co2 inflator or don't buy bikes with car tire valves.

For $830 you get Altus shifters and a proprietary seatpost gotta love Giant.
Relax, dude, it's only a typeface. If a few bold sentences upset you that much...maybe you need to get out more. Maybe go ride your bike; it'll all feel better afterwards.

PS: the angry tone of your post might have been better served with some strategic bolding here and there... for more impact!
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 10-16-20, 09:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Relax, dude, it's only a typeface. If a few bold sentences upset you that much...maybe you need to get out more. Maybe go ride your bike; it'll all feel better afterwards.

PS: the angry tone of your post might have been better served with some strategic bolding here and there... for more impact!
Oh I am very relaxed and it is also late a night in my area rand I really don't want to ride right now. I am actually quite relaxed chilling here on bike forums watching Youtoobs and winding down for the night. Sometimes my snark can be interpreted as anger when it is text on the page but rarely does an online forum make me truly angry.

Getting out, was a fun pastime. 2019 held such better days.

Didn't need to bold anything for impact, I especially wouldn't do it over car tire valves on a Giant. Maybe if I had gotten a true dream bike or if I had just eaten a Pacqui One Chip or had a bacchanalian orgy of delight I could see the need for excitement and boldness.
Old 10-16-20, 11:14 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
The first thing I did with all my Dyad rims, is drill the buggers bigger. LOL. It is really hard to find schraeder tubes with a valve at least 40 mm and threaded. The makers seem to think they are only used on single wall steel rims. Pffft.
I think it's funny how the LBSs all have a box of presta to schraeder adapters at the till. Those are for the open end.
I actually used one with a metal valve cap, for a cable stop on my SA setup.
I wouldn't use CO2 in a million years.
Old 10-17-20, 08:59 AM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Just to over-think this a bit...

In my household, a combination of N+1 and multiple cyclists has made it quite impractical to standardize on either valve type. Also, my sense of economy would prohibit me from disposing of a perfectly good tube. I suggest taking it as a given that at some point in your life you will own pump heads for both kinds of valves, so you might as well get a Schrader head now. It might actually be cheaper than new tubes.

When the tubes eventually need to be replaced for whatever reason, then you can convert to Presta if you still care.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 10-17-20, 09:58 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've done it also, and it was no big deal. Just check it every once in awhile to make sure the valve hasn't crawled over and is leaning. The tube does not press out through the hole.

I'd prefer to have the right tube for the rim hole of course.
Old 10-17-20, 02:15 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Seriously.... this is still being discussed?
Old 10-18-20, 02:53 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
heck yeah..schrader for life dudes
Likes For BikeLite:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.