Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New chain or chain too tight?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 05:03 PM
Danjohnsonson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I recently got a $300 State fixie and there's some clicking coming from the rear cog when I ride. I know that this is commonly caused by new chains and by too much chain tension, but I was wondering how long it takes a new chain to set so that I don't accidentally loosen the chain too much if it's just the new chain. I've only ridden it about 20 miles so far.
Old 10-21-20, 07:16 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Danjohnsonson
I recently got a $300 State fixie and there's some clicking coming from the rear cog when I ride. I know that this is commonly caused by new chains and by too much chain tension, but I was wondering how long it takes a new chain to set so that I don't accidentally loosen the chain too much if it's just the new chain. I've only ridden it about 20 miles so far.
Have you checked the chain to see if it has any slack ? It should have at least 1/2" slack at its tightest point. It's not common for cheap single speed and fixed gear bikes to arrive with their chains too tight out of the box. I'd suggest loosening the chain a bit and seeing if the sound goes away. Also, new chains do not cause problems, only used chains that have stretched too much, and it's possible that the cheap cog is not very well made and is causing the noise.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 10-21-20, 07:18 PM
Danjohnsonson

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Have you checked the chain to see if it has any slack ? It should have at least 1/2" slack at its tightest point.
That's probably it then, I don't think there's any slack on it lol, thanks.
Old 10-21-20, 07:32 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
if it’s clicking or clunking it’s the freewheel. Flip your wheel see if the noise goes away. I’m confident it’s your freewheel. If that’s the case call State customer service and tell them your freewheel is defective and they should replace it.

If you're using fixed cog then it’s something else.
Old 10-21-20, 07:35 PM
Danjohnsonson

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
if it’s clicking or clunking it’s the freewheel. Flip your wheel see if the noise goes away. I’m confident it’s your freewheel. I you're using fixed cog then it’s something else.
It's definitely on the fixed side. I'm gonna try loosening the chain and riding it in the morning to see if that helps.
Old 10-21-20, 07:42 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
It's definitely on the fixed side. I'm gonna try loosening the chain and riding it in the morning to see if that helps.
that should help. As suggested by Tejano you should have 1/2 inch slack
Old 10-22-20, 06:12 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Op.....while you're at it ensure your chain is properly lubed. The "clicking" may be coming from stiff links cycling around the (smaller) rear cog......
Old 10-22-20, 11:45 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
it's just your components crying out for help as the rubber band tight chain crunches and munches the drivetrain.
Old 10-22-20, 03:56 PM
sixty2strat

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How old is the cog? Should replace cog when you replace chain.. Even if the chain is too tight, it shouldn't be clicking or making excessive noise. When you are riding and applying force to the cranks does the noise get noticeably louder as apposed to free wheeling?