Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

It's 90 degrees outside and I'm thinking about winter riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 10:52 AM
stien
neits

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

What's the consensus on required gear for serious winter riding?

I'm assuming bib pants and a jacket of some kind are a good jumping off point. What about shoe covers? Gloves that allow shifting? Any brands that are good, garbage? Too expensive?
Old 07-20-10, 10:57 AM
brianbeech
Typical Scum

Bikes: 2010 CAAD 9-5 | 2009 Giant Anthem X2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a beginner, but I rode all winter here in Southern Indiana. My coldest ride was at 27 degrees.

I rode with under armor cold gear tops and bottoms, then riding shorts. Pants that break the wind, a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt and wind breaker top. I also wore a balaclava, shoe covers, and gloves.

I often started out pretty chilly but warmed up pretty quickly. Most of what I wore I already had - except the shoe covers and balaclava.
Old 07-20-10, 11:00 AM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Me too. I've practically stopped riding. The only rides I get is a 36 miles ride on Thursday and a mountain bike ride on Friday. I guess I do commuting, but that's only about 30 miles a week.

I like riding in the winter. I have no problem staying warm and I usually over-layer and overheat. However, my feet always gets numb. I need to invest in some good shoes.

I'm cheap and wear leggings under my bibs, a baselayer (long sleeve), and a form fitting wind breaker if it's in the mid 30s. For gloves, I just use some regular gloves, which are wind/water proof. For shoes, I made some toe covers from socks, but they don't work too well (they help a little).

I've mountain biked when it's in the twenties. I usually wear the same, except add my rainpaints, which are really lightweight. However, they really help with holding in heat. It probably wouldn't work too well in the winter because of how much wind it would catch.
Old 07-20-10, 01:12 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
How cold do you want to go?

When I went out in windy 12F weather last winter, I was wearing:

- rain cover on helmet (does a great job keeping wind off your noggin)
- balaclava
- cycling sunglasses (keeps the wind off your eyes...)
- wool base layer (might have been two layers at that temperature...)
- cycling jacket
- wool glove liners
- lobster cycling gloves
- bib shorts
- unpadded tights
- 2 pair wool socks
- shoe covers

For the sake of comparison, when it's a dry 40-45F, I wear something like this:

- wool base layer
- long sleeve jersey
- full-finger gloves
- bib shorts
- wool socks
- cycling shoes
Old 07-20-10, 08:57 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
This is the Winter Cycling forum ...
https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...Winter-Cycling

If you're thinking about winter, why not go browse the threads in there!! And then go out and enjoy the next several months of non-winter riding in your part of the world.

Incidentally, it is winter here and rather than riding in the cold rain, I've opted to use my trainer most of the time.

Last edited by Machka; 07-20-10 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 10:12 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's al kinds of **** for cold-weather riding. It all sucks. At this time of year, go out early before it gets hot, or get some good lights and go out at night, or get a backpack hydration system and put in a lot of ice. Or take your bike to the Rockies or West Coast.
Old 07-20-10, 10:46 PM
lechat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless your climbing a mtn. I can't imagines the 90s being too hot for cycling. You're creating a strong constant breeze. I also do a bit of trail running. And with the recent rain the humidity is a bit annoying. Especially considering the total lack of moving air in the rain forests i run in.
Your body adjusts to heat. Cold is always painful.
Old 07-21-10, 12:21 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Enough can't be said about buying in the off-season. I picked up some Santini Thermafleece bib tights for $40 at Nashbar and it was the single best investment for winter rides.
Old 07-21-10, 12:39 AM
shouldberiding

Bikes: '08 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Define "winter."

Some sissies think 35F is cold. What kind of conditions are present during the cold months in your locale.?

I personally love my Foxwear gear for winter riding. I wear regular ole' bibs underneath Polartec Powerstretch tights with the water resistant coating, and a Polartec Powershield jacket. I'll throw in a wicking baselayer and if necessary a wool sweater under the jacket. For the feet usually Defeet Woolie Boolie socks, summer shoes, and neoprene shoe covers. For long rides I've been considering purchasing the Lake winter boots, but they're pricey.
Old 07-21-10, 12:39 AM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought all my winter clothing on sale. I'm getting ready for cold. 2 night a week in the indoor velodrome won't cut it. $15 a pop to boot.

I still can not bring myself to ride in the dark and wet. Dark and dry, but not at night with rain. I like breathing and urinating unassisted too much.
Old 07-21-10, 12:41 AM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shouldberiding
Define "winter."

Some sissies think 35F is cold.
I head for the velodrome if it goes below 3c. There is something about 3c that "bites". Even riding my motorcycle it just becomes too much for this "sissy" at that temp.

However, as I just posted above, I'm better prepared for it this time around. But it doesn't usually go below 3c when I'm awake.
Old 07-21-10, 12:45 AM
shouldberiding

Bikes: '08 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Banzai
I head for the velodrome if it goes below 3c. There is something about 3c that "bites". Even riding my motorcycle it just becomes too much for this "sissy" at that temp.

However, as I just posted above, I'm better prepared for it this time around. But it doesn't usually go below 3c when I'm awake.
All it takes is the right clothing. You have to fred up for the winter, but at least you get to ride. Oh, and studded tires are the bees knees. It's nice riding over ice and not eating pavement. Snowy rides are great too.
Old 07-21-10, 12:45 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The extremities are the problem. Keep the fingers and toes warm and you're good to go. As mentioned, the winter forum will give plenty of tips. I've ridden as low as -5 f, not that cold for the more serious winter riders.
Old 07-21-10, 01:32 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Banzai

something?

Dr. Banzai
My bike is silent

Old 07-21-10, 01:36 AM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes.

3c is tolerable. Below 3c is not. Either on a bicycle going 30kph or a motorcycle going 100kph. The wind chill just seems to plummet at that point.
Old 07-21-10, 05:19 AM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Winter in New England, forgot to mention.

It's off season, that's why I'm thinking about getting stuff on the cheap.

Bib tights vs shorts under tights? The rest is easy I guess.
Old 07-21-10, 05:54 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I've never had problems staying warm. The coldest temps I rode in this past winter was 7F. For that I wore:

- thin balaclava
- short sleeve jersey
- thermal jersey
- windbreaker
- lobster cycling gloves with chemical handwarmers thrown in
- neoprene tights
- 1 pair wool socks. I'd love to wear another pair, but it adding more thickness cuts off circulation
- booties

The hardest part is keeping extremities warm. Changing flats sucks.
Old 07-21-10, 06:06 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Bikes: Tarmac SL4, Lemond Victoire, Titus Motolite

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of Louis Garneau non padded, non bib fleece lined tights last year and they work wonders. They were much cheaper (about $65 if I remember right) than buying bib tights with chamois, and more versatile because I can run in them as well. I just wear my regular bib shorts underneath when cycling in them. If it's really cold I put on my PI fleece lined knee warmers under the tights too.

Also remember to bring a pump with you in the cold. CO2 inflater doesn't work well in cold.
Old 07-21-10, 06:45 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
This is the Winter Cycling forum ...
https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...Winter-Cycling

If you're thinking about winter, why not go browse the threads in there!! And then go out and enjoy the next several months of non-winter riding in your part of the world.

Incidentally, it is winter here and rather than riding in the cold rain, I've opted to use my trainer most of the time.
You have gotten soft for a 'pegger!
Old 07-21-10, 07:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
You have gotten soft for a 'pegger!
I know!!

But somehow I found it easier to get out and ride on a cold, sunny day (typical winter weather in Manitoba), than on a day where it is 5C with pouring rain and a howling wind (typical winter weather here). Also, because it doesn't get cold (or snowy or icy) here, when it is 5C with pouring rain and a howling wind, I keep thinking that I can get out ... tomorrow, so I'll just stay inside today. Plus it does get dark very early these days. It's just about black by the time I get home from work.
Old 07-21-10, 07:32 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
There's al kinds of **** for cold-weather riding. It all sucks. At this time of year, go out early before it gets hot, or get some good lights and go out at night, or get a backpack hydration system and put in a lot of ice. Or take your bike to the Rockies or West Coast.
Or man up and ride where you are.
Old 07-21-10, 03:42 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
A quick glance at your post doesn't answer one important question - where do you live, what kind of temps are you looking at, and will you be riding in snow?

For sub-freezing weather, a breathable windproof shell is generally recommended with wool or wicking synthetic long underwear underneath it.

Certain "breathable" raingear works well, but non-breathable raingear is absolutely terrible, bad, dangerous, etc. Gore makes "windstopper" stuff to that's expensive, but has a decent reputation for cutting the wind but still letting moisture (sweat) evaporate and get out.
Old 07-21-10, 03:58 PM
Ziltoid

Bikes: Giant defy 3 '09 ~~ Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc '10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're winters are funny.
Old 07-21-10, 04:07 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
But somehow I found it easier to get out and ride on a cold, sunny day (typical winter weather in Manitoba), than on a day where it is 5C with pouring rain and a howling wind (typical winter weather here).
Agreed. 24F and sunny is quite pleasant. 40F in wind and rain is no problem, but it sucks.
Old 07-21-10, 04:46 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stien
What's the consensus on required gear for serious winter riding?

I'm assuming bib pants and a jacket of some kind are a good jumping off point. What about shoe covers? Gloves that allow shifting? Any brands that are good, garbage? Too expensive?
Depends on what winter is for you. And if by winter riding you mean you want to ride on the nicer days, or on any day including the worst days.

I'm kind of dreaming about winter riding myself. Don't know why. I whine endlessly about it during the winter and dream of long summer road rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.