Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

hernia :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 06:56 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hernia :(

before I go further... I am going to see my Dr. tomorrow... but I am interested in what your experiences have been...

A few weeks ago, I got a slight nagging pain in my lower left abdomen. I went and saw the Dr. and after an exam, he said he thought I just had a viral irritation in my colon and to avoid spicy foods so that I would heal up. He said if I had any more problems, to call... the pain never really went away but would come and go in intensity. Over the past 2 days, when I leaned forward, it felt like there was a bubble in my abdomen... tonight I went to the bathroom and when I looked down, there was an obvious bulge Yep, I know what that is...

If it isn't a big enough bummer by itself, I have a 2.5 year old at home and my wife is due for #2 any day now...

but my reason for posting here... I haven't had any discomfort when cycling since the pain first began... but I am curious to know if anybody here that has had a hernia has been allowed to ride during/after treatment for hernia...

here's hoping for a quick recovery...
Old 06-29-11, 07:54 PM
Pete In Az

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a laproscopic hernia repair last October. I asked the surgeon about riding my bike after the operation and he had no problem with it. The day of the surgery ( it was an 8 am operation) I felt like crap. The next day I didn't feel so good. The third day I didn't feel so bad so I rode around a bit. The fourth day, the plumbing started working again so I felt MUCH better. From then on, I was riding all over town. If you get the traditional surgery, I don't know, Ask your doctor. If you get the laproscopic repair, as soon as you feel human, have at it.
Old 06-29-11, 08:07 PM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete In Az
I had a laproscopic hernia repair last October. I asked the surgeon about riding my bike after the operation and he had no problem with it. The day of the surgery ( it was an 8 am operation) I felt like crap. The next day I didn't feel so good. The third day I didn't feel so bad so I rode around a bit. The fourth day, the plumbing started working again so I felt MUCH better. From then on, I was riding all over town. If you get the traditional surgery, I don't know, Ask your doctor. If you get the laproscopic repair, as soon as you feel human, have at it.
based on this testimonial, I am hoping for the laproscopic! whatever gets me back to normal life the soonest... maybe then I could go back to being a daddy/husband/maintainer of the yard a little sooner too!
Old 06-30-11, 05:03 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
I had a traditional repair done, right side 10 years ago. I had lived with the hernia for some twenty years up to then but it got so I couldn't stand so I had to have it done.
A short but painful recovery, the first week was not so good but back to work in two weeks. Now, I can do just about anything, I framed a barn with 6 x6 x 12' posts this past winter and ,although I still get a little pull once in a while, I hardly know it's there.

Mike
Old 06-30-11, 07:15 PM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
back to work in 2 weeks? yikes... that can't happen!
Old 07-01-11, 03:51 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
..movin' slow I can assure you
Old 07-03-11, 08:02 PM
Bill

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
had hernia surgery 3 years or so ago in the traditional manner. I rode about 2 weeks after the surgery. I did the swim and bike portions of a mini tri about a month later. The first couple of days were somewhat painful. the biggest pain is what the surgery did to my man parts. It caused a great deal of swelling (being bigger is all that it is cracked up to be!). That was very uncomfortable, but went away in three days. Also I found it to be quite painful when the bandage was removed. they didn't shave very well. I have a scar left about 2 inches. It isn't that noticeable.
Old 07-03-11, 10:28 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i know a few guys who've had hernia operations (all guys)....one of them was a cyclist and he had to be off the bike for 6 weeks. Ideally, if you can, get it done in the off season, but if you can't wait then just get it done! the good thing is they send you home the next day...just really be careful for a while.
I had abdominal surgery a few years ago...it was a bit more serious, but I was on the trainer at 6 weeks, went for my first ride a week later. The only thing is that if you have anesthesia, it takes a while to feel 100 percent normal for a while after. You can get tired more easily because it takes a while to get totally out of your system. Just remember it's a minor procedure but still an operation so just don't rush it and remember, Lance armstrong got back on a bike so will you!
Old 07-05-11, 08:22 AM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wabbit
i know a few guys who've had hernia operations (all guys)....one of them was a cyclist and he had to be off the bike for 6 weeks. Ideally, if you can, get it done in the off season, but if you can't wait then just get it done!
there is no off season, just an off season from cycling... i fill the less desirable cycling months with other activities that I am equally disinterested in sacrificing
I have an appointment tomorrow a.m. at 10:15... here's hoping for a best case scenario prognosis...
Old 07-05-11, 04:00 PM
Pete In Az

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck. No matter which technique they use, get the operation. I waited too long and there were days I couldn't stand up for the pain.
Old 07-05-11, 06:47 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wrote this up 3 years ago on another forum for the hernia operation I had done:

Got a hernioplasty done this morning. A plug & patch on a direct inguinal hernia. I now know that feels like getting kicked in the gut by a mule. But this ain't the worst part. The worst part was prior to the operation. I'm waiting (bored), I'm cold (why do these places always feel like they keep it in the low 40's), I'm hungry (nothing by mouth after midnight), I have nothing but a gown, open in the back, to wear (I've been known to show my a$$ once in a while, but this is ridiculous), I have a headache (I'm doing that caffeine withdrawal thing), and because of all this I'm cranky, and everybody around is smiling and bubbly which makes me even more cranky. We wait, and do a little of this and wait, and a little of that and wait, and a something else and wait. And finally we wheel down the hall and into the OR. I shift onto the cleaning table (AKA bait cutting board), and right after I do that someone must have slipped a mickey into my IV tube. Next thing I know I'm waking up in the recovery room with the nurse keeping a watch on me saying, "Wow! You're awake early."

I look over at the what appears to be a fancy bottom machine she's looking at and ask, "48... is that my resting heart rate?"

"Yep, that's your resting heart rate," she replies.

I figure that's not too bad... for a smoker.

We wait some more. Right about the time my IV empties I ask to go to the bathroom. The IV is empty so I also ask if I can go home.

"I can't let you go until you go to the bathroom. If you don't go I will have to start another IV."

Well by Gawd I'm on a MISSION now. I will be going to the bathroom.

Wooo-Hooo, I'm a free man.

I get in the car, wife driving, kids in the back. I suck down a Camel Non-Filter. I just about guzzle a 20 oz. Coke. I smoke another Camel Non-Filter. I drink another Coke. I smoke another Camel. The wife is worried. My son is completely unconcerned. "If he hasn't had a problem by now, he's not going to."

I begin to feel great, except for being sore. We get home and I get something to eat and I feel better than great.

Now that it's all over except for the healing, I have no problem with going back to TMH if I ever need another procedure done. Excellent care.

And I still feel like I got kicked in the gut by a mule.

So just how does one go about making all this necessary?
You sneeze.
You sneeze one time. You sneeze one time hard enough to blow your guts out.

Then of course you put the operation off for 2 months because you have two upcoming tournaments you don't want to miss.
And it crosses your mind to delay things until after scallop season, but decide that might be pushing it.

And you don't do jack-diddly-squat in either T, so you might as well have gone on and done the operation.
I think I was off work for a week after the operation, and went to work in a limited capacity the following week. Believe me, that first week, at least the first few days, you ain't gonna' feel like doing nothin' that involves moving. It will be worse later if you don't get the repair done and out of the way.

Last edited by CommuterRun; 07-05-11 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-05-11, 07:33 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
moving....don't even try to open a jar!
but it's pretty routine and minor surgery...you should be back to normal soon and if you're worried about the scar, use vitamin E to help healing.
Old 07-06-11, 06:49 AM
ArtM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have a hernia and met with my surgeon on Friday, and will be scheduling my op soon. I asked if i could bike to work the day after the operation - "sure, but you won't feel like it." He told me to expect to be off work about five days, and recovery seems to be based on how I feel rather than any prescribed time.
Old 07-06-11, 02:53 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtM
I asked if i could bike to work the day after the operation - "sure, but you won't feel like it."
Now The-e-ere's an understatement.
Old 07-07-11, 05:45 AM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
went back to my Dr's yesterday, he scheduled me for some sort of pre-op or whatever with the surgeon. He described it as a "pretty big hernia"
he said I can ride if I want to but to bring my phone with me just in case (I do anyway)
I'm not sure there is ever good timing for something like this but this is awful timing... 5 day old baby, toddler, wife on light duty... summer time... he said I would probably get the laproscopic procedure but the only difference between that and the traditional is the size of the scar... meh...
Old 07-07-11, 06:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I was humping a young hottie and really going at it wild and crazy and got a cramp in my lower abdomen. I had to get on my back and take a break until it felt better. I massaged the cramp a little and she got on top. after a short while I got back on top but took it easy for a while. I soon resumed in earnest and finished the day in decent form. I haven't had any incidents like that since then despite going at it aggressively just the same. been wondering if it was a hernia related incident.
Old 07-10-11, 10:11 AM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went out and rode yesterday with my father in law, we did 24 miles (didn't even plan on doing 15)
Admittedly, we did stop at mile 8 for a 10 minute swim in Lake Ontario, that was icing on the cake.

It was much flatter terrain than I normally ride but I was really pleased about how I felt & the pace I was able to maintain. I was a little concerned that it would be too uncomfortable. I'm going to try to ride tonight and tomorrow just in case the other Dr. tells me I can't after my appointment Tuesday
Old 07-21-11, 07:21 PM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
surgery tomorrow

Hoping for a speedy recovery, I've come up with too many things that I won't be able to do for a while...
Old 07-22-11, 06:17 AM
ArtM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had surgery last Friday. I iced the area constantly (rotating ice packs like a pace line) for a day. Walked a short distance Sunday, walked a mile on Monday. Started back at work on Tuesday, and feel 100%. I plan on doing some bike rides this weekend.

I'm not doing any heavy lifting or sit-ups. And it only hurts when I sneeze.

Overall, it was a very positive experience.

P.S. - take some stool softeners
Old 07-22-11, 06:44 PM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtM
I had surgery last Friday. I iced the area constantly (rotating ice packs like a pace line) for a day. Walked a short distance Sunday, walked a mile on Monday. Started back at work on Tuesday, and feel 100%. I plan on doing some bike rides this weekend.

I'm not doing any heavy lifting or sit-ups. And it only hurts when I sneeze.

Overall, it was a very positive experience.

P.S. - take some stool softeners
best story yet. I hope to recover as quickly as you did. I feel so-so right now, my biggest pain seems to be my sense of helplessness. I hate asking my wife for another glass of water, another ice pack, my phone charger, this, that, etc... and I have to find somebody to cut my grass for me too... being laid up is humbling. For physical discomfort, I could definitely tell with the anesthetics started to wear off, thank goodness for acetaminophen... they prescribed me oxy but I'm hesitant to take stuff like that...
Old 07-22-11, 07:07 PM
ChucklesKY

Bikes: 2010 Trek 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a road cyclist, a surgeon (who does both laparoscopic and open repairs), and I have a hernia! I have lived with this hernia for a little while now. Multiple reasons I haven't gotten it repaired. . .yet. I am opting for a laparoscopic repair early this winter when the cycling is not as appealing. From my experience I think that will get me back to full activity more quickly. Truth be told, if you have a bulge that is easily reducible (can be pushed back) and is not very symptomatic you can probably wait a bit. It sounds like your home life may warrant that for a few weeks. I do have a hernia belt I wear to keep it reduced though.

Edit: Now I see you went ahead and had it done. Here's hopping for you to have a speedy recovery!

Last edited by ChucklesKY; 07-22-11 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-23-11, 10:17 AM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this sucks. hoping day 2 sucks a lot less...
Old 07-23-11, 09:38 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ouch...too bad the timing sucks too. Was there some reason you couldn't wait a few months?
the first week is always pretty rough, remember it's still an operation! in a couple of weeks you'll feel almost normal. Six weeks is mid september, so there's still riding to be done.
Old 07-24-11, 10:17 AM
CNY James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wabbit
ouch...too bad the timing sucks too. Was there some reason you couldn't wait a few months?
the first week is always pretty rough, remember it's still an operation! in a couple of weeks you'll feel almost normal. Six weeks is mid september, so there's still riding to be done.
it just seemed as though now was as good a time as any. with my wife home, she is able to help me out a little bit. also, it was starting to bother me late in the day and at night. Add to that that I will be out of town in 6 weeks and didnt want to be on 1/2 duty when I went away, or worse, end up in a hospital in another state b/c something happened.

I feel better today than yesterday, at this rate I think I can survive being at work on Tuesday. We shall see...
Old 07-24-11, 01:55 PM
Pete In Az

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to be rude or anything but, wait for a "Great breaking of Wind" and things will get much better. They moved your GI tract around. It doesn't like that, so it stopped. It takes a couple of days to get started again.

Listen for the gurgling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.