Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

stress fracture in femur - "subchondral insufficiency fracture"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 12:14 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Bikes: Giant road bike

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi. I usually post in the Northeast forum.

I have been bicycling on a daily basis (excepting rain and snow) for the past five years. I lost more than 60 pounds back then, and have kept it off. I am a few weeks shy of my 51st birthday and in the best shape of my life, doing things that I couldn't have done when I was 30. For instance, I rode from New York to Washington this past July, and I have twice gone to Philadelphia. In the past three full years, I have ridden 5800, 6400, and 6800 miles; and I hit 1000 miles in the month for the past four Julys.

And then I had an injury. It wasn't a crash or anything that I could pinpoint. One day last month I just couldn't ride because of pain in my knee. This was a shock because in the previous two days I had ridden 42 and 53 miles with no problem; and I was in the midst of a typically good summer, averaging well over 200 miles per week during the previous two months of the summer.

An orthopedist initially guessed that it was a meniscus or tendon problem. But, after I had an MRI, he diagnosed it as a subchondral insufficiency fracture. I gather from reading that this is a type of stress fracture that occurs at the end of a bone, in my case at the bottom of the femur.

I have now not ridden for more than three weeks; and I will have to spend at least another three or four weeks off the bike while this thing heals. Of course what I fear is that I will never be able to get back to riding, that the problem will just recur when I try to ride again.

My question is: has anyone here had a similar injury? After such an injury, is it possible to return to daily riding, and to even do 100-mile days and 1000-mile months?

Last edited by Ferdinand NYC; 09-16-16 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-16-16, 01:05 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
I am a runner and have had 2 stress fractures that I know of over 20 years ago pelvic ring. Could not run on the first one for 10 days and returned to running able to keep training. This was only diagnosed later when it showed up healed on an X-ray. I ask the ortho surgeon and he said that it was possible to run throught it after the 10 days given the pelvis is a double ring. You runners are something was his comment.

Two years later had on on other side of pelvis and did not run for at least 12 weeks. I both cases I could ride a bike and did but I was careful and keep the power light spinning more. Note I was 23 years younger.

Moving to 9 months ago I fell on my hip riding broke it in the neck. Was non-displaced fx was lucky 3 screws and back on trainer in 5 days only
Easy spinning. Started back running in 11 weeks no real loss of aerobic fitness and at my usual 30 mile weeks on about a month.

I mention this because cycling generally is not something associated with stress fx s due to low impact nature. I would quizz the doctor more about this and see what he says. You should be able to spin in it does not hurt to turn cranks. Also once a stress fx has healed and nothing unusual going on it should be fine. Frankly a stress fx can be a better injury to get over than some soft tissue problems that can last for months and even years.

Please note the Deacon is not a doctor take my
Advice with care.
Old 09-16-16, 02:03 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I am aware that it is more likely for a runner than a bicyclist to suffer a stress fracture. I guess that I am an unusual case, because I never run.

The doctor was pretty firm that it was indeed a subchondral insufficiency fracture. He said that the outer layer of the bone was collapsing at the lower tip of the femur.

To have my daily regimen of riding come to a screeching halt has been extremely frustrating. But if, after the injury heals, I can eventually get back to normal riding, I would be pleased. I only wish that I could be confident of that.
Old 09-16-16, 02:31 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4432 Post(s)
Liked 3,059 Times in 1,893 Posts
I don't have any experience with this particular injury, but much of your experience rings true - i.e.,seven years ago, in middle age, I became a dedicated cyclist and I ride mileage similar to yours (4600 miles so far this year) and feel great when I am healthy.

But I also have had several significant injuries that have kept me off the bike for long periods of time. And each time I fear that maybe this means I'll never come back to riding at the same level - that this is the injury that ends it all.

but so far I have come back from all of them. Maybe one day I'll encounter that problem that really does end my road riding days. I hope that I won't, but it certainly seems possible.

Best wishes for a swift and permanent recovery from your fracture.

Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC

I have been bicycling on a daily basis (excepting rain and snow) for the past five years. I lost more than 60 pounds back then, and have kept it off. I am a few weeks shy of my 51st birthday and in the best shape of my life, doing things that I couldn't have done when I was 30. For instance, I rode from New York to Washington this past July, and I have twice gone to Philadelphia. In the past three full years, I have ridden 5800, 6400, and 6800 miles; and I hit 1000 miles in the month for the past four Julys.

And then I had an injury. It wasn't a crash or anything that I could pinpoint. One day last month I just couldn't ride because of pain in my knee. This was a shock because in the previous two days I had ridden 42 and 53 miles with no problem; and I was in the midst of a typically good summer, averaging well over 200 miles per week during the previous two months of the summer.

An orthopedist initially guessed that it was a meniscus or tendon problem. But, after I had an MRI, he diagnosed it as a subchondral insufficiency fracture. I gather from reading that this is a type of stress fracture that occurs at the end of a bone, in my case at the bottom of the femur.

I have now not ridden for more than three weeks; and I will have to spend at least another three or four weeks off the bike while this thing heals. Of course what I fear is that I will never be able to get back to riding, that the problem will just recur when I try to ride again.

My question is: has anyone here had a similar injury? After such an injury, is it possible to return to daily riding, and to even do 100-mile days and 1000-mile months?
Old 09-16-16, 02:34 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I don't have any experience with this particular injury, but much of your experience rings true - i.e.,seven years ago, in middle age, I became a dedicated cyclist and I ride mileage similar to yours (4600 miles so far this year) and feel great when I am healthy.

But I also have had several significant injuries that have kept me off the bike for long periods of time. And each time I fear that maybe this means I'll never come back to riding at the same level - that this is the injury that ends it all.

but so far I have come back from all of them. Maybe one day I'll encounter that problem that really does end my road riding days. I hope that I won't, but it certainly seems possible.

Best wishes for a swift and permanent recovery from your fracture.

I am sorry for your string of injuries. But reading that you have come back from all of them is most encouraging. Thanks.
Old 09-16-16, 07:03 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 852 Posts
One way to protect yourself is to supplement bicycling with load-bearing exercises. We have all heard stories about 40-year-old bicyclists with 20-year-old hearts and 60-year-old bones.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-16-16, 07:15 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
One way to protect yourself is to supplement bicycling with load-bearing exercises. We have all heard stories about 40-year-old bicyclists with 20-year-old hearts and 60-year-old bones.
What sort of exercises are you referring to?
Old 09-16-16, 07:39 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4432 Post(s)
Liked 3,059 Times in 1,893 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
And it's probably a good idea to have your vitamin D checked.
Old 09-16-16, 07:45 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Weight lifting is one load bearing activity.
Old 09-16-16, 08:24 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have this pain in the knee of a surgically repaired femur (4 pins in the upper head) The pain radiates down from the the hip joint, but it is most severe in the knee. It's worst on chilly days while I am still wearing shorts. It's less a problem on warm days or when I am wearing leggings. I attribute the pain to a combination of cold, the surgery and pushing too hard on the pedals. I never considered this subchondral insufficiency fracture thing.

Makes me think.
Old 09-18-16, 02:05 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I can't say too much on the causes of your stress fracture but certain causes are known to cause reduced bone density. An obvious one is good nutrition. I'm not hiking very much these days but have hiked quite a bit up to several years ago. I noticed then in packpacking journals that stress fractures were common to long trail thru packpackers, These folks have difficulty getting enough good nutrition. In fact, my reading about nutrition indicates that an important part of maintaining good training practice is the nutritional aspect.

It is also known that weight training will also effect bone density. I suggest you poke around on google a bit to see what pros have to say about this.
Old 09-19-16, 08:48 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Cause? Osteonecrosis?
Old 09-20-16, 05:33 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked 1,069 Times in 807 Posts
What sort of exercises are you referring to?
Basically, all forms of strength training, i.e. weightlifting. We start losing muscle mass at age 30, even active people, that's why you see so many old people that have a tough time getting around and have problems with breaking hips. After developing a base thru weight training in your musculoskeletal system you might want to also participate in some forms of plyometrics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics

Too much emphasis is placed on cardio health, but not enough on the musculoskeletal system. Cardio health is easy to work on, compared to building the rest of the body, muscles, bones, connective tissues...

Some very good exercises to start off with are the basics, such as bench press, squats, deadlifts...
Old 09-20-16, 08:27 AM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Basically, all forms of strength training, i.e. weightlifting. We start losing muscle mass at age 30, even active people, that's why you see so many old people that have a tough time getting around and have problems with breaking hips. After developing a base thru weight training in your musculoskeletal system you might want to also participate in some forms of plyometrics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics

Too much emphasis is placed on cardio health, but not enough on the musculoskeletal system. Cardio health is easy to work on, compared to building the rest of the body, muscles, bones, connective tissues...

Some very good exercises to start off with are the basics, such as bench press, squats, deadlifts...
I do pushups, 100 in the morning and 100 at night. But I figured that, for the legs, the very act of pedalling amounts to exercise for the muscles and bones down there.

Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Cause? Osteonecrosis?
I spoke to the doctor again and asked him if he suggests any supplements (calcium, vitamins, etc.) or any dietary changes to address bone density. He said no, affirming that rest is the only thing to do. He said that he showed the MRI pictures to another doctor at the hospital, who confirmed that the cause was just the use.

While it's nice to know that there is nothing serious wrong in there, the doubt remains about whether the condition will recur when I eventually start riding again. To this question, the doctor said that many times a bone heals stronger than before. He said that, if I let it heal completely, and if I ramp back up slowly, then I have a chance of that bone being fine going forward.

Last edited by Ferdinand NYC; 09-20-16 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-21-16, 08:12 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked 1,069 Times in 807 Posts
I do pushups, 100 in the morning and 100 at night. But I figured that, for the legs, the very act of pedalling amounts to exercise for the muscles and bones down there.
No, cycling is not enough to exercise the legs. This is a common misconception among not just cyclists but also runners. Also cycling doesn't do much for other parts of your musculoskeletal system, especially your back – which deadlifts are great for.

The problem is that cycling is very repetitive and while certain parts of your musculoskeletal system are being worked, other parts are not so much, so this creates imbalances. Furthermore, we cyclists tend to get into a routine and routines leads to plateauing, which is very bad for us older folks, remember we start losing muscle mass after age 30.

Some interesting reading: Strength training builds more than muscles - Harvard Health

Guide to Cycling Muscle Function | Bicycling

I spoke to the doctor again and asked him if he suggests any supplements (calcium, vitamins, etc.) or any dietary changes to address bone density...
Just remember that these nutrients do very little on their own. To get the most out of them, you need to break down the muscle, something that cardio does very little of, especially after you get into a routine and it does nothing for many parts of your body.
Old 09-21-16, 08:47 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
And it's probably a good idea to have your vitamin D checked.
+1

I'm outdoors a lot, love milk and other dairy products, and after my recent blood test was told that I am vitamin D deficient. Maybe has something to do with age and/or type 2 diabetes. Worth checking.

Hope you can get back on the bike soon!

Best Regards, Eric
Old 10-01-16, 03:38 AM
Falchoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark

Moving to 9 months ago I fell on my hip riding broke it in the neck. Was non-displaced fx was lucky 3 screws and back on trainer in 5 days only
Easy spinning. Started back running in 11 weeks no real loss of aerobic fitness and at my usual 30 mile weeks on about a month.

I mention this because cycling generally is not something associated with stress fx s due to low impact nature. I would quizz the doctor more about this and see what he says. You should be able to spin in it does not hurt to turn cranks. Also once a stress fx has healed and nothing unusual going on it should be fine. Frankly a stress fx can be a better injury to get over than some soft tissue problems that can last for months and even years.

Please note the Deacon is not a doctor take my
Advice with care.
I had a similar injury after a fall at work in February and was able to ride on the wind trainer about a week after getting out of hospital and back riding on the road a few days after that.

I have backed off the kms a fair bit (~500 down to <300), not really to do with the injury, just decided as I wasn't racing anymore I didn't need to train/ride as much. Plus I hate getting up at 4.30am to do bunch rides in the dark before work (was also paranoid post-injury of crashing and re-injuring my leg/hip).

I am probably 90% as fit as I was pre-injury and the fewer kms is keeping me fresher and actually sometimes faster than before. I ride 6 - 7 days depending on weather, usually not in the rain and just tolerate the frost.

Still can't run though, not that I was a runner before, but sometimes it would be handy to run to cross the road urgently if a car suddenly appeared or just for fitness when I couldn't be bothered dragging all my cycling kit out and making sure the bike is in rideable condition.
Old 10-02-16, 07:11 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I think that as long as you are able to maintain a positive attitude and treat your rehab like your life(style) depended on it you can come back from significant injuries and return to a high level of fitness. It may require some modifications in your activities but you can generally find a work around.
I was primarily a runner when I had achillies reconstructive surgery in 2011 at the age of 59. While I was recovering from that I had a cycling accident and fractured my hip. I had a total hip replacement which ended my days as a runner. At first I felt like I lost my best friend not being able to run but I found road cycling and made peace with it. Last year I rode over 9000 miles and generally ride between 150 and 200 miles a week with a fair amount of intensity.
I've had heart issues with ventricular tacycardia that I've had 2 ablations to correct and am still on the bike. Last June I had surgery to realign a fractured pelvis and a revision of the hip replacement. I'm still recovering from that mess but I am back on the bike and last week I rode about 185 miles with a long ride of 56 miles.
With each of these injuries I initially felt that I wouldn't be able to get back to riding at a level that would scratch my itch. It really amazes me what the human body can recover from if you really work at it and don't try and force your recovery. The body will recover on it's own time table not yours and you really have to abide by that.
Good luck