Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo-Loading XXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 05:28 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 281 Posts
feels so good to have the sun is back in socal
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-04-18, 08:03 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
feels so good to have the sun is back in socal
Yeah, that was a brutal winter we had!
Old 05-04-18, 10:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Today was Stage 3 of the Redlands Bicycle Classic, which just happens to run right through my neighborhood. Took a ton of pictures, and almost managed to get a couple of good ones. The race is 20 laps which climb about 4,500ft in 56 miles-- and the winner averaged 27.74mph.

Lap...4, I think. The Hagans-Berman team stayed pretty clumped most of the way through.

This was an early breakaway in the men's group, around lap 8 of 20. Those guys held the peleton off for another 6-7 laps. Then they got swallowed up, as they usually do.

My hero of the day in the men's, Cory Lockwood. He was part of a decent multi-team breakaway that held ~1 minute lead for almost the last 7 laps. He was out on his own, looking super strong for the last 5 laps, and they gobbled him up on the bell lap, on the last climb up the hill. He finished 49th.

And then there's the exception to the rule-- Jasmin Duehring set an absolutely blistering pace, and the group simply could not catch her. She won by a 12 second margin at an average speed of 24.82mph. STRONG

Not my picture, but the utterly awesome Edwige Pitel of Jakroo Racing finished second in Stage 2 and seventh in Stage 3-- she's in 3rd overall, 28 seconds back going into the Criterium... and she's 50 years old.
Old 05-05-18, 08:16 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Playing leadout man for my wife as she pulled down a couple more QOMs this weekend. She still thinks that unless she averages like 17mph on every ride, she's not "fast." I 'm always like, lady, you have like 60 QOMs. Your first imperial century ever was at 15.7mph. You're not exactly slow.

She got that QOM by a full 2 seconds, to which she said, "Not enough."
Old 05-05-18, 08:32 PM
jimincalif

Congrats to her! You're a lucky guy.
Old 05-05-18, 08:57 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
11 miles on an empty stomach https://www.strava.com/activities/1552329871 I ate many bugs on this evening's ride.... bugs are protein, mkay?

ate some crock pot meatloaf when I got home.
Old 05-06-18, 04:49 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
14.99 miles today in light sprinkles... now I am ready to eat, and the chicken isn't going to be done in the crock pot for an hour ... https://www.strava.com/activities/1554731488
Felt good to get out and ride even after yesterday's ride told me 58 hour recovery time when I was done.
Old 05-07-18, 11:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18509 Post(s)
Liked 15,822 Times in 7,431 Posts
Weather is looking good for a three-day, unsupported trip this coming weekend with a 35 mile out and back ride from camp for groceries on Saturday. Likely my only chance to get in some loaded miles before St. Albans, VT to Philly starting June 3rd.
Old 05-07-18, 12:43 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Playing leadout man for my wife as she pulled down a couple more QOMs this weekend. She still thinks that unless she averages like 17mph on every ride, she's not "fast." I 'm always like, lady, you have like 60 QOMs. Your first imperial century ever was at 15.7mph. You're not exactly slow.

She got that QOM by a full 2 seconds, to which she said, "Not enough."
My fastest century was at 14mph. She's doing GREAT!!! I'm envious
Old 05-08-18, 11:40 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Bike thieves got comeuppance today. One of my friends had her road bike stolen sometime Sunday night/Monday morning out of garage. She got all of her friends to search various sites for it. It was found for sale on a few sites today. I saw it on LetGo. She contacted Irvine PD and they set up sting. She got her bike back and two people were arrested.
Old 05-09-18, 07:28 AM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Bike thieves got comeuppance today. One of my friends had her road bike stolen sometime Sunday night/Monday morning out of garage. She got all of her friends to search various sites for it. It was found for sale on a few sites today. I saw it on LetGo. She contacted Irvine PD and they set up sting. She got her bike back and two people were arrested.
Excellent!
Old 05-09-18, 07:44 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
There's a special place in hell for bike thieves ... years ago someone stole my beloved Schwinn mountain bike from my parents' garage ... Clearly I'm still bothered by it
Old 05-09-18, 03:26 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
And people were giving me grief over on the general discussion board for musing about different ways to lock up my bike IN MY GARAGE!

Interestingly on my newer cars, you can't use the built in garage door opener unless the key is in the ignition. On my older cars, you can! And the older ones are the ones parked in the driveway.... so.... I want to lock up my bikes.
Old 05-09-18, 03:54 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
And people were giving me grief over on the general discussion board for musing about different ways to lock up my bike IN MY GARAGE!

Interestingly on my newer cars, you can't use the built in garage door opener unless the key is in the ignition. On my older cars, you can! And the older ones are the ones parked in the driveway.... so.... I want to lock up my bikes.
My road bikes do not spend any time in our garage. EVER. Detached garage with door facing street and on side of our house (we have corner lot) so if they opened it there would be few chances we would notice garage opened. One night my cat jumped on table as we had a strange cat in yard and she got on hutch where the remote was and she hit remote. Our garage was open. Lucky a neighbor wandered by and told us. Our current opener sends alerts to our phones that garage has been opened and when it closes. If it opens when Craig is at work he checks my location on Life360 to see if I'm home.

If my bikes had to live in garage they would be LOCKED up
Old 05-10-18, 08:21 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
My road bikes do not spend any time in our garage. EVER. Detached garage with door facing street and on side of our house (we have corner lot) so if they opened it there would be few chances we would notice garage opened. One night my cat jumped on table as we had a strange cat in yard and she got on hutch where the remote was and she hit remote. Our garage was open. Lucky a neighbor wandered by and told us. Our current opener sends alerts to our phones that garage has been opened and when it closes. If it opens when Craig is at work he checks my location on Life360 to see if I'm home.

My garage is for motorbikes. There's barely room for the bicycles. I may be on the wrong board.

Also, I appear to the thoroughly irritated my throat. Between lidocaine injections and they hylauranic acid into the vocal cords (I closed my eyes and did not watch the video of the HUGE needle doing down my throat) and then snagging a stupid pill into my tonsils (I think) last night, I'm pretty miserable. I got the bike out and slogged up the crest, but having bulked out the left cord so much, breathing was a huge challenge and I only made it 8 miles/2,000' up the hill.
Old 05-10-18, 09:50 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Two of my bikes are hoisted up to the ceiling in the garage, and the third is tucked against the wall so I can park my car next to it.

I don't even know if my motorcycle would start even if I DID have a battery for it (rats ate the little water caps on the last one, yummy.)
Old 05-10-18, 10:36 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

I need a bigger garage or start selling some bikes off. Purge is coming!!
Old 05-10-18, 11:00 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I've never heard 'purge' used for 'house shopping so my bikes fit' before...
Old 05-10-18, 11:04 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by expatbrit
I've never heard 'purge' used for 'house shopping so my bikes fit' before...
next house will have an office aka bike room
Old 05-10-18, 12:40 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Build a shed in the backyard for the less-used bikes... Instant bike storage!
Old 05-12-18, 08:54 PM
jimincalif

We had a good ride up GMR today, at least if you don't mind drizzle, fog and cold! Ended up with a dozen riders heading up the hill, including our own @DrIsotope, (DrIsotope - thread mentions don't display in this wonderful new board software) which was fun. Probably another dozen bailed due to the inclement weather. We hoped we would be able to get above it as we gained elevation, but the marine layer was too deep.

two intrepid riders rode up to the ski lifts, but the rest of us were ready for hot coffee at the Lodge. Apparently the extra 2000 feet up to the lifts did finally get above the clouds, but with the temps in the mid 40s at the village another 2000 feet didn't appeal. After warming up at the lodge we elected to bomb straight down the mountain on Mt Baldy Rd to get down to Claremont where it was 60 degrees. Had cold and fog for maybe the first two miles of descent, then the temp warmed up and we had a pleasant ride back to Boulder Springs Dr.

I rode my new gravel bike today, first experience with disc brakes in wet conditions. They are excellent!
Old 05-12-18, 11:19 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Jim, this is why I didn't make it. I've had it once before in 2016 but this time cycling didn't cause it. I played pickleball on Thursday and woke up with this on Friday. It hasn't gone down.

Old 05-12-18, 11:35 PM
jimincalif

Ouch, that looks painful! I've never heard of it. Looks like a really good reason to not ride. Hope it goes away quickly. Is there any treatment for it, or just hurry up and wait?
Old 05-13-18, 07:29 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Ouch, that looks painful! I've never heard of it. Looks like a really good reason to not ride. Hope it goes away quickly. Is there any treatment for it, or just hurry up and wait?
Hurry up and wait is correct .

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/syc-20369950

Last edited by tunavic; 05-13-18 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-13-18, 09:29 AM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

No garage for this apartment dweller, I have a little nook off the living room for where my 2nd bike and my daughter's bike are parked, my primary bike stays inside the locked Jeep because I got tired of carrying it up 3 flights of stairs after every ride. My old place where I had a garage, I locked everything up - bikes, tools, you name it - plus padlocked the garage door (as well as utilizing the garage door lock. I grew up in a poverty stricken city where if something wasn't chained down it would be gone within seconds so I've always been a bit paranoid about leaving my belongings unsecured (I work really hard for everything I have).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.