Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another stray follows me home -- this one's a mid 80's Ciocc

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 01:00 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

While at the bike shop Saturday discussing a potential new custom frame build, i saw this -- after inquiring about the price , i went home and thought about whether i really needed a new "Sunday cruiser" or not --- especially when i am spoiled by the new stuff, plus didnt really need to spend coin when i have a new project in the back of my mind
Well , passion overrules logic sometimes, so as soon as i could on Monday (yesterday), i hit an ATM , went back to the shop and said "bring the Ciocc down, i'm hip. "

--- I took it for a short test ride and that really sealed the deal ---

The seat is a modern torture device, it will be changed out soon for a period correct Turbo , and i will be on the lookout for a set of gumwall tires, preferably some Vitt. Open Corsa's if i can find them (wheels are clinchers and built on MA-40 rims)

Plans for the bike? --- no plans really -- i kind of want to ride it a bit though -- I'm fatter than i was 20 years ago, so although the frame is technically my size, its still a reach to the drops -- I'm gonna spec it out with a Nitto Technomic stem and some wider bars -- the Cinelli's on it now feel like 40's , - and will likely find a Sachs 14-28 freewheel and a new chain somewhere -- and use this for what it was meant to be used for -- riding, not hanging above the fireplace in a hippie beer joint or something
-- no worries, the stock Regina freewheel and Cinelli bar/stem combo will be stored appropriately, so when its time to hang it above the fireplace in my hippie beer joint - it will be ready

Not totally sure of the group or the tubing , but i posted some pics below . ITs a tad heavier than my DeBernardi SLX racebike that was the same size, but i can attribute that to the clinchers as much as anything . I dont believe the Gruppo is Campy's top tier, but it looks nice, and i didnt pay a top tier price either (although a gentleman should never tell such things )

Nice Ciocc branded and embossed fork crown --- mystery shifters - they appear to have 2 settings like a Syncro shifter, but both settings are friction --- its fun to ride though

Figure the best indicator of what group is on it might be the rear changer -- i am guessing Triomphe ? -- but hoping someone can verify that for me on here

The pther side of the decal unseen , it just says "Speciale" -- since there are no other tubing decals on it, i can only assume its mystery tubing , or SP maybe

Old 03-19-13, 02:30 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 789 Posts
it's the decal that should be used with either SL or SP...and chances are that's what this is, but...many (maybe all) that i've seen that are decked out with the Triomphe/Victory components have been Aelle (but those usually have had NO tubing decal).
The seatpost size should answer that: is it 27.2 or smaller (like 26.8)?
Are the dropouts Campy or Gipiemme?
Even built of Aelle, there's never been a bad-riding Ciocc (there, I said it!)

One other question: is there any logo stamped on the brake bridge (I'm thinking ten-speed-drive)?

Last edited by unworthy1; 03-19-13 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 05:20 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by unworthy1
it's the decal that should be used with either SL or SP...and chances are that's what this is, but...many (maybe all) that i've seen that are decked out with the Triomphe/Victory components have been Aelle (but those usually have had NO tubing decal).
The seatpost size should answer that: is it 27.2 or smaller (like 26.8)?
Are the dropouts Campy or Gipiemme?
Even built of Aelle, there's never been a bad-riding Ciocc (there, I said it!)

One other question: is there any logo stamped on the brake bridge (I'm thinking ten-speed-drive)?

No brake bridge logo, and the dropouts are Gipiemme --- but... the seatpost is 27.2 !

I had an Aelle bike years ago and it took the 26.8 post. I remember this vividly because 26.8 posts seemed hard to get so i had the top of the seat tube reamed out to 27.2 to take a conventional post--- tubing was thick enough that it wasn't an issue at all --- but that bike had an Aelle specific decal
Old 03-19-13, 05:59 PM
flyfisherbob

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am envious - great catch!
Old 03-19-13, 06:42 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Classy looking mount, DMC. I like the B&W graphics on it especially.
Old 03-19-13, 10:15 PM
vjp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Frame this size would be SL.
Old 03-20-13, 07:59 AM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My guess is Columbus "Tretubi" - the three main tubes are SL, the fork and stays are Aelle. I'm pretty sure Ciocc did this for a lower end (non-San Cristobal) line.
Old 03-20-13, 09:42 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 789 Posts
Sounds like a good guess^ Would explain the GPM dropouts and slightly lower-grade looking lugs...still gonna be a nice ride!
Old 03-20-13, 10:59 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by mudboy
My guess is Columbus "Tretubi" - the three main tubes are SL, the fork and stays are Aelle. I'm pretty sure Ciocc did this for a lower end (non-San Cristobal) line.

That sounds plausible ---- especially given the Gipiemme dropouts. Works for me --- I hate even inquiring, but i am horrible with putting values on these old bikes as i am usually way over or way under, but would this be a 5-600$ bike vs maybe 1k-1200 for a San Cristobal version?- or are those prices the exclusive domain of Colnago's and DeRosa's ? (i bought it to ride, not re-sell, so its probably irrelevant, but i seem to make a lot of decisions with my heart and not my brain, and that occasionally backfires on me )

Its a pretty clean old bike and definitely does not have a lot of time on it judging from the condition of the middle chainring and freewheel cogs, but it also has some "garage rash" - little nicks here and there in the paint and signs of being moved about , plus corrosion around a lot of wheel eyelets -- better shape than "10 footer" but not quite a "2 footer"
Old 03-20-13, 11:11 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Sounds like a good guess^ Would explain the GPM dropouts and slightly lower-grade looking lugs...still gonna be a nice ride!
Yep, i still have an Aelle bike in my stable -- i need to dust it off and do my own ITalian bike photo shoot --- i was in college and couldnt afford a high end bike, so my dealer got me an Aelle DeBErnardi from Zar Intl. and i built it up with a takeoff Veloce group (Campy's low end stuff) --- I later got a nicer frame built with Chorus, but that Aelle bike racked up more miles and more race result and is ultimately the one i could never sell. It was a heavier bike with clinchers and the lower tier Brifter group, but i kept sew-ups glued to GEL 280's on it for weekend rides/races and this kept the fat down to a reasonable level
Old 03-20-13, 11:15 AM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I think the RD is 980. It is a match for the RD on my Colnago Junior, which is Aelle tubing.
Old 03-20-13, 11:43 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by PeregrineA1
I think the RD is 980. It is a match for the RD on my Colnago Junior, which is Aelle tubing.

They're close in appearanc eexcept for the the way the logo is stamped in , but i stumbled onto velobase.com today(cool site) and it has a pic of both the Triomphe and 980's --- 980 is on the bottom -- plus this one is Syncro and suppposedly from 1987 or so, - something i got to work last night when i put it on a stand to clean it up a bit ---