Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Altering Der. Hanger for Roadlink

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 01-27-20, 08:36 AM
New2Two

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I am upgrading out C-Dale RT1000 to Etap. I was going to use the roadlink with Wifli to fit the 11-40 cassette. However, when I went to fit the Roadlink to the derailleur hanger, they won't fit together. There is too much material on the bottom edge of the hanger where the B-screw would hit that interferes with the roadlink. I would need to remove 1 to 2 mm off the end of the hanger. I figured this would be easy enough to do on the belt sander. Has anyone done this to make it work?
My other thought was to get the Digirit extended cage and forego the Roadlink.
Thoughts on which way I should go?
Old 01-27-20, 01:38 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
RoadLink and extended cages solve different -- but related -- problems. The RoadLink allows the upper pulley of the rear derailleur to clear a larger cog. An extended derailleur cage gives your rear derailleur more chainwrap such that you can have adequate chain tension in a wider range of gears.

Are you using an authentic Wolftooth Roadlink? The knockoffs might not fit as cleanly as the real thing. On your current derailleur hanger, I'd remove it from the bike, then file down the tip until the RoadLink fits. You should be able to buy a spare derailleur hanger if something goes terribly wrong.
Old 01-27-20, 03:45 PM
New2Two

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It is an original WolfTooth RoadLink with a new hanger that I just got. Perhaps 15 years ago C-dale added more material at the bottom to ensure the b-screw had enough real estate so the derailleur could be adjusted properly.
Old 01-27-20, 09:41 PM
act0fgod

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by New2Two
I am upgrading out C-Dale RT1000 to Etap. I was going to use the roadlink with Wifli to fit the 11-40 cassette. However, when I went to fit the Roadlink to the derailleur hanger, they won't fit together. There is too much material on the bottom edge of the hanger where the B-screw would hit that interferes with the roadlink. I would need to remove 1 to 2 mm off the end of the hanger. I figured this would be easy enough to do on the belt sander. Has anyone done this to make it work?
My other thought was to get the Digirit extended cage and forego the Roadlink.
Thoughts on which way I should go?
Yeah the roadlink didn't fit on our hanger. I ended up taking a Dremel to the very bottom of the hanger. Also needed a 120 link chain to make sure the derailleur didn't rip off if I ended up in the 52-40. It's kind of loose if I end up in the 36-11. Generally, I'm satisfied. I'm operating way outside the technical recommendations so the performance isn't perfect but it's still better than the mechanical was.
Old 01-28-20, 04:41 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
I don’t know if your dale has a replaceable hanger or not. If not, I would explore modifying the roadlink before removing material from your frame.
Old 01-29-20, 08:44 AM
New2Two

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The hanger is replaceable. I picked up a replacement for this project and might get another as a backup just in case. I plan on drawing in the curve needed to fit the Roadlink and take the hanger to the belt sander to slowly remove what is needed to make it fit.