Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Should I replace my cone?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-20, 01:32 PM
Thomas1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,
I'm overhauling the front hub on my bike and I've noticed a small hole in one of the cones (see the picture linked to below). Should I replace it (I think yes)? If so, should I replace the other one too?

I can't post URLs or pictures, but you can paste the beginning of the address posted at the bottom of this message into your web browser to see the cone (please hover over the picture and click the right button on your mouse or, if you're using a mobile device, tap the picture and hold it till a menu pops up, select see the picture and zoom in as much as possible to see the hole). Hope this works.

ibb.co/LkMgDfk
Old 01-18-20, 01:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Replace both cones, use new balls, and check the dropout alignment as well.
Old 01-18-20, 01:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
@Thomas1's Album:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/448463
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/16484979

You could take a close-up and then crop to make the image clearer.
Old 01-18-20, 01:45 PM
CliffordK

What you have is a tiny pit.

I've effectively repaired similar pits by mounting a scrap axle into a drill press with the cone + lock nut reversed.

Then successively sanded from say 220 grit up to oil + 600 grit.

There is a question on whether some manufacturers are using a mild steel + case hardening, in which such an approach would reduce the overall longevity of the cone.

Nonetheless, doing nothing, the pit will grow, and could eventually destroy the hub.
Old 01-18-20, 02:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
What hub is this?
It looks like some of the low end Shimano cones that don't have any treatment other than an "oxide" coating. No polishing or other finishing.
I've had pitting troubles on FH-RM-30 hubs, specifically the DS cone.
Fortunately, my LBS had "generic" rear cones for $1 ea that are so close, less the "coating".

Look at SJS Cycles in the UK for cones.
I had 4? delivered to my door in the US for $14 a few years ago. Far simpler & MUCH cheaper than sourcing one in the US.
I've switched to synthetic grease in hopes it will prolong their life.
Old 01-18-20, 04:06 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html
Old 01-18-20, 04:33 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Wheels probably doesn't carry the bottom end cones, considering the price of the cone being probably more than 1/2 as much as the entire hub it came in.
SJS can fill a lot of "gaps" and often cheaply.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=cones&geoc=US
Old 01-18-20, 04:37 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
What Clifford K suggests has apparently worked for him. On the other hand, bearing grinding and polishing machines are about 10 times more precise (less runout or "wobble") than most drill presses. Unless the cones are really special (e.g. this is a oem restoration of a 1934 Club bicycle with cones that have a Loewenherz thread spec) I'd replace the cones.
Old 01-18-20, 09:13 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
What Clifford K suggests has apparently worked for him. On the other hand, bearing grinding and polishing machines are about 10 times more precise (less runout or "wobble") than most drill presses. Unless the cones are really special (e.g. this is a oem restoration of a 1934 Club bicycle with cones that have a Loewenherz thread spec) I'd replace the cones.
I had started doing it with new cones that weren't perfect. But, moved to minor pits.

I can make minor to moderate pits disappear, and get a mirror polish.

A minor change in the profile doesn't bother me. I can't say about the roundness of the finish product. I think it remains close.

Any minor scratches are circumferential, and largely irrelevant.
Old 01-18-20, 11:17 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I had started doing it with new cones that weren't perfect.
As mentioned, you got it to work, and I know from reading your posts you have significant experience.

I'm probably overly persnickety. I grew up working in a machine shop (and a bike shop) and I'm an engineer.
Old 01-18-20, 11:30 PM
CliffordK

As mentioned, you got it to work, and I know from reading your posts you have significant experience.

I'm probably overly persnickety. I grew up working in a machine shop (and a bike shop) and I'm an engineer.
I should make a video sometime.

But, if you have some moderate quality cones with a a couple of small pits... send them my way for a freshen-up.
Old 01-19-20, 11:03 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

You have to realize that I've dealt with milling machines in which the preload is specified as an inertial whirl of the bearing, plus 10°. And if there is a compressed air hose that is within access range of the milling machine, the manufacturer voids the warranty (compressed air blows metal swarf away, but also blows dirt into bearings). Machines that (using polycrystalline diamond cutters) leave a mirror finish on aluminum.

I realize the need for expediency sometimes. I had to reassemble my Schwinn Superior wheels with a few pits (but clean, with new grease). But it was a little bit like fingernails on a blackboard to me!

BTW, I'd appreciate anyone correcting me if I'm wrong, but finding new cups to press into the old Normandy hubs from 1978 is going to be well nigh impossible, yes?

[On Edit] Someone has posted a thread about regrinding cones, here.
https://bicycleobsession.wordpress.c...ted-hub-cones/

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 01-19-20 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-20-20, 05:01 AM
Thomas1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all very much.
I'm gonna visit my LBC today and buy new cones and bearings (I think this is a good time to replace them).
@CliffordK, thanks for posting the picture. I'd tried to take a close-up but my phone camera wouldn't cooperate; it wouldn't focus on the cone this time round... I'll try to remember I can also post-edit the picutre in similar cases in the future.
Old 01-20-20, 07:13 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,908 Times in 1,139 Posts
Wiz,
How many do you need, and do you need both front and back? I have no problem with driving them in and out of hubs, and there is no shortage of those old hubs.
I doubt that the races have changed much in the last 40 years.
I wind up driving the races out of the hubs being recycled because the clean aluminium pays about twice what the dirty Al pays. Smiles, MH
Old 01-20-20, 11:21 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
To answer the OP. I would put it together as is, adjust it to the correct preload and see if I can feel it. If I cannot feel it then I wouldn't worry about replacing the cones. Otherwise, yes new cones and new balls.

www.buckyrides.com
ig: jbucky1
Old 01-21-20, 12:07 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I had a pitted cone on my bike a few months back. I found it cheaper and easier to buy a complete axle assembly on eBay. No one had the Wheels Mfg cone in stock and even if they had the price was identical
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-21-20, 11:02 AM
Thomas1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all. I've already bought new parts (the front wheel didn't feel too well when I rode the bike).

Last edited by Thomas1; 06-04-20 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Wrong answer.
Old 06-16-20, 09:12 AM
Thomas1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[...]
BTW, I'd appreciate anyone correcting me if I'm wrong, but finding new cups to press into the old Normandy hubs from 1978 is going to be well nigh impossible, yes?

[On Edit] Someone has posted a thread about regrinding cones, here.
https://bicycleobsession.wordpress.c...ted-hub-cones/
Thanks for this useful link. I got my hands on some other bikes with pitted/galled cones. I used the information on the website to refurbish them. I skipped the step with the grinding stone. Here are some pictures from before and after (most of) the grinding was done:

I don’t know yet how the bearings/cones are going to perform, because I just finished doing them. But I put back one hub which I overhauled, test-rode the bike for 1.5-2 hrs on flat surfaces, and the wheel seems to spin okay. On closer inspection I also didn’t notice the problems from before the hub was overhauled.

I wish there were an equivalent way to restore damaged (i.e. pitted/galled) hub bearing cups which cannot be replaced/taken off the hub. The method described at the referenced website is nice as it 1) uses tools commonly accessible in the home shop (from the more 'advanced' tools you basically need a drill); 2) is relatively simple, so the common DIYer can do the whole job without too much trouble and 3) is efficient – the cones come out nice. I realise in case of a pitted/galled cup it’s easier to buy a new wheel or in some cases the hub may be replaced, but there are situations in which neither of the above is possible; plus there are many wheels with damaged bearing cups which are otherwise fully functional (perhaps with the exception of other parts of bearings which on the other hand can be easily replaced/fixed).

Here's a thread on Resurfacing Galled Spindles and Cups. The method deals with bottom bracket bearings and uses a lathe which unfortunately is beyond my reach and, I suppose, it's rather imposible to secure a 26+' wheel to a lathe.

The only thing regarding repairing hub cups that I found on the internet is this:

I think this method could be further improved upon if the cup* is rotated, ideally by a drill (a common tool found nearly in any home shop). This would let one grind off cup races more evenly. Any ideas if it’s possible/how to do it? Also an alternative approach using similar tools wouod also be appreciated. :-)
*in most cases I have to do with, i.e. 90% of the time, I can't take cups out of the hub, which means that the whole wheel has to be rotated.

Old 06-16-20, 12:33 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
A problem with re-grinding/polishing pitted cones is that many of these cones, particularly the lower-end models, are merely case-hardened, rather than through-hardened. Regrinding the bearing surface removes the hardened layer on a case-hardened piece, so the balls run on unhardened steel. This means that the newly-ground race will wear quickly. If new, replacement cones are available, those would be a better long-term fix.