Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-20, 02:48 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Update on this bike, I think I have too much fun on my way to class on this thing.
Likes For Padgett:
Old 01-10-20, 09:54 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Near vintage Dean (2000)

DSCN0934 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

A very nice hard tail.

Nearer vintage Moots YBBeat (1998) in winter garb

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I've recently gone with green accents were possible

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr (cap by Kustom Kaps)

The Moots is my bikepacking bike. Here it is being used as intended

And, although I don't mountain bike on it, the Nashbar Flashback (1998) was sold as a mountain bike.

_IMG4947 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-10-20, 10:15 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
My second Miyata Ridge Runner; this one's from 1985. My other is a tig-welded 1983 double butted. This one is a lugged, triple butted frame. Pictured as found on Craigslist right when I got it home. I have since replaced the saddle and removed the Blackburn rack. It's been torn all the way down, cleaned and rebuilt with new cable and housing.

Likes For bargo68:
Old 01-14-20, 03:58 AM
WimVDD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 15 Posts
latest (finished) project: a 1992 GT Karakoram "Tequila Sunrise"

Likes For WimVDD:
Old 01-14-20, 08:32 AM
KingpinNZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
beautiful Karakoram! best colourway ive ever seen
Old 01-14-20, 08:40 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by WimVDD
NICE! The only thing I would like to see added is a threadless headset to be perfect, but you were probably going for originality.
Old 01-14-20, 09:22 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
The sprung saddle kind of got assigned to this bike because weight was not a huge concern with the build. This would be my utility/cargo bike, with a cush ride and capacity to carry stuff when I go to the grocer or farmer's market. Strangely enough, this particular saddle is from Papillionaire (French-style, based in Australia?) - and they weren't available here in the `States for quite awhile. But now that I visited their site again, apparently they ARE available, and at a ridiculous price! https://www.papillionaire.com/au/sho...leather-saddle
Those are cool saddles at a remarkable price, and I tried to order a couple, but from their site I'm only seeing shipping options for Australia. :- ( Their site's 'contacts' only lists retailers so may try one of them.

Last edited by Chicago Al; 01-14-20 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-14-20, 09:43 AM
WimVDD

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
NICE! The only thing I would like to see added is a threadless headset to be perfect, but you were probably going for originality.
Thanks!

I'm not a real fan of high stack headsets either but I wanted to keep it period correct (and threadless headsets appeared first on 1993 bikes, I believe). Originality isn't my first concern (I have the original flip flop stem but I didn't like the position on the bike with it).
Likes For WimVDD:
Old 01-14-20, 09:47 AM
WimVDD

Originally Posted by KingpinNZ
beautiful Karakoram! best colourway ive ever seen
Thanks. I started mountainbiking in 1991 and this GT was one of my favourites, those early years. This GT, the 1991 editions of Alpinestars' Cro (and Alu) Mega, the Scott Windriver (I bought back then),...
Old 01-14-20, 10:04 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts

That's really nice; I always dug those groove tubes. Have you tried running the rear brake criss-cross? I've seen it done on GT's and wish I could on my Haro but it doesn't have the nifty cable guide GTs have.
Old 01-14-20, 10:18 AM
WimVDD

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
That's really nice; I always dug those groove tubes. Have you tried running the rear brake criss-cross? I've seen it done on GT's and wish I could on my Haro but it doesn't have the nifty cable guide GTs have.
I have to admit what you say is new to me and I had to search google to find out what you mean. No, didn't try it with the cable criss-crossed (and didn't feel the need for it as the U brake works really good this way).
Old 01-14-20, 10:56 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
For the record this is an example of the criss-cross that GT did with the U-Brake cable

1988 Karakoram
Likes For fleslider:
Old 01-14-20, 06:26 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
That's how mine is run on my '91:
DSC_8437 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 01-14-20, 08:44 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
For the record this is an example of the criss-cross that GT did with the U-Brake cable

1988 Karakoram
Okay good, when I first saw this I thought it needed to be criss-crossed, I am glad others said the same. Leave it if you feel it works as is, but I think they do this for better brake angle leverage.
Old 01-14-20, 08:52 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Those are cool saddles at a remarkable price, and I tried to order a couple, but from their site I'm only seeing shipping options for Australia. :- ( Their site's 'contacts' only lists retailers so may try one of them.
If you use Paypal to checkout, I believe the shipping is arranged automatically, isn't it? And for those who don't want a sprung saddle, but still want nice, classy leather at a bargain price, I found these from Cardiff.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 01-15-20, 11:48 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Okay good, when I first saw this I thought it needed to be criss-crossed, I am glad others said the same. Leave it if you feel it works as is, but I think they do this for better brake angle leverage.
That's what I thought also. The hanger is supposed to be way low, but the seat tube gets in the way. criss-crossing, in theory, would change the cable pull angle to simulate a lower hanger.

Here is my situation; I wish I had the cable guide GTs had.
Old 01-15-20, 02:39 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Yeah, sorry I didn't reply sooner. My company has cracked down on personal use of our PCs, and being a C&V kinda guy, all I have is a Trac-phone. So I have to wait until after work, and family obligations, to log-in to BF.

The sprung saddle kind of got assigned to this bike because weight was not a huge concern with the build. This would be my utility/cargo bike, with a cush ride and capacity to carry stuff when I go to the grocer or farmer's market. Strangely enough, this particular saddle is from Papillionaire (French-style, based in Australia?) - and they weren't available here in the `States for quite awhile. But now that I visited their site again, apparently they ARE available, and at a ridiculous price! https://www.papillionaire.com/au/sho...leather-saddle

That's an OMG right there...But all the builds I've done since, and all I have planned in the future, are going to use Brooks B17, Pro, or derivatives. My arse has grown hard, just like my arteries. I now absorb shocks with my legs.

I bought 2 of those from VO when they were on a closeout sale. I believe that they are Cardiff saddles; leather as as thick and hard as a Fujita saddle. My butt sat for many hours on a padded steel tractor seat when I was younger, so I consider them quite cushy.
Old 01-15-20, 05:02 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I bought 2 of those from VO when they were on a closeout sale. I believe that they are Cardiff saddles; leather as as thick and hard as a Fujita saddle. My butt sat for many hours on a padded steel tractor seat when I was younger, so I consider them quite cushy.
Well, I think they were manufactured by the same company, but I can't find any proof online. The V.O. saddles were manufactured by Gyes (pronounced "Gee-yes") in Taiwan; that much I know. I have used a Gyes saddle on one of my old bikes, and like the V.O. saddles, it used leather almost twice as thick as Brooks'. Those didn't suit me at all. The Cardiff saddles were also made in Taiwan, but I don't know if it was Gyes who manufactured them. I own two, and like them both. The quality is very close to Brooks, but in an automated, mass-produced kind of way. Cardiff's website says that they have "suspended production". It could very well be that the Papillionaire saddles are made by Gyes as well, but they are not actively marketed outside Australia. I'm pretty sure Brooks has brought legal action against most, if not all, of its competitors who use the same basic suspended leather design as they do. I don't know why Ideale (France) went out of business, but I wish they were still around.

While researching this post, I came across this: https://www.permaco.com/index.html?target=dept_7.html&lang=en-us

I had heard of Persons saddles before, but didn't know whether or not they were still in business, or where they are currently made. Those are some pretty nice prices for brand new leather saddles. I might have to try one out. Permaco is apparently located in Huron, Ohio, but with prices like these, how could they not be another Chinese ripoff?

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 01-16-20, 08:35 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts

Wow. Your GT is absolutely gorgeous. Nicest vintage mountain bike paint job I've ever seen.
Likes For AlmostGreenGuy:
Old 01-16-20, 11:16 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^ WimVDD , I would def. try "crossing the streams" with that rear brake cable straddle. Among my GTs, the ones with the guide have them croseed, and the ones without the guide go direct.

Also, did you notice how heavy-duty that straddle cable is? Looks like something used on the Mackinac Bridge. My Schwinn Impact Pro came stock with that gauge for all the brake cables. Probably overkill, but impressive looking.

I once had a guy tell me that the groove tube design made the top tube weak. He had nothing to back up his claim, however, and he's one of those guys who are prone to bold claims.
Old 01-20-20, 04:49 AM
WimVDD

Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^ WimVDD , I would def. try "crossing the streams" with that rear brake cable straddle. Among my GTs, the ones with the guide have them croseed, and the ones without the guide go direct.

Also, did you notice how heavy-duty that straddle cable is? Looks like something used on the Mackinac Bridge. My Schwinn Impact Pro came stock with that gauge for all the brake cables. Probably overkill, but impressive looking.

I once had a guy tell me that the groove tube design made the top tube weak. He had nothing to back up his claim, however, and he's one of those guys who are prone to bold claims.
Weren't most straddle cables back than that "over dimensioned"? I guess Shimano engineers didn't thrust their own stuff back than. ;-)

I'll try the crossed thing next time I do some "bad weather bike tinkering".
Old 01-20-20, 11:54 AM
smallpox champ

Bikes: '84 specialized expedition, '87 specialized sirrus, '84 specialized stumpjumper sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 14 Posts
'85 Stumpjumper Sport, recently cleaned up for my father. Mostly original except the bars and stem were long gone, my shop had the bullmoose laying around.

Likes For smallpox champ:
Old 01-20-20, 04:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by smallpox champ
'85 Stumpjumper Sport, recently cleaned up for my father. Mostly original except the bars and stem were long gone, my shop had the bullmoose laying around.

WOW! very cool, well done.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-21-20, 04:56 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
Grabbed this 95 Rockhopper today. Mostly original and in need of dumping the grip shifters, but these are cool bikes.
Likes For brandenjs:
Old 01-21-20, 05:07 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 30 Posts
The keepers.

Likes For eshew:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.