Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

BikeFriday possible sale. Not a bike, the company.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

BikeFriday possible sale. Not a bike, the company.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 05:57 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Right off, hard to say. I like that it can carry so much. I like the way it rides compared to Dahon. I do almost all my riding in the city on city streets. If I were in the country, that might be different.
Fair enough. If we aren't counting the fold, there are several other folders I think ride a lot better and can easily carry as much or more (BF, Birdy, for example) and there are also minivelos as well. Can't beat the Brompton fold, though. But if I only had one, I'd pick a 20" wheel folder, probably. I love my 16" BF pakiT and it rides great but I also have a 20" Dahon Mu Uno at under 21lbs that rides amazingly well on any terrain, potholes no problem. With a 16" you do have to pay attention to where you are going. And, of course the Dahon single speed coaster brake is great in the rain =).

Last edited by linberl; 12-02-19 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 06:22 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
That Mu Uno is a shockingly good bike as just a bike, not considering the fold. I had one with belt drive and miss it a lot, I should have kept it.
Old 12-02-19, 06:24 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Originally Posted by spambait11
Lol! Schizophrenia at its best!

Anyway, Bike Friday is better than Brompton.
That's a completely subjective statement based on your preferences. There's a bunch of different Bike Fridays, and most of them fit a mission Brompton wasn't designed for.
Old 12-02-19, 09:55 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
That's a completely subjective statement based on your preferences. There's a bunch of different Bike Fridays, and most of them fit a mission Brompton wasn't designed for.
Yeah, I'm a massive BF fan (as you know) but I wouldn't say BF is always better. I will say that there are lots of areas in which BF excels over Brompton as a "bike" but that fold has no competition and for some people the luggage system is tops.
Old 12-02-19, 09:58 PM
linberl

That Mu Uno is a shockingly good bike as just a bike, not considering the fold. I had one with belt drive and miss it a lot, I should have kept it.
My Mu is my "beater bike" and I feel really fortunate to have found one. I rarely fold it (although it is incredibly quick to fold when I do) and use it more as a mini velo. And it's only a couple pounds heavier than my pakiT. Once I got rid of the seat pump post and stock saddle.
Old 12-02-19, 10:07 PM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
As to the aftermarket parts for Brompton, in my personal experience the vast majority of them does not work as they are supposed to, maybe 9 out of 10. When you inspect them you see that their designers do not even understand the functioning of the bicycle. My suspicion regarding the bikes put together out of such parts is that their owners hardly ever use them and their primary purpose is to show them off to the friends putting together similar unusable bikes. The aftermarket of folding bike parts is an out of control horror, there to generate funds for the manufacturers and resellers but with not much respect for customers. Anyway, that's my personal experience so far.
Nope, most of the people I know riding modded Brompton have quite a bit of mileage (both horizontal and vertical). Many do randonneuring with their Bromptons. One of them even completed Paris-Brest-Paris last year.
Old 12-02-19, 10:52 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Raxel
Nope, most of the people I know riding modded Brompton have quite a bit of mileage (both horizontal and vertical). Many do randonneuring with their Bromptons. One of them even completed Paris-Brest-Paris last year.
My Brompton is highly modded and has accumulated much mileage in 3D at all kinds of corners and yet yields no contradiction to my claims. To the contrary, an assumption that an aftermarket part would work, since there is hardly anything to mess up there, repeatedly led to disasters at places that were a desert literally or metaphorically, as far as Brompton network was concerned.
Old 12-03-19, 02:37 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Wait... Everyone else can make "completely subjective statement(s)" but I can’t? You’re harsh.
I'm calling the internet police.

MY Bike Friday is still better than MY Brompton.
Old 12-03-19, 03:36 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by spambait11
Wait... Everyone else can make "completely subjective statement(s)" but I can’t? You’re harsh.
I'm calling the internet police.

MY Bike Friday is still better than MY Brompton.
I'm an unabashed BF fan, but are you comparing BF 20" bike with Brompton, or do you have a pakiT that you are comparing? Comparing to 20" bikes isn't exactly a fair comparison. I've got a pakiT, and for MY NEEDS it is better than any Brompton. That's because I prioritize weight over fold and ride quality over luggage carrying. But someone else might really need that compact fold, etc.
Old 01-07-20, 09:52 PM
linberl

Recent email from Bike Friday, perhaps rumors of their demise were inflated?A brand new bike is cooking in

the Bike Friday Shop this winter

We have been inspired to take all we have learned about cargo bikes and electric bikes and break the barriers to create a brand new ultra commuter, climate warrior bike. Our mission is to build products that support people to live active healthy sustainable lifestyles through cycling. We are pouring our knowledge and passion into this new bike and it is raising eyebrows already!

We will be sharing more in the next few weeks.

info@bikefriday.com?subject=I%20want...3A%0A%0A%0A%0Aif you want to be the first to know about this new electric cargo bike.
Old 01-08-20, 08:39 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Maybe all that was needed was cash for retooling for a new line. Maybe a silent partner gave them that.
Old 01-08-20, 07:08 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Maybe they will do better if they move to a country that embraces cycling more? (eg. Holland or just EU in general)
Old 01-08-20, 07:32 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by pinholecam
Maybe they will do better if they move to a country that embraces cycling more? (eg. Holland or just EU in general)
I don't think they are going to move - they are firmly entrenched in Eugene, family and friends and a long history.
Old 01-10-20, 03:38 PM
Jarlybart

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I don't think they are going to move - they are firmly entrenched in Eugene, family and friends and a long history.
Only way they would ever move is when they sell the company or close the door and someone takes over the name which is really the only thing that is on the list anyway. The clock is ticking...
Old 01-10-20, 04:08 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarlybart
Only way they would ever move is when they sell the company or close the door and someone takes over the name which is really the only thing that is on the list anyway. The clock is ticking...
chill out and move along !
you are beein so idotic! why keep deprecating bike friday? get a life!
Likes For BromptonINrio:
Old 01-10-20, 04:15 PM
flyinfscotsman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tough environment.
Old 01-10-20, 06:18 PM
Jarlybart

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
chill out and move along !
you are beein so idotic! why keep deprecating bike friday? get a life!
Chill out? If you only knew...so much has been left unsaid.
Old 01-13-20, 06:32 PM
linberl

Old 01-20-20, 06:12 PM
DancingSea

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered my first Bike Friday New World Tourist in December, as part of their year end sale. It will be my first folding bike. I did tons of research and felt Bike Friday offered the best ride at the sacrifice of not the most efficient folding. For my needs, that works out well. I love the notion that Bike Fridays adventure travels the world, something the Brompton’s (etc) don’t do at the level of Bike Friday. And I like that BF uses standard parts, allowing me a wide range of component upgrade options down the road.

The ordering process is a bit overwhelming given the sheer amount of choices. And I was disappointed in the nearly 3 month wait for delivery. Ordering at the end of December with delivery at the end of March is too long, but I’m doing it anyway even though it did sour my customer experience a bit. I’m guessing it’s beyond their financial scope to change at this point, but they would benefit from having a collection of ready to ship bikes along with the ultra custom option for those who want that. I appreciate that they are a small company and executing ideas like that may not be the easiest pivot.

I do hope Bike Friday survives all of this. When I purchased, I didn’t know about these financial difficulties, it sad to read about them.
Old 01-20-20, 07:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
From reading this... it is hard to tell what is up. It doesn't sound like the company is insolvent. But, they are wishing to improve processing, and reduce liabilities. I.E. fix or eliminate any problematic models, and improve or add to what they have.

Retirement of the old guard, and make way for the new?

I did bring my BF and kitten cat carrier past the factory a couple of months ago. She was quite a hit.
Old 01-21-20, 12:17 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by CliffordK
From reading this... it is hard to tell what is up. It doesn't sound like the company is insolvent. But, they are wishing to improve processing, and reduce liabilities. I.E. fix or eliminate any problematic models, and improve or add to what they have.

Retirement of the old guard, and make way for the new?

I did bring my BF and kitten cat carrier past the factory a couple of months ago. She was quite a hit.
Ha ha ha, that was you??? I loved the pictures. Takes a special cat to like being pulled around by bike.
Old 01-21-20, 12:20 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by DancingSea
I ordered my first Bike Friday New World Tourist in December, as part of their year end sale. It will be my first folding bike. I did tons of research and felt Bike Friday offered the best ride at the sacrifice of not the most efficient folding. For my needs, that works out well. I love the notion that Bike Fridays adventure travels the world, something the Brompton’s (etc) don’t do at the level of Bike Friday. And I like that BF uses standard parts, allowing me a wide range of component upgrade options down the road.

The ordering process is a bit overwhelming given the sheer amount of choices. And I was disappointed in the nearly 3 month wait for delivery. Ordering at the end of December with delivery at the end of March is too long, but I’m doing it anyway even though it did sour my customer experience a bit. I’m guessing it’s beyond their financial scope to change at this point, but they would benefit from having a collection of ready to ship bikes along with the ultra custom option for those who want that. I appreciate that they are a small company and executing ideas like that may not be the easiest pivot.

I do hope Bike Friday survives all of this. When I purchased, I didn’t know about these financial difficulties, it sad to read about them.
There is an option for expedited production, I think it costs around an extra $150 and you get bumped up in line so it takes about a month. Because of the numerous models and multiple frame sizes, it's pretty hard for them to have bikes sitting around, except for the Osata models which all use the same frame. While you may not enjoy having to wait, keep in mind you will end up with a bike custom made specifically for you. And when you're touring the world, you won't remember the wait ;-).
Old 01-21-20, 03:51 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Ha ha ha, that was you??? I loved the pictures. Takes a special cat to like being pulled around by bike.
Hmmm... it looks like we made it onto Bike Friday's Facebook.

https://tr-tr.facebook.com/pages/cat..._fb_noscript=1

I was planning on just buying the replacement cage and running, but they put it on too. A little different style than the old squishy one, but it seemed to work, and probably was a bit more secure.

I've been trying to socialize my kitten (rapidly growing cat), Latte. We had her first vet appointment that day. She actually was doing better with the bike/trailer than driving.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-01-20, 04:17 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like the new Bike Friday product is an electric bike named the Ever-E-Day.

The New
Ever-E-Day

Built for daily transportation for the climate warrior
This light and sporty electric cargo bike has mind blowing capacity to haul what you need with nimble elegance! It has multi-tool flexibility to handle whatever life throws your way and adjust to your future needs. It’s lean and mobile with agility as part of its secret….This electric bike does things others just can’t! Read on...

Breaking out of the "box"
of previous Cargo and Electric Bikes

The Ever-E-Day is:
Much Lighter and Still Strong! – Bike weight starts at 39 lbs (Most Electric bikes and Cargo bikes are 55 to 70 lbs.) and the Ever-E-Day still carries rider and cargo up to 400lbs.

More Compact – Much easier to maneuver and store with a wheel base 42-46 in. (most Cargo bikes are 60 - 70 inches long, hard to store and travel on other transportation methods).

An Electric Cargo bike that rides like a non-electric and non-cargo bike! The Ever-E-Day frame has braze-ons for a large array of front and rear racks, some Bike Friday built and many industry standard. Customizable to your cargo carrying needs.

More size adjustment than any other electric or cargo bike (except the Bike Friday Haul-a-Day). Frame adjusts to fit riders 4ft. to 6ft 4 in.

Long list of high value features for your money - The fully electric Ever-E-Day starts at $2,195, most quality electric and cargo bikes with top end features start at $3,000 to $6,000 and up.

Built by hand in USA - No one else makes an electric cargo bike in the USA!
Old 02-01-20, 04:54 PM
Joe Remi

It's a shorter Haul-a-Day with a Bafang mid-drive kit. Which is ok I guess, but it's not a dedicated integrated ebike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.