Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

The cost of entertainment

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 01-22-20, 10:04 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 117 Posts

I just can't believe how much it costs to go out and see a play, enjoy an amusement park or just about anything nowadays. Getting tickets at face value just doesn't exist.

Now that I'm retired I've been interested in doing some of the things that I always put off, but when I see how much entertainment these days costs... OUCH!

I was thinking about taking a couple of the grand-kids (boys 15 & 17) to the Pomona Speedway to see the drag races. It would cost $264 for 4 tickets and I'm sure that doesn't cover parking or service fees, and another $40 we'd spend on each of them that evening.

A couple of the kids are at the age where I thought they might enjoy going to see the play Hamilton at the theater here in Los Angeles. For anything even close to decent seats, 4 tickets would be around $2000.

Disneyland, on an off day (not weekend or holiday) is still $102 per person and if I remember correctly the parking was $25. There would be no way I would get out of there for less than $600.

Even if I want to buy tickets to a concert at the Forum, the cheapest nosebleed section is still $99. Anything other than that starts at $149 and anything good is $200+.. And those prices don't include the service fees.
Old 01-22-20, 12:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 10362 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 941 Posts
Is there a wildlife area near you? With binoculars or a camera, that can be a good time. Most kids love animals.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 01-22-20, 02:22 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 4293 Post(s)
Liked 808 Times in 489 Posts
There's always the LA Zoo. $22 a ticket, and you can bring your own food.

The wife has been mentioning Disneyland again, and that's usually about a $1k day. That hurts.
Old 01-22-20, 04:15 PM
TakingMyTime

We do live next to a huge park, El Dorado park in Long Beach along with the nature center there. We take them to the beach in the summer, a movie every now and then, but it just seems everything is just so damn expensive.
Old 01-22-20, 04:16 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
I just can't believe how much it costs to go out and see a play, enjoy an amusement park or just about anything nowadays. Getting tickets at face value just doesn't exist.

Now that I'm retired I've been interested in doing some of the things that I always put off, but when I see how much entertainment these days costs... OUCH!

I was thinking about taking a couple of the grand-kids (boys 15 & 17) to the Pomona Speedway to see the drag races. It would cost $264 for 4 tickets and I'm sure that doesn't cover parking or service fees, and another $40 we'd spend on each of them that evening.

A couple of the kids are at the age where I thought they might enjoy going to see the play Hamilton at the theater here in Los Angeles. For anything even close to decent seats, 4 tickets would be around $2000.

Disneyland, on an off day (not weekend or holiday) is still $102 per person and if I remember correctly the parking was $25. There would be no way I would get out of there for less than $600.

Even if I want to buy tickets to a concert at the Forum, the cheapest nosebleed section is still $99. Anything other than that starts at $149 and anything good is $200+.. And those prices don't include the service fees.
Welcome to capitalism!
Old 01-22-20, 04:48 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 238 Posts
+1 on zoo’s and yes at the beach, rent a surf board, bike the beach path etc., kayak a river, a good hike, zip-lining, together do photography/video, woodworking, pottery projects etc., look for museum/science center exhibits that would be of interest to them and even do some community volunteer work with them!!!…..that’s just a few of the things i would do to save the money spent on a day at more expensive entertainment centers. I had both a grandfather and uncle that involved me in being creative and thoughtful through my teens. those interactions/travel/projects are my best remembered from that time….and cost very little

btw a 4 to 6 year old can really get into the magic of disneyland and a 9+ can really get into the rides….i know that from first hand knowledge with nieces and it was well worth the cost for the enjoyment they got from the day.
Old 01-22-20, 05:07 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 153 Posts
Definitely outrageous nowadays.
Old 01-22-20, 06:32 PM
bowser29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There's plenty of free (outdoor) activities through the Irvine Ranch Conservancy
Likes For bowser29:
Old 01-22-20, 06:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 10362 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 941 Posts
Museums in Seattle have one free day per month, maybe there's something like that in your neck of the woods too?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 01-22-20, 07:50 PM
skidder
Semi-Crazy

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 72 Posts
Universal Studios in Hollywood is $25 for basic parking ($50 for premium near the entrance), and $139 for each adult (I think its over 12 y.o.) . The Universal overlords have changed the park so most of it is now indoor roller coasters going through rooms with 3D projects on the walls, probably so they can change each ride quickly for the next blockbuster 'franchise' movie. They still have the backlot tour, Waterworld live action show, and a 'Animal Actors' show, but that's about it for live action. Food in there is expensive too - basic burger-fries-drink is $20, so save your $$$ and eat at one of the restaurants on Citywalk.

Not sure how people can afford it, especially if you're a family group coming from overseas. There were a lot of Chinese tourists there last November when I took some European relatives up there for a day.
Old 01-22-20, 08:28 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Universal Studios in Hollywood is $25 for basic parking ($50 for premium near the entrance), and $139 for each adult (I think its over 12 y.o.) . The Universal overlords have changed the park so most of it is now indoor roller coasters going through rooms with 3D projects on the walls, probably so they can change each ride quickly for the next blockbuster 'franchise' movie. They still have the backlot tour, Waterworld live action show, and a 'Animal Actors' show, but that's about it for live action. Food in there is expensive too - basic burger-fries-drink is $20, so save your $$$ and eat at one of the restaurants on Citywalk.

Not sure how people can afford it, especially if you're a family group coming from overseas. There were a lot of Chinese tourists there last November when I took some European relatives up there for a day.
In most cases I can afford it, I just can't justify that kind of cash for a day out. As I previously posted... I'd like to take 2 of the boys to the drag strip next month. After all is said and done I'll probably spend $150 on each of them. 4 tickets to Disneyland on a Saturday cost $596. That's not including parking and food. Maybe even a gift or 2 if we're taking the kids. It would probably turn out to be an $800 day. I'd just rather buy the 17 y/o a $800 car.
Old 01-22-20, 10:09 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3733 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 166 Posts
There is plenty of music that is free or under $10 at the local university
https://music.asu.edu/events/
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-23-20, 04:07 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7627 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post

Once in a lifetime event for which you save a long long time for. But yes, it is all terribly expensive.

When my son was a young boy the most cost effective entertainment was the annual pass at the San Diego Zoo... this pass allowed for regular trips to the zoo at early hours of the day before the tourists flooded the place.

We would choose one area, and spend a couple hours really checking out all the animals in that zone... rather than rushing through and barely glimpsing the entire park.

The other great entertainment was the beach... sure, sand and waves had their attractions, but tide pools were the real show. This required knowing the beach well enough to know low tide, and where isolated tide pools existed... so a bit.of exploring was in order, but the rewards were well worth it... and the price... well, just the cost of gas to get us there.
Old 01-23-20, 06:02 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
Get a few beers and watch bugs fly into the bug zapper. Hours of cheap entertainment
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 01-23-20, 06:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10381 Post(s)
Liked 1,797 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Is there a wildlife area near you? With binoculars or a camera, that can be a good time. Most kids love animals.
I was going to suggest taking them camping for a few days.

When I was a kid, the most we got entertainment-wise were movies. Other than that, we made our own fun, like riding our bikes around the 'hood or going to the park and tossing a Frisbee.
Old 01-23-20, 11:57 AM
Kedosto
Ambulophobic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 121 Posts
I would suggest a long bike ride (if they’re up to the challenge) or perhaps a short tour this summer. Neither will work if they’re not already cyclists. Otherwise, I’ll echo the more nature based excursions and activities. In my experience, nothing compares to the eye opening experiences only Mother Nature can provide. Commercial entertainment venues, even on their best days, are always uncomfortably overcrowded and expensive.

Sunrise in Yosemite valley, the brisk cool morning in the desert, or the gorgeous sunset over the Grand Canyon beats anything the Disney folks can artificially create.

-Kedosto
Old 01-23-20, 12:05 PM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 240 Posts
Free days at National Parks: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/fee-free-parks.htm
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 01-24-20, 06:22 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
As a kid in the 60's and 70's we begged our parents to go to Disneyland. "All the kids are going, mom!" "Dad, why can't we go?!"Or so we thought! It was expensive back then, too. Always has been a pricey proposition. Transportation, lodging, food, admission, etc. The local crik and lake were our playgrounds.
Old 01-25-20, 12:03 AM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 236 Posts
This is why I ride a bike.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-25-20, 09:04 AM
TakingMyTime

Even the movie theater wants to charge me a $3.68 "convenience" fee" for reserving 2 tickets online.
Old 01-25-20, 12:45 PM
skidder
Semi-Crazy

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
As a kid in the 60's and 70's we begged our parents to go to Disneyland. "All the kids are going, mom!" "Dad, why can't we go?!"Or so we thought! It was expensive back then, too. Always has been a pricey proposition. Transportation, lodging, food, admission, etc. The local crik and lake were our playgrounds.
Back then Disneyland had days/nights when they allowed only certain business groups access to the park, typically during the slow winter months. One was a 'bank/savings and loan day', another was 'aerospace day' and my father/neighbor's father could get 'full-park-access' tickets really cheap ( no A-B-C-D-E ticket books). We went there so many times over the years that I tired of the whole place. I still don't live too far from it but have not been there since (at least) 1973.
Old 01-26-20, 07:17 AM
genec
genec

Bottom line... those "destination parks" are really just a once in a lifetime thing for many folks... just think about that foriegn family that has saved "forever" for the trip "to the states," that includes 2 or 3 days at a Disney park. That's it, one shot deal. Blow the whole wad on the one event and call it done.

Then, show the kids/grandkids, the world of nature... trees, beaches, bolders, mountains, glaciers, geysers, streams, fishing, camping, campfires, smores, stars...
Likes For genec:
Old 01-26-20, 08:16 AM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3733 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 166 Posts
Many of these theme destination parks are a rip off - or so I've heard or rather interpreted from my acquaintances who have been. Many hundreds of dollars to mostly stand in line for hours with only a few rides possible. If kids and their parents were not so inundated with marketing they would not have their parents drag them there.
Old 01-26-20, 09:14 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Many of these theme destination parks are a rip off - or so I've heard or rather interpreted from my acquaintances who have been. Many hundreds of dollars to mostly stand in line for hours with only a few rides possible. If kids and their parents were not so inundated with marketing they would not have their parents drag them there.
Essentially, I agree with you...

Best time to go is off season, midweek. Wife and I played work hooky once on a rainy November day in So Cal... went to Disneyland... faced no lines. Rain wasn't that bad as we went from ride to ride quickly, and had a blast. (We were "dating" then...)

Over a decade later, we took our son, and "enjoyed" all those aspects you mentioned. You could not pay me to do it again.

Our son and his friends all went together in their senior year of High School... he hasn't been since... go figure.

Someday, he may take his kids... once.
Old 01-26-20, 09:21 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
Mickey Mouse is really a crime boss. Don’t let Mickey fool you.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.