Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

What is the point of "the outlet challenge..."

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 01-24-20, 12:51 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7510 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 275 Posts

...to see if you are stupid enough to do it?

Ruins a charger, could start a fire and may fling molton metal at you.

People are obviously stupid enough to do this... warnings are going up across the nation... the question is why, what is this fascination with stupid stunts?

What's next, stand in front of a bus, or ride your bike into a brick wall?
Old 01-24-20, 02:25 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 3315 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 456 Posts
It's a variation of the same old trolling and hazing games kids have played since kids were kicked out of the cave by mom and dad and told not to come back until dinnertime.

Having done plenty of stupid stuff as a kid, and watching how the same games have evolved online, my best guess is it's a combination of...
  • Fearlessness. Many kids think they'll live forever and any injuries will be minor and temporary. That's a timeless theme across generations.
  • Nihilism and fatalism. Some generations are plagued with overwhelming anxiety from relentless bad news, wars and rumors of wars, broken families, watching peers die from gang violence, random violence and overdoses, social pressures, the works. We're in a particularly difficult period right now, not only in the US but worldwide. From the perspective of some kids, they don't expect to live long enough to become adults, and even if they do there won't be anything for them -- no jobs, no opportunities, a lousy economy, not much to look forward to other than joining the military and risking death and injury for someone else's benefit.
  • Elitist trolling. One way for nerds to get revenge for being picked on is to trick gullible and less intelligent or educated kids into doing stupid, dangerous stuff that would be obvious if they bothered to read a book or spend 15 minutes Googling around. Over the past 15 years or so I've seen dozens of these pranks and trolling, ranging from encouraging people to make household cleaners better by mixing bleach and ammonia, or "delete System 32 to fix your Windows PC problems". They figure anyone stupid enough to fall for these pranks deserves whatever happens. Just another variation of snipe hunting.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-24-20, 06:01 AM
genec
genec

Wait, snipe hunting isnt real?
Likes For genec:
Old 01-24-20, 09:09 AM
Hondo Gravel
The Price Is Wrong

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 259 Posts
We would pay this kid marbles to do self destructive things for our amusement. Being kids we had no concept of consequences. One time he jumped off the football field bleachers and broke his arm. And of course we all laughed. We got called into the principals office and he explained in not so many words is that this kid is just plain stupid quit paying him marbles to pull stupid stunts. I mean how could he punish all of us for another kidís stupidity. We complied because he was in a cast the rest of the year. This was around 1977 pre social media anything the day of rotary phones and if you liked a girl you passed that age old corny note: Will you sit with me in the cafeteria at lunch? circle Yes or No
Old 01-24-20, 09:33 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Seems like it will make a lot of business for electricians and ER doctors.
Old 01-24-20, 09:35 AM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 143 Posts
Kids need more science/tech education. Mine is taking electronics and of course they learn about safety in the first class(es)

This morning the very first question he asked/said me was "Dad, what is the difference between an 'astable and bistable multivibrator?"
"Ummm, uhhh I think I'd best look it up to be sure" as I was starting to make coffee...
"But I thought you were an engineer?"
"Well I am but engineering has many disciplines". (Plus I've forgotten more than I've learned) "What has drawn your interest in this?"
"Well I am building a circuit to turn on and off an LED and need to make a bistable vibrator with my 555 chip"
"Oh, sound like you know more about this than I do. Let's sit down and work on this after school"
Old 01-24-20, 09:52 AM
hazetguy 
Custom User Title

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 163 Posts
oh how i long for the simpler days of tide pod challenges.
Old 01-24-20, 10:55 AM
skidder
Semi-Crazy

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Kids need more science/tech education. Mine is taking electronics and of course they learn about safety in the first class(es)

This morning the very first question he asked/said me was "Dad, what is the difference between an 'astable and bistable multivibrator?"
"Ummm, uhhh I think I'd best look it up to be sure" as I was starting to make coffee...
"But I thought you were an engineer?"
"Well I am but engineering has many disciplines". (Plus I've forgotten more than I've learned) "What has drawn your interest in this?"
"Well I am building a circuit to turn on and off an LED and need to make a bistable vibrator with my 555 chip"
"Oh, sound like you know more about this than I do. Let's sit down and work on this after school"
Odd thing about this is I'm over 60 yo and know what a 555 chip is.
Seriously, we used to make our own fireworks back in my youthful days. The library had plenty of chemistry books that told what to mix (a lot is on the internet now), and the chemicals were available over-the-counter at the local drug store, gardening center, other supplies at the hardware store. We were smart enough to set them off at the end of the cul-de-sac we lived on (small practice devices), or in a vacant parking lot. The police caught us once, but we were just turned over to our parents for a good scolding. Sadly the chemicals are gone from the shelves, and I'll bet anyone caught doing what we did would get arrested and sent to juvenile hall/counseling. (start humming Warren Zevon's 'Excitable Boy').
Old 01-24-20, 10:57 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 458 Posts
We've gotten to the point where high school age kids don't understand what electricity is, or how it works.

What a time to be alive.
Old 01-24-20, 11:59 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
One way for nerds to get revenge for being picked on is to trick gullible and less intelligent or educated kids into doing stupid, dangerous stuff that would be obvious if they bothered to read a book
Jesus, I wish I'd thought of that when I was 13...
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 01-24-20, 12:30 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Wait, snipe hunting isnt real?
Real enough, I tell ya...lol

As a kid in the scouts one of the camps we stayed in had an older and newer side. The old side was pretty dilapidated and in need to being torn down, really, but made an EXCELLENT late night hike area to do some snipe hunting with the younger scouts. The trail/path led directly by the old cafeteria building with a set of windows just at head height that was really good for the "flashlight below the chin" scare technique. Myself and one of the older scouts ran ahead to get in position. The building had a Dutch door, of which the top portion had been open for possibly years. Just as we open the lower half to go in a very large barn owl flew past us both and skeered us pretty good. We come barreling down the trail at full tilt boogie screaming our heads off and scatter the entire troop. Took us a couple of hours to round everyone back up again in the dark.
Old 01-24-20, 12:36 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2580 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
We've gotten to the point where high school age kids don't understand what electricity is, or how it works.

What a time to be alive.
I still don't understand what it is and how it works. But I know it's dangerous and even more so because I don't really understand it.

Maybe the problem is that kids assume normal daily things are safe to the point of foolproof. Lots of people die because they are in bath with the phone on the charger. Previous generation didn't have safety warnings everywhere but maybe assumed things could be dangerous.
Old 01-24-20, 01:17 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 143 Posts
I first heard of this 'challenge' from this thread and have so far resisted (no pun) the desire to look up what it actually is...
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-24-20, 01:24 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 166 Posts
Tide Pod challenge suddenly not looking that dumb.
Old 01-24-20, 01:52 PM
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2642 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 373 Posts
When I was in high school, the thing for bored kids to do was to fold up a piece of paper and use that to hold a staple to an outlet. It usually just made sparks, occasionally it would dim the lights or pop a ground-fault breaker.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-24-20, 02:34 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Odd thing about this is I'm over 60 yo and know what a 555 chip is.
Seriously, we used to make our own fireworks back in my youthful days. The library had plenty of chemistry books that told what to mix (a lot is on the internet now), and the chemicals were available over-the-counter at the local drug store, gardening center, other supplies at the hardware store. We were smart enough to set them off at the end of the cul-de-sac we lived on (small practice devices), or in a vacant parking lot. The police caught us once, but we were just turned over to our parents for a good scolding. Sadly the chemicals are gone from the shelves, and I'll bet anyone caught doing what we did would get arrested and sent to juvenile hall/counseling. (start humming Warren Zevon's 'Excitable Boy').
I'm over 60 and figured they had stopped using 555 chips by now... especially with surface mount devices and BGAs out there.

Gawd the hours I spent with proto board (breadboard) and the old .1 inch center ICs...

Astable is basically free running, bistable is like a flipflop; needs a trigger to get it to toggle.

I got into electronics with vacuum tubes, went through transistors, then single circuit ICs (like a flipflop on a chip,) then LSICs, then ASIC, now SOICs (system on a chip).

Today what used to take a few refrigerator sized cabinets of transistors can be done in a chip the size of your little fingernail...

We used to charge up large electolytic caps and throw them at one another... "catch." Or hook one ip to a PS backwards... BANG!
Likes For genec:
Old 01-24-20, 03:06 PM
base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 93 Posts
They're doing this now...My gawd! Keep up, Man!

I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.
Old 01-24-20, 03:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
The Price Is Wrong

This thread is great! Brings back the memories.

South Texas is hot and we have a lot of gnats! We would put gnats in the ink tubes of our Bic pens and watch them slowly drown in ink. The science teacher said you guys are sick and laughed.
Old 01-26-20, 03:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 3315 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 456 Posts
Comedian/fake magician Rick Lax specializes in videos that are parodies of DIY tutorials, demonstrating faked experiments that range from merely stupid to dangerous if rubes actually try to recreate these stunts.

It's still less dangerous than getting suckered by the melodrama nations stir up to fight each other.
Old 01-26-20, 10:48 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 100 Posts
There are 2 things I did in my heyday of 5th grade. Either of those 2 was stupid enough to have killed me if they had actually worked. I have a personal lifetime vow to never repeat or tell anyone about them. Honestly, I could have won an award (posthumously) for the stupidest stunt imaginable.

No, I won't tell you.
Old 01-26-20, 11:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 10098 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 829 Posts
All we did when I was in high school was set freshmen on fire.
Old 01-29-20, 06:00 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
oh how i long for the simpler days of tide pod challenges.
Wasn't that a month ago?
Old 01-29-20, 06:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
The Price Is Wrong

One year we put dissected frogs in a kid’s jacket on a cold day around 60 degrees Then wait for the reaction. Very stupid and very funny.
Old 01-30-20, 08:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10107 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 934 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-30-20, 12:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 10098 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
One year we put dissected frogs in a kidís jacket on a cold day around 60 degrees Then wait for the reaction. Very stupid and very funny.
60 degrees is cold??
Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.