Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike trainers tire wear

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike trainers tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 04:32 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I used a TACX trainer tyre for years (1000 miles/yr?) on my two TACX trainers and think it could go a few more years. When the computer I was running TACX Trainer on crashed I decided it was time to upgrade and this fall bought a TACX NEO 2. Massively better than the one's that use a rear wheel and the new TACX software and film rides are quite good.
Old 12-07-19, 09:53 PM
molten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Yipes, I think you need a better class of friends.
Thanks for your answer; i was also thinking this before I displayed the thread. This past-time friend took advantage to one of my bikes, only to sell it. the bike -- that I don't use with the trainer -- before I chose to ask back for the trainer. So, it was not a retaliation to my asking back, I am saying. It would have been great, for the longshot, if he wanted to the trainer more than acceptance of the bike.
Old 12-08-19, 09:06 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
i am looking at the CycleOps fluid trainer 2
That is the same trainer I have so let me tell you what I do.

First off if the trainer is adjusted correctly per their instructions you will not accelerated wear on the tire, if you see tiny specs of black debris, rubber, on the floor near the rear wheel then you need to back off a tad on the roller pressure against the tire, ride again and look for the same debris, if there back if a tad more; by tad I mean an 1/8th of a turn.

Secondly as far as tires go, while there is nothing wrong with using a trainer tire the question is is it necessary to use a trainer tire? no, I've never used a trainer tire, I use my old tires that are no longer good for the street, BUT, first you have to clean that tire real well and pick out any embedded specs in the tire, debris left on the tire can, over time, create a groove on the drum so you need to make darn sure that tire is clean. Inspect the tire after every trainer ride to make sure you don't have any exposed cording showing through, that can put a groove on the drum if left that way.

And lastly, put some sort of mat, rubber is preferred, under the entire trainer, probably a mat that is at least 4 feet long by 4 feet wide, this is to catch sweat from dripping onto the floor; another trick in regards to sweat is to put a fan in front of you so that it blows air at you, this will simulate a breeze as you ride and keep sweat from dripping off in scads.
Old 12-09-19, 12:46 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott

First off if the trainer is adjusted correctly per their instructions you will not accelerated wear on the tire, if you see tiny specs of black debris, rubber, on the floor near the rear wheel then you need to back off a tad on the roller pressure against the tire, ride again and look for the same debris, if there back if a tad more; by tad I mean an 1/8th of a turn.

Secondly as far as tires go, while there is nothing wrong with using a trainer tire the question is is it necessary to use a trainer tire? no, I've never used a trainer tire, I use my old tires that are no longer good for the street, BUT, first you have to clean that tire real well and pick out any embedded specs in the tire, debris left on the tire can, over time, create a groove on the drum so you need to make darn sure that tire is clean. Inspect the tire after every trainer ride to make sure you don't have any exposed cording showing through, that can put a groove on the drum if left that way.

And lastly, put some sort of mat, rubber is preferred, under the entire trainer, probably a mat that is at least 4 feet long by 4 feet wide, this is to catch sweat from dripping onto the floor; another trick in regards to sweat is to put a fan in front of you so that it blows air at you, this will simulate a breeze as you ride and keep sweat from dripping off in scads.
Thank you Great Scott.much appreciated
Old 12-09-19, 12:47 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott

I forgot to ask. How do you like this trainer. Is it worth every penney? Thanks
Old 12-09-19, 05:00 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I have the same Cycleops trainer as Scott, and agree with everything he wrote.

Like every cycling purchase, it is worth the price if you use it. I got great use of mine the first year, then didn’t for several years, and in the past year have started using it again.

If I were to go back in time to when I bought the Cycleops, though, I would spring the extra for a Tacx or similar wheelless trainer.
Old 01-25-20, 07:38 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
How difficult would it be to set up a direct drive trainer with a 1990s vintage 8-speed Campagnolo Veloce cassette?
I am contemplating giving in to peer pressure from my bike friends and buying a trainer and a Zwift subscription. The obvious bike to put on the trainer is my beloved-but-seldom-ridden Trek 2200 with a 2x8 Campagnolo Veloce drivetrain. Also, I suspect my eleven-year-old daughter might want to share the fun with her Trek KRX with a 2x9 Shimano Sora drivetrain. How much of an operation is it to switch cassettes on a direct-drive trainer? Those with direct-drive trainers seem adamant that direct drive is the way to go, but perhaps the ability to switch between bikes with different drivetrains would be the deciding factor for going with a wheel-on trainer for my situation.