Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 09:06 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Sorry, I think the current mission remains "real rainbow," with extra credit for double (or triple).

Beginning Sunday, January 26, 2020 the mission becomes "real rainbow, or graphical representations of a rainbow." (Unclear if extra credit for nyan cat or unicorn.)

-mr. bill
Not an entry, but walking on the Minuteman Bikeway this morning saw a “rainbow” in Pokemon Go Land. It went away before I could grab my bike, and not sure how to get my bike in there anyway.

-mr. bill
Old 01-26-20, 04:40 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I hate to be a party pooper, but all the posting of examples of pics from previous rides is making it confusing. And so now the rainbow is up and again there isn't a new mission. What is the current mission?

Dan
I believe that was an example. The current mission is sitll a rainbow. At least from historical research I've conducted on this last page.
Old 01-28-20, 09:09 AM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
San Bernardino is fancy enough!

Regarding "Which would be my assignment, if my submission is satisfactory: that's the kind of picture the city council would put on the brochure to try to get more people to move here or buy things here. So show me something that would be in the travel brochure, even if it's a lie. That pic makes it look like I live someplace fancy... which I don't.", San Bernardino is fancy enough! I lived there during my grade school years (Pacific High School, Class of 1979 - Yeah, I'm old.). In my humble opinion, San Bernardino is a better place now than it was in the 1970s when it won a national award as the "All American City". One major thing that makes San Bernardino better now is that the air is a lot cleaner. When I was in elementary school, one of the teachers had a vacuum cleaner that he would use to test the air quality by placing a sock over the inlet nozzle. He would run the vacuum cleaner for a few minutes during recess and then show us what we had been breathing. Another thing that makes San Bernardino better now is that Rosa Maria's didn't exist back then. San Bernardino is one of the few places in southern California where a person making a middle-class salary can still afford to buy a house. There is now a commuter rail line to downtown Los Angeles where good jobs can be found. Best of all, there are some great bike roads in the San Bernardino area. I liked San Timoteo Canyon Road, Reche Canyon Road, Old Route 66 in Cajon Pass from Highland Avenue to Cleghorn Road, and Mill Creek Road up into the San Bernardino National Forest. I understand there are now some rail trains, the Pacific Electric Trail and Santa Ana River Trail.
Old 01-28-20, 09:22 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The smog was never from here to begin with-- the IE smog still blows in from the LA Basin, just not as much of it, and not as often. So sure, air quality is better. But with the shuttering of Norton AFB and March AFB in the 90s, San Bernardino fell into a state of urban decay from which it is unlikely to ever recover.

The entire "downtown" area is just bleak. The train station and transit depot are places you don't want to leave anything unlocked, your car overnight, or even really spend any amount of time alone. I've lived in the IE my entire life-- born in Saint B's on Highland Ave, went to HS at Aquinas.

San Bernardino has always been the place that's in between other places. There's no real reason to actually come here... well unless you have something absolutely horrible happen to you--- Loma Linda UMC is the only Level 1 trauma center in like 4 counties.

Now on the upside, and the primary reason we still live in this area (outside of family) is that it actually is the place between other places. I can ride 3 hours north and be at the highest paved mountain pass in Southern California (Onyx Summit) or I can ride 3 hours west and be at the Pacific Ocean.
Old 01-28-20, 09:26 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Wow, that was quite the history on San Bernadino. My Step Dad lived in Mission Viejo for a while. I forget if I said that earlier. He was a California Highway Patrolman. I think stationed in Orange County.... Somewhere.

How long do we wait for a completed mission. It's been overcast here several days and I can't think of a place that has like a rainbow on the wall to ride by.... I have a mission in mind if need be, but I'll wait a bit longer unless enough of you say call it. It would be a cool mission to see.
Old 01-28-20, 11:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M

How long do we wait for a completed mission. It's been overcast here several days and I can't think of a place that has like a rainbow on the wall to ride by.... I have a mission in mind if need be, but I'll wait a bit longer unless enough of you say call it. It would be a cool mission to see.
Wait no longer. Say hello to Rainbow Brite, my daughter's favorite friend from 30 years ago.

Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 01-28-20, 11:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
.... I have a mission in mind if need be, but I'll wait a bit longer unless enough of you say call it. It would be a cool mission to see.
Assuming that Rainbow Brite met the mission requirements I cede the next mission assignment to 3S1M.Let's see that "Cool Mission" assignment.

Enjoy a little more Rainbow action on a gray day, while we wait for the cool mission.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-28-20 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-28-20, 12:17 PM
3S1M

Your bike and a donut shop. Doesn't have to be Dunkin, although not sure what else is out there..... Milwaukee has this one called "honeydipped donuts" and it looks like they bought an old Dunkin Donuts and didn't change much but the sign.... LOL.

You get extra street cred if there is a box, bag or exposed donut in the pic.... LOL.
Old 01-28-20, 02:10 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Rainbow in the bag

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Assuming that Rainbow Brite met the mission requirements ...
Absolutely according to my able assistant.
Old 01-28-20, 02:24 PM
mr_bill

Your bike and a donut shop. Doesn't have to be Dunkin, although not sure what else is out there.....
OBVIOUSLY not an entry?

In the land of Dunkin', we have so many donut shops. (Yeah, we got lots of Dunks, but we got lots of not Dunks too.)

-mr. bill
Old 01-28-20, 08:05 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

San Bernardino has always been the place that's in between other places. There's no real reason to actually come here... well unless you have something absolutely horrible happen to you---
Like getting an advanced degree during a recession?

Funny thing, I just interviewed for a job in San Bernardino yesterday. And for some unknown reason, I *really* want to move there, because I think it's better than where I've been. (I won't know if I made the short-short list for another month, though.)
Old 01-29-20, 08:29 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

As a lifelong resident and CSUSB graduate, while I will preface by saying that SB ain't the worst place, it certainly ain't the best either-- so wherever you were living before, I'mma take a pass on that one.

Now if we're talking about the 'burbs (like where I live) or up in Northpark or summat, it's a'ight. Still only a place between other places, though. I think the average commute for my wife's coworkers is around 25 miles each way.

As to the current mission, I will refrain from using old stock, as I have more than one pic in my file of my bike leaning against a donut shop-- the machine does kill donuts, after all.

I know I'll get sniped by an east coaster (the sun isn't even up yet here) but it gives me a destination, so I'mma go for a current pic anyway.
Old 01-29-20, 09:34 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
As a lifelong resident and CSUSB graduate, while I will preface by saying that SB ain't the worst place, it certainly ain't the best either-- so wherever you were living before, I'mma take a pass on that one.

Now if we're talking about the 'burbs (like where I live) or up in Northpark or summat, it's a'ight. Still only a place between other places, though. I think the average commute for my wife's coworkers is around 25 miles each way.

As to the current mission, I will refrain from using old stock, as I have more than one pic in my file of my bike leaning against a donut shop-- the machine does kill donuts, after all.

I know I'll get sniped by an east coaster (the sun isn't even up yet here) but it gives me a destination, so I'mma go for a current pic anyway.
Me too, us left coasters have a built in 3 hour disadvantage. But at least its nicer bike weather once the sun gets up.😊 I'll take it.
Old 01-29-20, 09:38 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Add to that the fact that I awoke to winds from the NNE @ 11mph, gusts to 18mph, and going out to get a pic of a donut shop (and eat a donut, obvs) is the only thing getting me on the bike today.

Oh, what's that Weather Underground? Did you have something to tell me? "Sunny skies. Becoming windy late. High 68F. Winds NNE at 20 to 30 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph."

Old 01-29-20, 10:54 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

.... bike leaning against a donut shop-- the machine does kill donuts, after all... so I'mma go for a current pic anyway.
I, for one, really, really, really want to see the "donut killer" in front of a donut shop.
Old 01-29-20, 12:30 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The weather report was truthful in that the wind was gonna get worse. Because it absolutely did. The last 25 minutes was grinding up a slight hill into a hella wind at about 9mph. I can hear trash cans getting whipped around as I type this.

I got almost all of the shops on the circuit I rode-- I skipped Donut Factory on 3rd and Tippecanoe because the loiter squad was already brown baggin' it at 9:30am on a Wednesday, and I felt like I was out of dress code.

In order of passage, from first to last, a nice half dozen donuts. If it hadn't been apocalyptically windy, I might have gone for a full dozen. Note: I have no idea if the two Manna Donuts are in any way affiliated. They're the furthest apart.

Old 01-29-20, 01:29 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Regarding donuts, I used to be fond of Winchell's, which used to be near Highland and Del Rosa, but that has probably been gone for decades.
Old 01-29-20, 01:53 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The Yum Yum in pic #2 was a Winchell's back in the day. Apparently Winchell's was sold to Yum Yum back in the early 2000s. There's still a Yum Yum that was formerly a Winchell's way down on Highland around H street.

I know the spot you're talking about, and (almost) nothing from even the 90s remains. When they tore down the old Sages @ Del Rosa and Highland, two big blocks went in adjacent to Del Rosa Bowl-- including Miller's Outpost, The Warehouse, Fuddruckers, Maxwell Street Pizza, you name it.

They're all gone. Every single one. Anything with square footage is city/county buildings now. I grew up right around the corner, in the days of the Family Twin Cinema and the Gemco.

Sometimes it's weird to see what was in childhood an empty lot, become a big shopping center and then return to being an empty lot again.

Meanwhile, donut shops appear to be immortal. 3D Donuts has been in that location for like... 35 years? More? It's older than the city it's in (which wasn't incorporated until 1986.)
Old 01-29-20, 02:03 PM
mr_bill

Oh well, well and truly late. Spectacular set of donuts above.

A few hours late, but this is my favorite donut place:

-mr. bill
Old 01-29-20, 02:06 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Dr. Isotope,
Please recommend a San Bernardino area ride.
I will be visiting family in the San Bernardino area this weekend. My brother has proposed that I do a ride with him. We would both be on hardtail mountain bikes, but we wouldn't be looking to do anything off road. A round trip of about twenty miles (not more than forty) on paved roads that aren't terribly busy would be ideal. I've proposed several routes (Cajon Pass, San Timeteo Canyon, Reche Canyon, and Mill Creek), but we've done those before.
Thanks in advance,
Too Old and Slow
Old 01-29-20, 02:25 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Dunno where you're starting out of in SB, but anything out towards Sunset in Redlands with a return via Overcrest and Greenspot is where I would take a visitor on a local ride. The roads vary from "a little busy" to "virtually abandoned," and the views are excellent. Up Terracina to Serpentine and Sunset across to Alta Vista, crossing into Yucaipa to Overcrest and through Redlands/Mentone to Greenspot is always nice. Greenspot Market would fall around the midway point, if you happen to like jerky (and who doesn't.) With the forecast for this weekend, there should be a whole lotta bikes out in Redlands.

Though it's much greener right now, here's looking down from Edgemont/Sunset towards the Cajon Pass, sometime in the winter of 2017:
Old 01-29-20, 03:03 PM
flangehead

Fantastic! Next Mission?

..... In order of passage, from first to last, a nice half dozen donuts....
Next mission?
Old 01-29-20, 03:53 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Nest mission: two of a kind, not together. Like I wanna see the same thing twice. In two different locations.
Old 01-29-20, 08:35 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Dr. Isotope,

Regarding Sages, you must be fairly old too. Sages went down the drain in the early 1970s. I remember Gemco and the Twin Cinema. My sister and I went to see "Smokey and the Bandit" there. We thought Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason deserved Oscars.

Regarding Greenspot Road, my brother says he has done it, but he complains that it is too steep. My mother used to ride out in the direction on weekends well into her seventies. If you ever saw an old lady in that area on a green Trek 520, that was her.

- Too Old and Slow
Old 01-29-20, 09:12 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Florida St. hits about 5% for about 3/4 of a mile, and that's the steepest bit. Most of it is 2-3%. But if the Greenspot climb is too much, that absolutely rules out Overcrest and Sunset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.