Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frames and Framebuilding -- 1970 - 1979 (Part 1)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 12:29 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts

Bicycling magazine has published many articles concerning various aspects of frame building, including design, materials, manufacturing, and custom builders.
I'll post them somewhat chronologically by decade beginning with the first 3 articles in a series written by Fred DeLong.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 01-27-20, 06:46 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Love the tech! Keep it coming!
Old 01-28-20, 03:30 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
That geometry diagram makes for one ugly bike. I'm not sure how cutouts lead to excessive heating of the tubes, unless we're talking Hetchins extensions. I think someone just doesn't like the look. Low temperature silver will actually generally result in weaker joints than bronze brazing. Bronze brazing will get the steel to a high enough temperature that there is a mild hardening response when air cooled as the unheated portions of the frame act like a heat sink, although the transition area between the hardened area and the unheated area will be weakened. The insulation thing was actually done on some mass production Fujis, although bronze brazed, which would have lowered the hardening response. It's also noteworthy that frames were silver brazed in the jigs, something many modern frame builders think is bad and that frames should only be tacked in jigs because of distortion. However, this seems to have been standard practice, especially for 753 to avoid the need to cold set after brazing. I personally lean to the idea that brazing in jigs is fine as long as distortion is minimized. I suspect the modern thought on brazing in jigs is colored by welding. Ultimately practical experience doesn't seem to show any particular practical advantages of these special treatments being praised here when using normal lugs and tubing that could be joined either way. Silver brazing and insulation offer more advantage to the builder in terms of making alignment and avoiding overheating tubes easier, rather than any advantage to the rider with an otherwise normally bronze brazed and cold set frame.
Old 01-28-20, 04:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Even as a kid I knew that the diagrams in the bicycle magazines were lifts from others, terribly done, or done by folk who had no idea on reasonable bicycle reference.
That said, the brazing comments are... interesting. I guess the best lugs are what would come on a Raleigh roadster? Lots of surface area...
In brazing things up, after one does a few things if you are watching reveal themselves.
One understands why pinning is not a bad solution.
That the rear triangle will close up 8mm or so if not compensated for before you braze things up.
brazing sub assemblies when working one at a time is not a bad idea. HT/DT, ST/BB shell first can really reduce the stress stack.

Masi in Carlsbad btw, brazed up the rear dropout to the chainstay first, then the seat stay to that (so the angle was jigged up), the last major connection was ST to Seatlug to a completed rear triangle.
Bridges after. The also brazed up the fork with the legs straight and induced the rake on both blades at once. (some do not like that way, but I can see many virtues)