Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Muc-off Lubes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Muc-off Lubes

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 12:11 PM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Muc-off Lubes

Saw a comment in one of the waxing threads about hearing others experience with Muc-Off dry lubes so figured I get the ball rolling.

Personally I’ve been using the Muc-Off stuff for over a year now. My primary is the C-3 dry lube and unless I get caught in the rain I get a weeks worth of riding out of one application, for me that equates to around 120-130 miles a week. Between each application I clean everything well, with the C-3 dry it only takes soapy water and a sponge whereas the hydrodynamic and C-3 wet require solvents, and lube a drop per roller. If I know I’m going to be in crud (or several day trip where the weather could be iffy) then I’ll use one of the wet lubes. I try and stay away from the wet stuff as it gets that really thick, sticky, nasty black crud everywhere. The dry does get dirty after a week but not overly gross like the wet stuff. It will leave some black marks on your fingers but they wash off with a squirt of the water bottle.

Overall I’ve been impressed with it enough to stop waxing my chains and use it exclusively.
Likes For silverado8405:
Old 01-25-20, 05:13 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I've been using the wet ceramic for a few months now on my Winter beater. Pretty happy with it. Easy to clean compared to my last wet lube.
I just switched to Muc-Off dry after I finally finished my bottle of Finish Line. I've only used it on one of my bikes on a few rides and so far so good. Again,easy to clean compared to others.
Plus they both have a pleasant scent!
Old 01-27-20, 10:08 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I've been using regular Muc-Off dry for a while, just switched to the C3, dry and wet. I wanted to try the wet for the gravel bike, kept having issues with the regular dry lube not lasting on longer rides and my drivetrain would be grinding by the end of the ride. The wet has worked really well, and isn't too horrible to clean (I clean the gravel bike after every gravel ride anyway). Using the dry on the road bike and when riding the gravel bike on the road and it's working great.
Old 01-27-20, 11:51 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
I'm also on the dry lube wagon, so to speak. Wipe the chain with dry towel after each ride and lube when I feel it is needed. The chain works fine and is clean too.
Old 01-28-20, 09:57 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by silverado8405
Saw a comment in one of the waxing threads about hearing others experience with Muc-Off dry lubes so figured I get the ball rolling.

Personally I’ve been using the Muc-Off stuff for over a year now. My primary is the C-3 dry lube and unless I get caught in the rain I get a weeks worth of riding out of one application, for me that equates to around 120-130 miles a week. Between each application I clean everything well, with the C-3 dry it only takes soapy water and a sponge whereas the hydrodynamic and C-3 wet require solvents, and lube a drop per roller. If I know I’m going to be in crud (or several day trip where the weather could be iffy) then I’ll use one of the wet lubes. I try and stay away from the wet stuff as it gets that really thick, sticky, nasty black crud everywhere. The dry does get dirty after a week but not overly gross like the wet stuff. It will leave some black marks on your fingers but they wash off with a squirt of the water bottle.

Overall I’ve been impressed with it enough to stop waxing my chains and use it exclusively.
I used the Muc-Off Bio Dry-Lube most of 2019 season (mainly dry conditions) - roughly 5000kms. It does attract some dirt, but nothing unusual. Regardless, it does the job very well. Cleaned & re-lubed my chain every ride or so (100kms). Not sure what's the interval recommended, but I found that that one kept my drive-train silent. Deep clean (chain cleaner tool with degreaser inside & water rinsing) every 500kms - lots of grease / dirt coming out of it & sticking to my microfiber cloths.

As good & efficient as wax? It can't be.
Old 01-30-20, 12:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Muc~Off Dry Chain Lube smells like apples & that's not a bad thing ...

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-30-20, 07:32 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I am using Mucoff Hydrodynamic and I like it pretty well. Super wet here this month and it has held up pretty well. Got it on sale at REI for 5 bucks.