Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What to do with my Tricross?

Old 01-27-20, 05:24 PM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts
What to do with my Tricross?

I’m looking for advice. I’m 6’3”, 225lbs, retired and was a roadie back in the seventies. I quit cycling until a couple years ago. I bought a 2007 Tricross Comp sized 58cm, XL hoping to use it to get back into cycling. Mistakenly I thought I wanted straight bars so I swapped bars with a Sequoia elite XXL I got from my LBS. I took the straight bar Tricross out a few times. The Tricross seemed too small for me. My last ride with it I rode through a pothole lined with dried leaves, touched the front brake and got slammed. It’s been sitting ever since.

I since just bought a Giant Revolt Advanced that seems perfect for local rides in the Sierra Nevada foothills. If I felt the Tricross fit me I would reinstall the drop bar and use it when the situation warrants. Should I expect to be able to adjust things on a Specialized XL frame to fit me? My option is to try to sell it. My desire is to ride a combination of paved and gravel staying off of roads with no bike lanes. Lots of opportunities to ride gravel around here.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 01-27-20, 05:39 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Sjtaylor
I’m looking for advice. I’m 6’3”, 225lbs, retired and was a roadie back in the seventies. I quit cycling until a couple years ago. I bought a 2007 Tricross Comp sized 58cm, XL hoping to use it to get back into cycling. Mistakenly I thought I wanted straight bars so I swapped bars with a Sequoia elite XXL I got from my LBS. I took the straight bar Tricross out a few times. The Tricross seemed too small for me. My last ride with it I rode through a pothole lined with dried leaves, touched the front brake and got slammed. It’s been sitting ever since.

I since just bought a Giant Revolt Advanced that seems perfect for local rides in the Sierra Nevada foothills. If I felt the Tricross fit me I would reinstall the drop bar and use it when the situation warrants. Should I expect to be able to adjust things on a Specialized XL frame to fit me? My option is to try to sell it. My desire is to ride a combination of paved and gravel staying off of roads with no bike lanes. Lots of opportunities to ride gravel around here.

Thanks for any thoughts.
What do you mean when you say you "got slammed"? And why did that cause you to put it away?

As well, if you traded road bars for flat bars the bike would likely feel smaller because the flat bars would be closer than the drop hoods. Getting a longer stem would likely make it feel better sized again.

Last edited by stevel610; 01-27-20 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 05:41 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
I'd sell over trying to make a bike that is too small work. Plus it may cost you a bit if you don't have the drop bar parts for the tricross anymore.
Old 01-28-20, 08:41 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I'm not sure why you want both the tri-cross and the Revolt?
When fitting a bike, the first thing I look at is my cockpit length (top tube length + stem). That is going to tell me if a bike will fit or not. You can change the length of the stem about 20mm without messing up the handling too much.

The tri cross is a good beater bike, good commuter bike. But if I had a new (similar) bike, I wouldn't be giving the Tri-cross a lot of love ...
Old 01-28-20, 08:55 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question. You have a brand new (better) bike and you're wondering what to do with your old bike that doesn't fit? Sell it.

Btw, 58cm != XL. It's too small for you.