Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Portable Clyde Food?

Old 11-05-19, 01:44 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I do a good deal of self contained touring and I agree 100% with this. Tuna and salmon are for dinner, and it's the foil packed stuff, because it's lighter to carry. Sometimes sardines on a bagel for breakfast.

And newtons are a staple of on road food when I am touring. Filling and light.

My camp dinners are legendary amongst my friends. Here is foil packed tuna with fresh garlic, shallots, zucchini, and red sauce over pasta during my September trip on the Great Allegheny Passage.

Well that explains it. I thought you were just talking about rides as in rides from your house for several hours. Now you are talking about day long rides and camping overnight. I am totally for it although I abhor camping. The very thought of camping or having to camp died after I turned 16. With sleep apnea, I need power for my device. So, although it looks good, you lost me on "camp dinners".

john
Old 11-05-19, 02:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
The very thought of camping or having to camp died after I turned 16.
Died so young. What a shame.

Twenty years ago this past spring I started my first ever self contained tour. Nearly four months on the road and about 6,000 miles. The first night of the trip was the first night I ever camped. There were 13 of us. Each night a pair had to make dinner for the group. Since I had never camp cooked I asked to be in the last pair so I could watch and learn for a week. When my turn came the big pot of pasta water we were trying to boil fell over thanks to uneven ground. I went to pick up one of the stoves, touched a hot part and burned the crap out my index finger.

But I digress...I am nearly 55 and still love to camp and cook a hearty, tasty dinner after the day's ride.

It's been my observation that a lot of cyclists eat more than they need to during rides. Even I have guilty of that. When crossing the country I actually put on weight in the Midwest. Some of us got into the habit of eating a second breakfast out many days. It was just that: a habit. It wasn't really needed. Combine that with the relatively flatter terrain of the Midwest and you have a recipe for an expanding gut. Mostly kicked that habit when we got to the east and lost the weight in the hills of New York and New England.

A few years ago I started experimenting with eating less on tour. Hasn't hurt my performance. Sometimes you don't have any choice. I did this day again back in June:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23254899?beta=false

Over 4,000' of climbing. The only source of food and water en route is at mile 2.8, and the place wasn't open when I set out at first light. I did the entire day on some fig bars and coffee for breakfast, a water bottle of Perpetuem liquid fuel, a cliff bar, an apple and water. I was hungry at the end of the day, but I never bonked on the road.
Old 11-05-19, 03:09 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
For what length ride?
Old 11-05-19, 03:12 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Do people really eat baked potatoes with butter whilst riding? That doesn't seem very convenient.
One of the crowd (and my) favorites at the Buffalo Classic (Univ Colorado Boulder's annual century ride) is yukon gold potatoes. At mile 75 they were fantastic
Old 11-06-19, 03:16 PM
rutan74

Died so young. What a shame.

Twenty years ago this past spring I started my first ever self contained tour. Nearly four months on the road and about 6,000 miles. The first night of the trip was the first night I ever camped. There were 13 of us. Each night a pair had to make dinner for the group. Since I had never camp cooked I asked to be in the last pair so I could watch and learn for a week. When my turn came the big pot of pasta water we were trying to boil fell over thanks to uneven ground. I went to pick up one of the stoves, touched a hot part and burned the crap out my index finger.

But I digress...I am nearly 55 and still love to camp and cook a hearty, tasty dinner after the day's ride.

It's been my observation that a lot of cyclists eat more than they need to during rides. Even I have guilty of that. When crossing the country I actually put on weight in the Midwest. Some of us got into the habit of eating a second breakfast out many days. It was just that: a habit. It wasn't really needed. Combine that with the relatively flatter terrain of the Midwest and you have a recipe for an expanding gut. Mostly kicked that habit when we got to the east and lost the weight in the hills of New York and New England.

A few years ago I started experimenting with eating less on tour. Hasn't hurt my performance. Sometimes you don't have any choice. I did this day again back in June:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23254899?beta=false

Over 4,000' of climbing. The only source of food and water en route is at mile 2.8, and the place wasn't open when I set out at first light. I did the entire day on some fig bars and coffee for breakfast, a water bottle of Perpetuem liquid fuel, a cliff bar, an apple and water. I was hungry at the end of the day, but I never bonked on the road.
Well that sounds great. Now you have to have the time to do it. I work so no way I could take 4 months to ride. That will have to wait until I retire and then I will attempt a cross country ride if my health holds. I figure the wife will drive the SAG wagon so it will be a bucket list ride.

I wish I would have had a job that would have allowed me that kind of time.

john
Old 11-07-19, 06:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
Well that sounds great. Now you have to have the time to do it. I work so no way I could take 4 months to ride.
At age 34 I volunteered to be downsized in the wake of a corporate acquisition. Ended up taking two years off from the working world. During that time I did three long tours. Along with the x-country tour I spent 7 weeks touring Andalucia, Spain in the winter/spring of '00. Came home, rested for a few weeks then went out to Seattle and rode from there to Mesa Verde National Park to hang with some people who were interning there. After exactly two years off I got my old job back.

I am still working, but I do get 5 weeks of vacation. I usually do a two-week trip in June (Montana and Idaho again this year.), a one-week trip in September and several other long weekends here and there. Helps having no kids or spouse to factor into the equation, but I do have to make sure I have cat sitting coverage.
Old 11-07-19, 02:47 PM
rutan74

At age 34 I volunteered to be downsized in the wake of a corporate acquisition. Ended up taking two years off from the working world. During that time I did three long tours. Along with the x-country tour I spent 7 weeks touring Andalucia, Spain in the winter/spring of '00. Came home, rested for a few weeks then went out to Seattle and rode from there to Mesa Verde National Park to hang with some people who were interning there. After exactly two years off I got my old job back.

I am still working, but I do get 5 weeks of vacation. I usually do a two-week trip in June (Montana and Idaho again this year.), a one-week trip in September and several other long weekends here and there. Helps having no kids or spouse to factor into the equation, but I do have to make sure I have cat sitting coverage.
Nice. I get 5 weeks too but that is usually spread out.

Speaking of Montana and Idaho, I have been trying to get out there and do the Cycle Greater Yellowstone ride. I've been planning for 6 years now and it seems every year something comes up that prevents me from committing to the trip which is a week long affair. I hear there are only 100 spots left for next year so I might have to get off the pot and get registered and just do this thing. I have never been west of the Mississippi, so this would be a real buck list type of ride for me. No camping though. I gotta go cream puff and try and stay in motels which they offer.

john