Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Climbing Gain PR

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Climbing Gain PR

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-20, 08:11 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I looked at a few maps. OldsCool's 10-mile loop from Boyne City to Walloon Lake is 678 feet of climbing. Call it 68 ft/mi. In mid-Michigan I average more like 18-20 feet per mile. There are no big climbs anywhere near my home. Strava keeps an inaccurate account of my climbing, but I don't even look at it.
The only flat stretch (1-2mi) is when coming back into town. The Wildwood Harbor/Shadow Trails loop remains one of the hilly-est, funnest routes from town. And the scenery is beautiful. As BlazingPedals can attest, that first 2mi hill is a doozey.
Old 12-19-20, 01:30 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I will finish up the season with 32,000ft, a 12,000ft improvement over last year. Not too bad considering we have 5mos of decent riding, I’m 63 and hunt deer for 3 months in Oct-Dec. Who knows what next year will bring but I know the warm part of the season will be with much expectation.
Old 12-21-20, 12:54 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Imagine living in Florida. Also, imagine living in Northern Michigan. Imagine working a demanding job. Imagine having health challenges.

Be grateful.
You would be surprised about certain areas in Florida. I have ridden near Panama City and it was flat as a board. I have also ridden the "Horrible Hundred" in Clermont which is about 25 miles west of Orlando and it is quite hilly there. You will find the highest "mountain" in Florida there which is Sugarloaf Mountain. It is not that long about .5-.75 miles but it is steep. For the Horrible Hundred, it was about 4600 feet of elevation gain over 100 miles. I think I recorded 12 "climbs" that feel into double digits of vertical.

The climbs are not long like you find on the Blue Ridge Parkway but they are steep. So that area in Florida is really hilly. Only about a 20 mile radius of hills. Not many people realize this when they think of Florida but I found out the hard way. Contrast that to the Savannah Century that was 102 miles with an elevation gain of like 900 feet. Talk about flat. Then of course you have the converse with the Assault on Mt Mitchell in North Carolina that is 102 miles at 11,000 feet of elevation gain. That one hurt the most but the Horrible Hundred in Florida was tough too.

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 12-24-20, 04:58 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
345,302 ft. In 5,206 miles this year. The mileage for the year is on the low end since Strava in 2012 but my weekday rides, unlike my Covid-free commute, have some climbing so this years elevation gain might be a pr for me. I can't tell for sure because I am not a premium Strava user.
Old 12-25-20, 01:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
An old riding buddy of mine has twice ridden from Fort Collins to the top of Trail Ridge Road and back again, in a single day. A long and brutal ride, and on some sketchy roads - winding, poor visibility, narrow shoulders, and many distracted tourists.
It's actually a pretty safe ride if you take Devils Gulch and Old Fall River Road to the top, and then Trail Ridge Road back down.

On edit: Oops, just realized the post was from 12/24 last year.
Old 12-25-20, 01:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's actually a pretty safe ride if you take Devils Gulch and Old Fall River Road to the top, and then Trail Ridge Road back down.

On edit: Oops, just realized the post was from 12/24 last year.
Old thread! But I think he rode up Big Thompson Cyn to Estes.
Old 12-25-20, 02:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Old thread! But I think he rode up Big Thompson Cyn to Estes.
Devils Gulch bypasses the upper half of Big Thompson Canyon, and Old Fall River Road is an alternate route to the top of Trail Ridge Road. They're a lot safer than taking Big Thompson and Trail Ridge the whole way to the top, because they have very little traffic.