Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replenishing Lost Sealant

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-16-20, 11:03 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts

I'm new to tubeless tires, and last night while inserting, then removing an inner tube for practice at home, I lost a considerable amount of sealant. When I reinflated the tire without the inner tube, it sealed up fine and held air. Before taking the bike out on the road, do I need to replenish the lost sealant?
Old 01-16-20, 11:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
... while inserting, then removing an inner tube for practice...
Wh... why?

I lost a considerable amount of sealant. .... do I need to replenish the lost sealant?
"Considerable"? Yes, of course you need to replace it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-16-20, 11:58 AM
Robert A

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Wh... why?
Three weeks ago, I flatted with tubeless and couldn't insert an inner tube to get me home. I wanted to make sure that wouldn't happen again.
Likes For Robert A:
Old 01-16-20, 11:58 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Yes
Old 01-16-20, 12:45 PM
WhyFi

Three weeks ago, I flatted with tubeless and couldn't insert an inner tube to get me home. I wanted to make sure that wouldn't happen again.
Oh, you're that guy.

Yeah, before worrying about inserting a tube, you should be looking at why it was necessary in the first place. Those punctures are highly unlikely with a proper sealant, though you never did say what sealant you're using. What are you using? For that matter, you never did find the puncture site, you only mention sealant near the valve stem, which makes me wonder if it was the stem install.

Sealant should take care of the vast majority of punctures and plugs should take care of those that are slightly too big for sealant. Bigger than that, you're looking at cuts that probably need to be booted, in which case, yeah, you'll need to install a tube... but they're rare.

Should you be able to break the bead in the field? Sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to shove in a tube and make a huge mess for the sake of practicing something that's not terribly common.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-16-20, 01:36 PM
Robert A

Yes, I'm "that' guy, the one who is learning as much as possible about bicycle maintenance and operation. I don't know why the tire leaked in the first place, but it has held pressure ever since the LBS added sealant after the original flat.
Old 01-16-20, 02:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Oh, you're that guy.

Yeah, before worrying about inserting a tube, you should be looking at why it was necessary in the first place. Those punctures are highly unlikely with a proper sealant, though you never did say what sealant you're using. What are you using? For that matter, you never did find the puncture site, you only mention sealant near the valve stem, which makes me wonder if it was the stem install.

Sealant should take care of the vast majority of punctures and plugs should take care of those that are slightly too big for sealant. Bigger than that, you're looking at cuts that probably need to be booted, in which case, yeah, you'll need to install a tube... but they're rare.

Should you be able to break the bead in the field? Sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to shove in a tube and make a huge mess for the sake of practicing something that's not terribly common.
​​​​​​This is a thing, it's bit me in the ass. You can inflate the tire this way, so it isn't obvious if you're not looking for it, but it won't hold much pressure.
Old 01-16-20, 02:18 PM
Robert A

Seattle, I don't know how the sealant was inserted, nor which product was used. The tire came preinstalled with the wheel.

Let's not go back to what happened before. I just want to know the correct procedures going forward.
Old 01-16-20, 02:56 PM
WhyFi

Let's not go back to what happened before. I just want to know the correct procedures going forward.
How can you know the correct procedure when you don't know what failed and how it failed?

Again, what you're practicing for is something that should be very, very unlikely if you've done everything else right. I'm trying to help you make sure that you're doing everything else right.

Since you don't know what kind of sealant is in the tire, the first thing I'd suggest is replacing it with Orange Seal. Since you want to learn, take the opportunity to do it yourself - you'll get to practice breaking the beads and lifting them over the rim before mopping up the sealant inside. Then you'll get more practice reinstalling, reseating and injecting the replacement. Win-win.
Old 01-16-20, 03:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Think it through

You lost some sealant

There's pretty much no penalty to adding more

Add some more
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-16-20, 03:21 PM
Robert A

How can you know the correct procedure when you don't know what failed and how it failed?

Again, what you're practicing for is something that should be very, very unlikely if you've done everything else right. I'm trying to help you make sure that you're doing everything else right.

Since you don't know what kind of sealant is in the tire, the first thing I'd suggest is replacing it with Orange Seal. Since you want to learn, take the opportunity to do it yourself - you'll get to practice breaking the beads and lifting them over the rim before mopping up the sealant inside. Then you'll get more practice reinstalling, reseating and injecting the replacement. Win-win.
The LBS that repaired the flat said all it needed was more sealant. I've personally inspected the tire since and haven't found any obvious cuts or holes.

I'll check into Orange Seal. Meanwhile, I've reached out to the original wheel builder to see what kind of sealant he used.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll get there.
Old 01-16-20, 06:48 PM
Robert A

WhyFi - I just picked up Orange Seal. Do I need to clean out the old sealant before adding the new? I don't know the type I have, but it is white.
Old 01-16-20, 07:06 PM
WhyFi

WhyFi - I just picked up Orange Seal. Do I need to clean out the old sealant before adding the new? I don't know the type I have, but it is white.
It's probably Stan's, which doesn't seem to work very well at road pressures. Both Stan's and OS are latex sealants, so the mixing shouldn't be an issue (OS has little particles in it that seem to help hold/clog at higher pressures). If there's not too much sealant in there, you can just add. If there's a full dose, I'd soak up the bulk of it, but you don't need to be particular about it.

Did you get the smaller bottle with the little hose for the valve stem? If so, get the tire remounted and the bead reseated, then let the air out, remove the valve core, attach the hose to the stem and then attach the bottle to the hose and inject. Replace the core, reinflate, give it a spin and you should be good to go.
Old 01-16-20, 07:12 PM
Robert A

It's probably Stan's, which doesn't seem to work very well at road pressures. Both Stan's and OS are latex sealants, so the mixing shouldn't be an issue (OS has little particles in it that seem to help hold/clog at higher pressures). If there's not too much sealant in there, you can just add. If there's a full dose, I'd soak up the bulk of it, but you don't need to be particular about it.

Did you get the smaller bottle with the little hose for the valve stem? If so, get the tire remounted and the bead reseated, then let the air out, remove the valve core, attach the hose to the stem and then attach the bottle to the hose and inject. Replace the core, reinflate, give it a spin and you should be good to go.
I got an 8oz ($20) bottle with a little hose for injecting the liquid. At the LBS, the tech showed me how to remove the valve core, and so the tire currently has no air, though it was fully inflated till then. How much liquid do I put in for a 25c GP5000TL?

Also, please explain the above in red? The tire was seated till the air got let out. Do I need to do anything with reseating the tire now?
Old 01-16-20, 08:23 PM
WhyFi

Ah, sorry - you would only have to unseat the bead if you have to soak up/remove the old sealant. If you're just adding more, no, there's no reason to do any of that. Just let the air out, remove the core, inject, replace the core and air up.

For a 25mm tire, I'd probably put in 1.5oz.
Old 01-16-20, 08:29 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts

I am dedicated tubeless on 3 different wheelsets. I've stuck tubes in. Pesky gash that would seal and reseal at random and a bacon slab didn't help and also a tape failure. You can mess with a tape failure forever on the side of the road and think you have it fixed... I have a combination that the tire unseats off the bead on its own if it were to get down close to 0 (opposite problem the OP has). If I ever had an issue with that combination, I'd never get that fixed roadside. I don't know if the OP has things right but a tube is still something that can come up.

Last edited by u235; 01-16-20 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-16-20, 10:54 PM
Robert A

Ah, sorry - you would only have to unseat the bead if you have to soak up/remove the old sealant. If you're just adding more, no, there's no reason to do any of that. Just let the air out, remove the core, inject, replace the core and air up.

For a 25mm tire, I'd probably put in 1.5oz.
Okay, done. I have no idea how much sealant went in, but I know I added some. Tire inflated right up, but with CO2 only, not track pump.

It's nice knowing I can service this stuff.
Likes For Robert A:
Old 01-17-20, 04:59 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
For that matter, you never did find the puncture site, you only mention sealant near the valve stem, which makes me wonder if it was the stem install.
The only time I had an issue with tubeless it was exactly this. It was at the start of a ride. I was riding with a buddy who is a former LBS owner. I was perplexed but he went right to it. And, we went on our way.
Old 01-17-20, 07:05 AM
WhyFi

Okay, done. I have no idea how much sealant went in, but I know I added some. Tire inflated right up, but with CO2 only, not track pump.

It's nice knowing I can service this stuff.
One of the things that I've done with that smaller bottle is to use a Sharpie to make marks roughly quartering the bottle so that I can use those as ~2oz graduations. It can sometimes be hard to see the level, because of all of the bubbles when you shake it, but it helps.

Also, when that bottle gets low, don't buy a new one - keep it and use it for dosing, and buy the bigger refill bottles; they're much cheaper per oz, but don't have the application tube and dip stick.

The dip stick, btw, is convenient to check sealant levels and viscosity in the future. Just make sure that you check your levels when the bike is hanging - if you deflate the tires, remove the cores and rotate the valve stem to the bottom, sealant is likely to push up, out of the stem and all over your floor... Not that I'd make a mistake like that.