Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a bicycle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking for a bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 05:05 PM
Ltmax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a bicycle

Got a budget of 300 GBP
Loooking for mountain bicycle.

For getting to work and back. 4miles ish each way.
At the moment looking at pinnacle kapur 1.

But not sure what to look for when looking specs.
All i really want is easy peddling.
And grippy handles.

Not looking for used.
Old 01-25-20, 09:09 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 975 Posts
If you want easy pedalling, a mountain bike is a poor choice. You would be much happier with something like this: https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ca/pi...-bike-EV339930. Same price, much lighter and easier to pedal on the road
Old 01-25-20, 11:06 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ca/pi...-bike-EV306264

Forget the cheapo budget. This bike looks fantastic.
Plump 650B tires with a 5 spd SA IGH and disc brakes.
I have used the older SA-RD5w. Not the best at steeper hills, but it was FAST and fun.
Old 01-25-20, 11:18 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Agreed about the hybrid. The origin of the "hybrid" is that the bike industry got whalloped by the popularity of the mountain bike, realizing that most people were buying them for riding on pavement. So they came up with a style that was a "hybrid" between a mountain bike and a road bike: The upright bar and somewhat more rugged looking design, but with pavement oriented tires. Since then, mountain bikes have gone in their own direction, with advances in suspension design among other things, that aren't really all that important on pavement.

There's often an argument, "but the roads in my town are so rough." In the northern US, the roads were always rough, and we got around on "regular" bikes just fine. Bikes are a lot less delicate than most people think.
Old 01-25-20, 08:07 PM
Ltmax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Agreed about the hybrid. The origin of the "hybrid" is that the bike industry got whalloped by the popularity of the mountain bike, realizing that most people were buying them for riding on pavement. So they came up with a style that was a "hybrid" between a mountain bike and a road bike: The upright bar and somewhat more rugged looking design, but with pavement oriented tires. Since then, mountain bikes have gone in their own direction, with advances in suspension design among other things, that aren't really all that important on pavement.

There's often an argument, "but the roads in my town are so rough." In the northern US, the roads were always rough, and we got around on "regular" bikes just fine. Bikes are a lot less delicate than most people think.
Thanks for reply I'll start looking into hybrid more. My coworkers have mountain bikes, so they want me to join as well.

How a grippy are tires compared to mountain ones. Quick glance looks like hybrid has not as big tyres. In UK weather is pure crap. 60% is rain. I have fell before on slipary road while turning. Would wider tyres help me?
Old 01-27-20, 08:12 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
If you want easy pedalling, a mountain bike is a poor choice. You would be much happier with something like this: https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ca/pi...-bike-EV339930. Same price, much lighter and easier to pedal on the road
You did just what I was going to do, find the Evans equivalent of a Trek FX type road hybrid. Good job.

I recommend the above bike as well.
Old 01-27-20, 08:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltmax
In UK weather is pure crap. 60% is rain. I have fell before on slipary road while turning. Would wider tyres help me?
Stay with the hybrid, and have them add fenders/mudguards. They'll keep you drier.

If you have fallen while riding, then you had too much speed for the conditions, or your bike handling wasn't right. Generally, you'll have plenty of traction with any road tire. Conditions to be wary of include, any wash-out area with debris such as sand, low friction surfaces (when wet) like metal or wood, and uneven surfaces that will cause your front wheel to lose contact with the road briefly. These are all bad places to execute a turn.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 01-27-20 at 08:47 AM.