Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lynskey or Litespeed? Why?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lynskey or Litespeed? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 03:51 PM
Hulley

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
If I was set on ti, I'd probably get a Moots.

Now that is just Badass!
Old 10-28-10, 04:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
And Lynskey are less expensive then Litespeed.
Old 10-28-10, 05:03 PM
tanguy frame

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 Moots. I got one. It's candy.
Old 10-30-10, 07:26 AM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not either go with Moots, Lynskey, Spectrum (Kellog - founder of Merlin) or even a Company such as Roark.

At the end of the day, ABG is in it for the money, while these smaller builders are in it for the love of the craft. You decide.

The fact that Litespeed now sells carbon frames......kind of a sign they are going to eventually drop Ti altogether. It is just not economical for a large bike manufacturer to make Ti the mainstay, and to invest heavily into it.
Old 10-30-10, 10:01 AM
aloysius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard not to see parallels between what's happened to Litespeed and Lynskey and the whole Schwinn/Waterford thing. I'm sure that these carbon Litespeeds are fine bikes, but does the world really need need more rebadged Taiwanese carbon?
Old 10-30-10, 01:53 PM
Fleabiscuit

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aloysius
It's hard not to see parallels between what's happened to Litespeed and Lynskey and the whole Schwinn/Waterford thing. I'm sure that these carbon Litespeeds are fine bikes, but does the world really need need more rebadged Taiwanese carbon?
At least they have a design that is somewhat innovative. I think they look pretty good, no worse than most of the aero designs of Cervelo, Ridley and Felt. Although I'd get a Lynskey over a Litespeed, I'd still consider Litespeed if I was in the market for a Ti bike.

Okay, Litespeed took shots at the CF mfg's over the years but the market is moving in that direction and they want to capture a piece of it. They designed the CF bike and it's being made in Asia, a situation no different than offerings from C'dale, Specialized, Trek, Ridley, Bianchi...pretty much every non-botique bike company in the US. Heck, even Parlee has some models made in Asia. To say that this makes Litespeed "confused" or whatever the previous poster said is a bit of a stretch. Lots of bike manufacturers offer bikes made from different materials.

The last time I checked, Serotta, IF, Seven, etc., offered bikes made from Ti, CF, Steel, etc. I wouldn't say any of these guys "didn't know what they want to do" or whatever that guy said. These companies make some really nice bikes. I'd gladly own a Litespeed. Their Ti bikes are still made in the US and the last time I checked, they were very well made. The Archon is a sweet looking ride. Easily as cool as anything from Lynskey (and I'm a Lynskey fan).

Just sayin...
Old 10-30-10, 03:03 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Fleabiscuit
At least they have a design that is somewhat innovative. I think they look pretty good, no worse than most of the aero designs of Cervelo, Ridley and Felt. Although I'd get a Lynskey over a Litespeed, I'd still consider Litespeed if I was in the market for a Ti bike.

Okay, Litespeed took shots at the CF mfg's over the years but the market is moving in that direction and they want to capture a piece of it. They designed the CF bike and it's being made in Asia, a situation no different than offerings from C'dale, Specialized, Trek, Ridley, Bianchi...pretty much every non-botique bike company in the US. Heck, even Parlee has some models made in Asia. To say that this makes Litespeed "confused" or whatever the previous poster said is a bit of a stretch. Lots of bike manufacturers offer bikes made from different materials.

The last time I checked, Serotta, IF, Seven, etc., offered bikes made from Ti, CF, Steel, etc. I wouldn't say any of these guys "didn't know what they want to do" or whatever that guy said. These companies make some really nice bikes. I'd gladly own a Litespeed. Their Ti bikes are still made in the US and the last time I checked, they were very well made. The Archon is a sweet looking ride. Easily as cool as anything from Lynskey (and I'm a Lynskey fan).

Just sayin...

Well said
Old 10-30-10, 03:50 PM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VT Biker
Why not either go with Moots, Lynskey, Spectrum (Kellog - founder of Merlin) or even a Company such as Roark.
You need to get your facts straight. First off, Tom Kellogg did not found Merlin. When Merlin first started up, they consulted with Tom to help design the frame. After they were up and running, most design was done by Rob Vandermaark. Tom was then consulted when they did custom frames. I worked with Tom when I had a custom Extralight made. Secondly, when you order a Spectrum Ti bike, it is built to his specs by your friendly welders at Litespeed/Merlin/ABG. He then does his finishing work on the frame and delivers to customer. Unless things have changed since I toured the factory a few years ago, when you get a Spectrum, it is being handled by the same team of welders that do custom Merlin or Litespeed orders. When ABG acquired Merlin, Tom went to the facility to insure that they still met his standards to reamin his Ti vendor. The fact that they met his standards back then and that the relationship still stands speaks to the quality of their work. I'm not saying they are any better or worse than Lynskey, Moots, etc. I'm just trying to set the record straight on the Spectrum/ABG relationship.
Old 10-30-10, 04:40 PM
milliron

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
plus the American Bicycle has a reputation for janking people around on warranty claims.
I had a minor issue with one of my Lynskey mountain bike frames. It happens. Was resovled very quickly. Excellent customer service.

A++, will buy from again.
Old 01-26-20, 09:31 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Old thread but my input is both are good but as some have stated Lynksey simply has nicer details to their bikes while Litespeed plasters on cheap decals that frankly IMO don't look modern or nice. I have a 2018 Litespeed T6 and while it's a great bike the cheap white decals simply don't look great on the frame and I am almost tempted to wipe them off. Secondly some people have had issues with Litespeed claims since they are owned by ASI, and while I have had no claims with Litespeed, I will say their customer service is prompt and at least in the NY Tri-State area they do have a few authorized dealers. What it comes down to for me is geometry and weight. Lynksey frames while great always seem to be heavier than a Litespeed which may or may not matter to you depending on the bike you are targeting but more importantly I am in between a XS and S for Lynksey while Litespeed I can ride most smalls with little to no adjustments.

Either way both great bikes and sad to say still much cheaper than Moots or Seven Cycles
Old 01-26-20, 02:08 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
As soon as the non-compete was over for David Lynsey I ordered a custom frame from his new company around the end of 2005. I believe it is frame #554 . It’s a great bike, the workmanship is fantastic and I still ride it a lot. The titanium frame will probably last forever.

...with spring ‘training wheels’

Old 01-26-20, 06:10 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
As long as we are talking ti, one of my buddies has a Holland. Very different. If you look closely, it is a ti tube with cutouts and a carbon tube inserted into the tube. He says it is a great ride. I dunno, never rode it but he swears by it.

Either way, very different and not everybody has one.

Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 01-26-20, 10:52 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I still ride my '99 Litespeed Tuscany. This was before the buyout and it has David Lynskey's signature on it. I do agree with the cheap labels as mentioned above. When I rebuilt it a couple of years ago I contemplated taking them off because they are scratched on some places.

Last edited by MidTNBrad; 01-26-20 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 08:44 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Interesting thread. Just goes to show that opinions go both directions as I have seen a few threads that state Lynskey has terrible customer service and quality was not up to par.

I have been very happy with my T2 and my dealings with Litespeed (purchase, support, small parts). I have not needed to warrantee anything yet so cannot speak to that.
Old 01-28-20, 07:54 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
Old thread but my input is both are good but as some have stated Lynksey simply has nicer details to their bikes while Litespeed plasters on cheap decals that frankly IMO don't look modern or nice. I have a 2018 Litespeed T6 and while it's a great bike the cheap white decals simply don't look great on the frame and I am almost tempted to wipe them off. Secondly some people have had issues with Litespeed claims since they are owned by ASI, and while I have had no claims with Litespeed, I will say their customer service is prompt and at least in the NY Tri-State area they do have a few authorized dealers. What it comes down to for me is geometry and weight. Lynksey frames while great always seem to be heavier than a Litespeed which may or may not matter to you depending on the bike you are targeting but more importantly I am in between a XS and S for Lynksey while Litespeed I can ride most smalls with little to no adjustments.

Either way both great bikes and sad to say still much cheaper than Moots or Seven Cycles
My 2010 or 11 era Lynskey small is properly light. In the past decade carbon and even aluminum offerings have leap frogged it, but its a 10year old bike at this point. Still very fun and feels competitive on evening club rides.

It predates the OS craze, oversized bb and beer bottle headtubes. I suspect, but have no expertise, that those OS details that are more applicable to carbon, cause construction to balloon in weight. Cause if you look now they don't have any frames below 3lb which is very different than a decade ago. Im sure they are still built well and still on my short list for a burly tourint rig.

Last edited by Menel; 01-28-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-29-20, 08:14 AM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
The Lynskey family started Litespeed and sold it in 1999. I think the people at Lynskey are innovators. They are coming up with new ways of building frames that are unique like the Helix which has twisted triple butted tubes. This design allows for a lighter frame that is stiff. I thought that the twisted tubes were a gimmick but according to the reviews, they actually do work well.

I think the people at Lynskey are much more experienced ti builders and I would trust them more than I would the people at Litespeed.
They also use threaded bottom brackets as opposed to Litespeeed using press fit. No creaks.
Old 01-29-20, 09:02 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Pb_Okole
They also use threaded bottom brackets as opposed to Litespeeed using press fit. No creaks.
My bottom bracket is threaded and Litespeed also offers T47 BB as an option.
Old 02-01-20, 12:37 AM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
My bottom bracket is threaded and Litespeed also offers T47 BB as an option.
Yes, how old is your Litespeed? I rode Litespeeds for years UNTIL they stopped doing threaded bottom brackets and went with press fit. Now ride Lynskey where the models I ride anyway come with threaded bottom brackets by default.
Old 05-10-20, 03:04 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
If you don't know already Lynskey was the original owner and founder of Litespeed. The company that took over has bad customer service, but they still make good bikes, it's just Lynskey pioneered all the methods used by all titanium frame builders today, so when I was deciding on a TI bike I went with Lynskey because they are number 1 in my book.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 05-10-20, 04:20 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Hulley
I hear some (many) people say that Lynskey is far better than Litespeed. Why is that? They are both made in Tennesse, made from the same grade of Ti (I think I remember reading that) and everybody that owns either one loves them.
If you had two frames of identical geometry, one from Litespeed and the other Lynskey, why would the Lynskey be better?
I'm only asking because I honestly dont know and I have an itch for a Ti frame.

Thanks
Steve
road bike action just compared the 2.
go read up.
no down side.more of a money thing and what u like
Old 04-13-21, 02:07 PM
cycology

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
decals

"'99 Litespeed Tuscany. I do agree with the cheap labels as mentioned above. When I rebuilt it a couple of years ago I contemplated taking them off because they are scratched on some places"

I have 2000 Tuscany, decals wearing off, I replaced. People say ti is not as stiff as carbon (true but fine for me, I like comfort.) Friend joked he's Italian racer named Tetrazini. I got decal letters, put that on (you could also do Fettucine for a noodly bike)
People ask, what kind of bike is that?