Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycle license plate

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bicycle license plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 04:37 PM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Bicycle license plate

Does any State,County or Town require a license plate for a bicycle?In NJ I'm not aware of any.Years ago some towns around here required them.The large city cops couldn't be bothered but small towns were known for throwing your bike in the trunk.Leave you standing there,advise you to obtain a plate and pick up your bike at the police station.

So the next question is if a license is required what about out of staters,anyone ever have a problem?
Old 03-24-14, 04:46 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No place I've ever lived.
Old 03-24-14, 05:10 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
A lot of towns used to require a registration sticker - nominal fee of $1 or so. I don't know of any that do now.
When I was a kid you got them from the police station. They supposedly helped to recover stolen bikes, applying for one gave them the opportunity to pass out a safety brochure.

Fun story - about 20 years ago I had a bicycle stolen - reported it to LPS for the insurance including the serial number.

A few weeks later, a cop called me and said he had my bike. Cop was behind a guy on a bike who just sort of fell over. Cop checked to see if he was OK and noticed that the fallen rider's bike had black tape over the brand name decals... signs of a stolen bike. Since the bicycle DIDN'T have the required city registration sticker, an infraction had been committed and that gave the cop reasonable cause to run the serial number; otherwise no infraction, no serial number check, thief would still have my bike.
Old 03-24-14, 06:15 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
^ Nice.

California permits counties and cities to require bicycle licenses for residents' bicycle use within their jx. For obvious reasons, non residents need not have a license. Also by law, the fees collected are used to defray the cost of the licensing program and no more (probably why so few jurisdictions require them).

In times past, Los Angeles required a bicycle license. As a little kid, I remember thinking how cool that was. Now, I would regard it as an intrusive PITA.

Mine looked something like this:

Last edited by Biker395; 03-25-14 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Add pix.
Old 03-24-14, 06:25 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Boston and Cambridge MA, require them only of working messengers. The state law used to allow cities and towns to require it by local ordinance though. This was under the general laws, chapter 85, section 11A. This was repealed in 2008.

This aside, all cities and towns did have voluntary registration, years ago. The plates were green, oval shaped affairs, with the town name on them. These are now collectables in some corners. The Broadway bicycle school (a shop, actually) has several of these hanging in the window. Check this photo out, and you can see some on the wall, just to the left of the chain rings.

Old 03-24-14, 06:29 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I'll register my bicycle when you pry it from my cold, dead hands
Old 03-24-14, 08:05 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
When I was growing up outside of Milwaukee, WI, all cities required them. Nice metal ones about the size of motorcycle plates. We used to hang them from the saddle, but then at some point it became the cool thing to shove them into the spokes on the rear wheel.

Here in Honolulu they are required (stickers). All bike stores must obtain and apply prior to transferring to buyer. Failure to have sticker can result in immediate impoundment. That being said when I moved from the mainland I didn't have a sticker on one bike and never bothered to get one. I was refused entry to a military base once at the gate but that was it. The same sticker is required for mopeds and I think the cops are a little tighter about that.

scott s.
Old 03-24-14, 08:19 PM
mrtuttle04

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My son lives in State College, PA where they require registration stickers. The nice thing about it was the police was able to get his previously stolen bike back to him. It was left sitting in a bike rack at the Penn State campus at the end of the school year. It was weathered and needed work but I was able to recondition it and now my wife rides it.
Old 03-25-14, 07:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Bicycle registration is a can of worms that some city b'crats try to get into effect. Police have more to do these days than chase down little Susie to see if she has a bike license plate. Up against the wall Susie, hands behind your back, we are going to cuff you, and take you off to jail you evil law breaker!!!!!!!! You are a menace to society!!!!!!
Old 03-25-14, 07:55 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
We used to have metal ones in Vancouver back in the '50's. These days, half the bikes on the street are ridden by bums, who probably wouldn't register their (stolen) bikes. Heck, they can't even get anyone to wear helmets here. On the theory that cyclists should contribute something toward all these expensive bike lanes etc., I think they should just have a small levy on bikes and parts at point of sale.
Old 03-25-14, 08:46 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
IN my town there used to be a requirement that you have one (sticker). I've one on my c-dale but not on the other bikes and I don't know if that is still in effect.
Old 03-25-14, 11:00 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
What happens if I, on a trip, ride my bike through a town that requires a plate?
Old 03-27-14, 03:19 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
What happens if I, on a trip, ride my bike through a town that requires a plate?
In Honolulu that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.

scott s.
Old 03-28-14, 10:36 PM
DanWho

Bikes: Actionbent Roadrunner high racer, Redline d660 29er and a Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My town has an unenforced tag law. No one in 10 years has registered a bike but it is still on the books.
Old 03-28-14, 11:17 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by cccorlew
In California at least, only residents of the jurisdiction can be required to have one. So if you're not a resident, no problem. And that makes sense ... otherwise you'd need multiple licenses just to go from one city to another.

Old 03-30-14, 09:08 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
[QUOTE=DiabloScott;16607605]A lot of towns used to require a registration sticker - nominal fee of $1 or so. I don't know of any that do now.
When I was a kid you got them from the police station. They supposedly helped to recover stolen bikes, applying for one gave them the opportunity to pass out a safety brochure.

================================================
My reflective green city sticker from the 80's is caught glowing in this photo of my old Fuji currently undergoing a overhaul after a long lay off. Can't wait to get it back on the road. I always liked the city registration program, not that it ever did much good. The LA sticker is nice !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuji 2.jpg (99.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-30-14, 09:25 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I grew up in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, D.C.. There were only two incorporated "towns" in Prince Georges County (IIRC) at the time; College Park and Bowie. The county police had a voluntary registration program (or maybe it wasn't really enforced). My '75 Super Course still has the sticker on the backside of the seat tube, up near the seat cluster. It is a bit nostalgic for me to look at it and remember how ineffective it was against theft problems. At least they were trying......
Old 03-30-14, 09:32 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
In California at least, only residents of the jurisdiction can be required to have one. So if you're not a resident, no problem. And that makes sense ... otherwise you'd need multiple licenses just to go from one city to another.
I'd be willing to wager a fair penny that none of these would stand up in court if they were challenged because registration of motor vehicles is a state-sanctioned activity. Thus, it seems to me not only illogical, but potentially illegal, for any municipality to treat one lawful vehicle different from another -- that they don't even have authority over in terms of registration.

This issue reminds me in some ways of the beach access brouhahas that you used to have in ritzy coastal areas where residents tried to keep non-residents off the beaches. These have been repeatedly challenged in court, such as recently in Connecticut. And basically, the ruling was while they could prohibit you from parking in a particular area, they had to offer you the right to buy beach passes just like everybody else and charge you a reasonable rate for one.
Old 03-30-14, 09:43 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

No, it's legal ... expressly permitted under the California Vehicle Code:

V C Section 39002 License Requirement

It's uncommon though ... probably because the limitations on how the money collected can be used.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d16_7/vc39001.htm

Old 03-31-14, 12:10 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Small towns all over New England used to have bicycle license plates, and I collected dozens as souvenirs in the sixties and seventies. I don't think they ever enforced the rules strictly, and was never hassled about them when passing through.

These days it's passe, since the cost of administering the programs is higher than they're worth.

I keep hearing about threats to institute new registration rules, but I suspect the enforcement issues shut it down pretty quickly.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-31-14, 08:38 AM
Weatherby

Bikes: Too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
I'll register my bicycle when you pry it from my cold, dead hands
We also need to dial back the number of cogs, why does anyone need more than 6 gears?
Old 04-04-14, 07:38 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Weatherby
We also need to dial back the number of cogs, why does anyone need more than 6 gears?
Okay, I'll admit: I didn't see that one coming!
Old 04-05-14, 01:34 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Florida does not have any statute for licensing bicycles, although it has been tried and always fails. None of the cities, towns or townships that I know of require them either but that is not saying that there aren't some that do.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-05-14, 01:36 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Weatherby
So if you have more than six cogs, is that considered an assault bike?

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-05-14, 01:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
What nobody has mentioned (unless I missed it) is that the bicycle licensing provisions of the past had nothing to do with identifying bad or illegal riding on public roads. It was intended for children and youth segments, and was mainly to recover and return lost and/or bicycles, along with recovered stolen ones (usually found abandoned after they served the one way ride purpose.

In some towns they also linked the plate to a safety education or awareness campaign, with the idea being that having a plate like grown ups' vehicles might encourage children to ride more responsibly.

Times and life were different 50-70 years ago, than they are now.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.