Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do I need a modern bike?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do I need a modern bike?

Old 10-04-18, 07:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Except, you CAN buy speed.
And some others agree.

https://youtu.be/Wdb7KEc7xJI

https://youtu.be/4TSyGLv-evM
Old 10-05-18, 09:50 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I've been riding a 1984 Lotus Unique and a 1987 Centurion Ironman. I'm 64 years old and consider myself in pretty good shape.
I've been riding 3 or 4 months and am slowly getting faster. I have a 12 mile fairly flat loop I ride and have increased my average
speed riding hard from 13 mph to 16.5 mph then read about older guys riding 50 miles at 20 mph. Now I can probably hit 20-25mph
for a very short distance but can't imagine riding 50 miles at that speed.
So would a newer bike help me ride faster?
This looks like a bit of a bar fight.

Yes, and it is material but not must faster. Specialized built a wind tunnel where I used to live in NorCal and many of my racing friends raced for Specialized and tested in the tunnel. I have done aero testing of equipment and my results match what is shown by specialized. The video below shows how clothing, helmet, wheels and frame can improve performance. Optimizing all 4 items resulted in saving 3 minutes over 26 miles. Improving my time in a 40K ITT by 3 minutes is huge and would represent years of work on the engine.

Unfortunately, 3 minutes faster out of a typical hour time for an excellent 40K is not much to most people. Imagine, you and I are out riding the same bike, we are the same size and position on the bike and you have the physiology and training that enables you to arrive at the destination 3 minutes ahead of me in 26 miles. You will have enough time to park your bike, take off your helmet and order your coffee. I show up and join you. 3 minutes is nothing in recreational cycling.

Now let's assume you and I want to ride side by side and chat. I am in big trouble. There is no way that I can ride with you side by side. I cannot generate enough sustained force on the pedals unless you slow down maybe 1 mph +/-. You will not be as physiologically challenged as me on the ride.

If we want to ride together, I could probably ride behind you in your draft and we could arrive at the coffee shop at the same time both challenged about the same.

I like to ride new modern bikes that makes me feel good. If I feel great on the bike, I will want to ride longer and more often which will improve the engine as well. Have fun and good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-05-18 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 12:19 AM
zedpilot

Bikes: Ran's V-Rex, Day6 Patriot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bikes are great, But not mandatory for a work out.
If you are after fitness, An old bike works fine as it's likely heavier and will make you work harder. I have never left my house and saw a green flag being waved nor heard a starter pistol go off.
Old 10-13-18, 03:18 AM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot321
I am in the same quandary. I really like my old Cannondale, but am now jonesing for more than a six speed cassette (freewheel), and even a generation or two older than current stuff would be a big upgrade. However, I don't think I will get much more speed, and that's not really my objective. I think I will just find the experience more rewarding with newer, smoother, lighter stuff. I will test ride a carbon, but I may stick with AL as I do like it.
you are right on with your thoughts .i have a 1989 cannondale was a six speed made it a seven speed a really nice bike and fast too so thought if I bought . A new bike with di2 shifting I would be alot faster well after almost 5000 grand later not much faster at all but a big improvement on road feel and shifting down tube shifting
is a chore as for speed think the cannondale is faster on descents but the lighter carbon bmc climbs much better
Old 10-13-18, 04:29 AM
FullSpeedAgain

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can afford it go for it, or do you want to die proud of not having tried a nice bike as you don't deserve it or something?
Old 10-13-18, 10:11 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Spend the money on the bike that made you smile the instant you got on it (it'll probably be CF and have Di2, and hydro disc brakes). The speed will follow. Oh, and aerobars do help, a lot.
Old 10-13-18, 11:17 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ahhh ... this thread will never get to 20 pages ... you're all too mature in here.
What does maturity of BF readers/contributors have to do with how long any thread lasts? Anything causal that I may have missed? Just wondering from a "hypothesis testing" perspective...
Old 10-13-18, 12:54 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Worry less, ride more. If you want a new bike, get one, but if you've only been riding a few months, I'd work on the motor first. Unless you plan to compete, stop comparing yourself with other riders, some of whom may have been training for several decades.
Old 10-14-18, 12:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
As a guy in a bike shop I would not talk you out of it..

But the formula for doing that..
aerodynamic drag force is proportional to the square of the speed..
Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...stance.943751/

so to go faster you have to work harder ,
or wheel suck behind someone who is faster.

Or buy a fully aerodynamic streamlined Velomobile..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-14-18 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-11-18, 09:54 AM
jguit

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I bought a modern bike, after years of being happy with my 89 Miyata 914, literally within one ride I was chastising myself for waiting so long. I still love my Miyata but the two bike offer a very different experience and having both ultimately leads to me riding more...which is never a bad thing.
Old 11-11-18, 12:38 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Back some three decades or more, Bicycling! magazine tested a Klein (the superbike of its day) and a nice little plebeian road bike the same month. They raved about the Klein. Then somebody on staff got the idea to swap the wheels on the two bikes. The staff suddenly loved the modest bike and the Klein became something of a consensus meh.

Of course thanks to wider OLDs and integrated cogsets/deraileurs/shifters/chains, it's not trivial to swap in a pair of Zipp 858s to an 80s/90s bike.
Old 11-11-18, 01:09 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ahhh ... this thread will never get to 20 pages ... you're all too mature in here.
I bet you also like to spit into the wind and tug at Superman’s cape.
Old 11-11-18, 01:17 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
There’s enough of a difference between a steel with (maybe) downtube index shifting ?, to a carbon with brake-shifter shifting, to notice and enjoy the difference. Move to electronic shifting and even more a difference. A current bike with 11 cogs will likely offer closer gearing then a 6 or 7 speed would have.

If you enjoy the ride of the new, it’s often makes you want to ride more, that in turn develops fitness which results in an increase in speed. I find I ride harder having moved to Di2 electronic, as I shift more often thus can maintain cadence. So my avg. spd. is a bit higher this year.
I agree with you on the CF vs. steel. I own and ride four bikes, two CF and two steel. On long, flattish rides, there is very little difference (to me) between steel and CF. When the road turns up and the climbing begins, the CF (again to me) make a huge difference.

I hope this helps.

In any event, at your age, I would say get a new bike, enjoy it and don’t look back. I am 62 and that’s my mantra.
Old 11-11-18, 08:46 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
We can guess what factors other than the rider will make a difference and to what degree. First, we go to the hour record held by the strongest, fastest cyclist, ever...

In 1972, in Mexico City, at an altitude of 2,300m (7,550 ft) Eddy Merckx set a Hour Record of 49.431 km (30.715 mi) that stood for 12 years.
If we look at the current record, we then understand -- at least the minimum amount -- that improved technology may be expected to contribute to improved performance. The current hour record (which is now called, "best human effort," forever leaving best hour record to Eddie) is... 51.151 km by Francesco Moser using disc wheels and wearing a skin suit.

So, that's a minimum improvement due to use of advanced technology of at least, ~3.5%