Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2020 Eroica California registration early rate

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 09:54 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,794 Times in 2,281 Posts

Just got the mea culpa email. $90 early reg.
Old 05-07-19, 09:55 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

From the email:

On behalf of the organizers, we thank you for supporting the 5th edition of Eroica California. We would also like to thank the hundreds of you who took part in the post-event survey and provided us with invaluable information about your event experience.

We read each of your answers carefully and we have a clear mandate to make improvements to one or more aspects of the event. In particular, we understand that the rest stops for the NOVA riders on Saturday and the short course riders on Sunday were not up to your expectations. But there were other issues, and we will address these in the upcoming months.

We began this year with a new venue and a new team, and despite months of planning, there were lapses in coordination which left some checkpoints overstocked and others lacking what was needed. This is for us unacceptable and we are deeply sorry for anyone who did not get enough to eat or drink. Those of you who have attended L’Eroica in Tuscany, or any other Eroica event, know that we strive to maintain the highest standards in regards to checkpoints, standards we set ourselves over the past 23 years. The satisfaction of the Eroica Community is, as always, our highest priority, and the Eroica feed stop should always be a positive and memorable experience.

Like most of you, we are convinced that we have found a great new home in Cambria, but we are also aware that some riders and vendors had issues with the venue location and set up. We are researching moving the festival to another location closer in town, but whatever the solution, we promise to make Eroica California 2020 the best edition yet.

That being said, the 6th Edition of Eroica California will be back in Cambria on the 4th and 5th of April 2020. As a sign of good faith, we are offering the opportunity to all 2019 attendees to register now until June 6th at a very special rate.

$90 for NOVA or Classic
$150 for the NOVA and Classic combined ticket
Old 05-07-19, 09:55 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

@davester, time to start planning that Marinica to Eroica ride...
Old 05-07-19, 10:43 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
I'm glad that they fessed up wrt ALL the problems. I'm going for the Combined Ticket. Different kind of fun to do the course with granny gears, dual pivots, and clipless pedals. It is very likely that 2020 will be very well run.
Old 05-07-19, 10:56 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,281 Times in 1,278 Posts
I just got the email as well. Killer deal for super early registration. I am glad they are going to address the pitfalls of last year and I am already looking forward to it! You there Rich? Joe
Old 05-07-19, 12:07 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I don't know this far in advance if I'll actually be able to go, but I'm signed up anyway.
Long route again for me, and maybe this time around I'll get a bike ready early enough to test ride it before the morning of.
Old 05-07-19, 05:00 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
This email, plus a package I received in the mail last week have convinced me that the organizers are taking the Cambria feedback serious, and are making every effort to ensure the event is a success. I'll be back in 2020, for sure!

Last week I came home to a mailing tube on my doorstep and inside were two Eroica CA 2019 posters. A very nice unexpected gesture on their part!
Old 05-07-19, 05:51 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I just got the email as well. Killer deal for super early registration. I am glad they are going to address the pitfalls of last year and I am already looking forward to it! You there Rich? Joe
Yes, if I can get convince their PITA new on-line registration system to recognize my existence . . . .
Old 05-07-19, 11:24 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
What’s their plan for the road surfaces?
Old 05-08-19, 01:16 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Bigger, better tires on our end.
Old 05-08-19, 06:04 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
The early registration must be for previous entrants as I cannot register until June 6th.
Old 05-08-19, 08:55 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
I'm in for the Combined.
Luckily, my iPhone knew how to access myeroica and since I did the 2019 ride I got the deal. @bikingshearer try typing your "other" name. If I use Jeffrey instead of Jeff, it won't work.
Old 05-08-19, 09:05 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 87 Posts
I'm interested in this event. How can I get info and registration procedure? Thanks
Old 05-08-19, 09:14 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
No email for me, no poster, but I'm glad they may be stepping up to improve the event. The dusty cow pasture left a lot to be desired. My wife has mobility issues, and didn't even try to navigate the lumpy pasture. Luckily (?) there were easier access shopping opportunities in town for her. I would have liked a poster too, but early Saturday morning, was told they were all gone. Still, a great event. It's all about the bikes and the people, hopefully it continues, with or without funky management. Looking forward to 2020.
Old 05-08-19, 09:17 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I'm interested in this event. How can I get info and registration procedure? Thanks
Google "Eroica CA". Good luck on registration. It was my third event, and the registration this year was way harder than in years past. Great event though.
Old 05-08-19, 04:23 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I talked to a lot of people about 2019. Almost all of them said they didn't like the pre-dawn start. The dinner was a disaster. The food at the stops was sub-par, no Mexican Coke at the top of Cypress, no free beer at the end and no medal for finishing. Pretty much to a person, however, they all said they'd return.

In order of importance:
1. People
2. The route
3. The bikes
4. The event

2 and 3 can be switched around, depending on the person.

I'm in for 2020, and starting now to pimp a credit card tour from SF Bay Area to Cambria the week before.
Old 05-08-19, 04:40 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
In order of importance:
1. People
2. The route
3. The bikes
4. The event
We'll have to agree to disagree.

1. People
2. Food
3. Bikes
4. Route
Old 05-08-19, 04:48 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by iab
We'll have to agree to disagree.

1. People
2. Food
3. Bikes
4. Route
Yeah, I think food/event are close enough to being the same. I respect your opinion, but note that we agree on the most important thing: the people. I fixed the food thing in a way by renting out il Palazzo degli Eroi, and rolling our own. That didn't help the food on the ride, but we had a ton of great food right after to share with anybody that wanted to come by. Spaghetti with tomato sauce, no matter how well made just ain't very heroic. Nor are $7 beers.
Old 05-08-19, 04:51 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Spaghetti with tomato sauce, no matter how well made just ain't very heroic.
I got linguine and marinara sauce. It was pretty good. I don't blame you for being disappointed if they gave you spaghetti with tomato sauce.
Old 05-08-19, 04:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I passed, this was waiting for me at il Palazzo:

Old 05-08-19, 07:40 PM
iab

Spaghetti with tomato sauce, no matter how well made just ain't very heroic.
You really need to try a truly great gravy. I do agree you ain't getting it in a jar from the market.

The tacos look great.
Old 05-08-19, 07:45 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by iab
You really need to try a truly great gravy. I do agree you ain't getting it in a jar from the market.

The tacos look great.
I hear that the sauce was very good. But as a son of a a son of an Italian immigrant, good marina is a birthright. If you can't make a good one from scratch, well, you've seen the prison scene in Goodfellas, right? It ain't that hard if you pay attention to the details.
Old 05-09-19, 02:51 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Likely much more of the same, maybe some rain and mud, more rutted roads, and sharper gravel thrown in just for you.

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
The early registration must be for previous entrants as I cannot register until June 6th.
Yes, the special rate is just for 2019 attendees as noted in Gugie's quoted email:

"That being said, the 6th Edition of Eroica California will be back in Cambria on the 4th and 5th of April 2020. As a sign of good faith, we are offering the opportunity to all 2019 attendees to register now until June 6th at a very special rate."

$90 for NOVA or Classic
$150 for the NOVA and Classic combined ticket

Still, the regular early bird rate of $130 is still a good deal and will open soon enough as you mentioned. If you have not been before, I think you will enjoy it immensely. Hope to see you there.

I talked to a lot of people about 2019. Almost all of them said they didn't like the pre-dawn start. The dinner was a disaster. The food at the stops was sub-par, no Mexican Coke at the top of Cypress, no free beer at the end and no medal for finishing. Pretty much to a person, however, they all said they'd return.

In order of importance:
1. People
2. The route
3. The bikes
4. The event

2 and 3 can be switched around, depending on the person.

I'm in for 2020, and starting now to pimp a credit card tour from SF Bay Area to Cambria the week before.
Gugie, personally, I needed every bit of time on the course to finish so starting at 6:45am with the 82 Scalatore riders helped me. I was out there riding the 75 mile Santa Lucia route at my own pace and finished at 5:40pm. IMO, it was pretty interesting to start out in the dark, ride Highway 1 with lights, and then a mile or two in heavy fog (hearing and then getting passed by cars you could barely see (and them seeing us) was a little unnerving), and then watching the sun rise over the mountains as we headed towards Cayucos was pretty neat. The coolness of the morning was pretty refreshing, IMO.

I thought the dinner was a very good meal, cramped seating though (could have been spaced better) and yes, a bad mixup regarding turning away paid reservations due to lack of sufficient seating / ticket / whatever mixup happened. I will be working with some folks to see about addressing that. As for the Mexican Coke, I didn't expect that because both Santa Rita and Cypress summit stops were clearly stated as water stops only, and I brought sufficient electrolyte mixes to work with the 5-6 liters of water I drank through the ride plus food stops.

Yes, I will be coming back as will Ben, my BIL whom you met, and I've already registered. I think you need to upgrade the Palazzo though. See you there!
Old 05-09-19, 05:04 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
If you have not been before, I think you will enjoy it immensely. Hope to see you there.
Thank you. It is going to be my 50th birthday present to myself. I have a 5200 KM drive one way and will be doing alot of sight seeing on the way back along Route 66 and the other touristy spots. This winter I built a bike specially for this ride in 2020 and already have the time booked off work. Now I will just have to invest in some wool cycling garb.
Old 05-09-19, 04:19 PM
iab

I hear that the sauce was very good. But as a son of a a son of an Italian immigrant, good marina is a birthright. If you can't make a good one from scratch, well, you've seen the prison scene in Goodfellas, right? It ain't that hard if you pay attention to the details.
Maybe we're saying the same thing, but for me, gravy =/= marinara.

Gravy takes a good portion of the day. Marinara is quick. Gravy is complex. Marinara is simple.

I'm not saying you can't have a good marinara, but it isn't the same as gravy.

I wasn't at Eroica and can't comment on what they used. But as you probably know, a great gravy can create a great meal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.