Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The challenge of Gatorade(etc) powder

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-06-19, 05:30 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts

I find I do a lot better on long rides in hot weather if I mix gatorade powder (and often also an electrolyte tablet) into my water.

Obviously, one can buy that or its competitors premixed at any convenience store along the ride, or mix it at home, but a lot of the point is to be able to bring the powder to add when refilling bottles mid-ride.

But what's a good way to transport a supply of the stuff for an all-day ride?

I tried putting it in the small "snack size" sandwich bags, but even those are still really hard to shake into a bottle without spilling.

Having had a tub absorb some moisture over the winter and clump, I though to try doing that intentionally by adding some water to the bag, but was careless and got too much - so I added more powder thinking to make a double refill, but all I ended up with was a gooey mess that was even harder to get out of the bag.

I feel like there should be some way to wrap the stuff in waxed paper with twisted ends or something, and come up with a solution I can just tear open and dump into the bottle.

In theory it is sold in pre-measured packets, but the only place I've ever seen that is a metal shop catalog...
Old 06-06-19, 05:51 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I'll bet there is something in the backpacking world that would work pretty well.

https://www.rei.com/c/small-containers

Last edited by 88Tempo; 06-06-19 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 06:33 PM
insignia100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 47 Posts
You can get individual Gatorade powder packets. They are pricier than the tubs of powder, of course, but they otherwise fit your requirements. If you don't need the sugar from the Gatorade, I actually prefer the packets of Propel.

You may also try some heavier duty baggies like these: https://www.amazon.com/Plymor-Heavy-...gateway&sr=8-2
Old 06-06-19, 06:48 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 261 Posts
I use Emergen-C packets. Gatorade has to much sugar and not enough of the right stuff.
Old 06-06-19, 06:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Use old yet cleaned rx containers. Holds just enough for a few servings & are reusable. Hand wash only.
Old 06-06-19, 07:02 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
This is why i like NUUN because it comes in plastic tubes that are easy to carry. Its my go to drink mix
Old 06-06-19, 07:15 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by sdmc530
This is why i like NUUN because it comes in plastic tubes that are easy to carry. Its my go to drink mix
Oh, I live by that stuff. But for the key part of the day I end up with both one of those for the electrolytes and minerals, and gatorade for the sugar and perhaps flavor.

Maybe I should just buy sugar cubes to augment the nuun?

There's no small irony in eating healthy all week and then running on sugar for a ride, but I've found I do far better when I drink it, and in recent rides eat a pair of sandwiches by halves (wrap them by halves in waxed paper then re-pair in a baggy, toss in the freezer overnight) through the morning and early afternoon, than when I wait until a late afternoon lunch stop and try to subsist on cliff bars.

I actually experimented with using an empty nuun tube to hold gatorade powder; I was sawing off the dessicant thingy in the cap with a steak knife but not getting what felt like a food-grade result, maybe I should just leave it, or just clip off that web-spring. I'm at the point distance and duration wise where I'd prefer to head out with powder to make up 3-4 liters, because I'm typically out until dusk or later. Though I do find if I started well that late in a ride I can cut back to just nuun, and eventually just water.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-06-19 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 07:23 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Rick
I use Emergen-C packets. Gatorade has to much sugar and not enough of the right stuff.
I've contemplated those, especially the time I got to the first rest stop and discovered that I'd left my baggy off stuff on the kitchen table - ended up perusing a CVS vitamin aisle, those looked the closest but wasn't really sure what 5x or 6x a vitamin C megadose would do. Ended up with gatorade and cliff bars from there, and stopping at a bike shop around mile 31 for nuun.

Ironically pharmacies here in NYC often have bananas (to a depressing degree they can be people's food store, but at least they've realized that and tried to fill the mission); those in the suburbs don't. I really struck out on finding a consumer market potassium source.
Old 06-06-19, 07:26 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by 88Tempo
I'll bet there is something in the backpacking world that would work pretty well.

https://www.rei.com/c/small-containers
I bought something similar at the Container Store for that purpose, I should figure out where it got it and perhaps complete the process of washing it to the point I'm willing to use it for food. There is a downside of course to durable containers, in that the pack doesn't get any smaller as the ride progresses.
Old 06-06-19, 07:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/BRIDGOR-Porta.../dp/B07S16Y3FX

BRIDGOR Outdoor Portable Collapsible Food Grade Silicone Bowls with Lids
Old 06-06-19, 07:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A couple of Nuun tabs in a zip lock bag.

Gu and blocks for sugar.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 06-06-19, 08:04 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
wasn't really sure what 5x or 6x a vitamin C megadose would do.
Answer: Absolutely nothing. The stuff is excreted so efficiently that there's a hard ceiling on the plasma concentration you can get from taking it orally.
Old 06-06-19, 08:08 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Answer: Absolutely nothing. The stuff is excreted so efficiently that there's a hard ceiling on the plasma concentration you can get from taking it orally.
Yeah, the "expensive urine" summary stuck in my mind, still, it seems a bit much.

But if I ever get really stuck EmergenC might be on the list of options.
Old 06-06-19, 08:42 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
You could always make a batch of Gatorade syrup and then carry it in a little bottle. I make chocolate syrup from sugar and cocoa powder. Don't see why it wouldn't work with gatorade powder.
Old 06-06-19, 09:10 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by gregf83
You could always make a batch of Gatorade syrup and then carry it in a little bottle. I make chocolate syrup from sugar and cocoa powder. Don't see why it wouldn't work with gatorade powder.
I've thought of this, but have my doubts from watching solids survive a couple of miles jostling in the bottle how much more concentrated it could be and still dissolve; admit I haven't tried stirring it in with heat. I know soda syrup is insanely concentrated, if there's a soda fountain version I could get a bottle of that would be perfect.
Old 06-06-19, 09:38 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha

My doctor says the same thing. Mega doses of Vit. C will probably give you stomach cramps and all that goes with that and nausea as well but no seriously bad injuries will occur with a C overdose
Old 06-06-19, 10:12 PM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
ZipFizz!

Flavored powders that easily mix with water. It comes in small plastic-wrapped tubes. Available through Amazon, Sam's Club & Costco. Been using the stuff for years.

Old 06-06-19, 10:36 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 261 Posts
My doctor says the same thing. Mega doses of Vit. C will probably give you stomach cramps and all that goes with that and nausea as well but no seriously bad injuries will occur with a C overdose
I looked this up and side effects and overdose are extremely rare. Water intoxication is probably more likely. When I lived in Florida female triathletes were dying from water intoxication and alligator attacks.
Old 06-07-19, 04:53 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Just about any retailer will carry small plastic containers. Grocery, dollar, target, Wally, craft, outdoor.

https://www.dollartree.com/sure-fres...t-packs/207072

You want the pack to get smaller? https://www.rei.com/product/696007/c...s-package-of-2
Old 06-07-19, 05:18 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
with a bit of googling you can find some company or amazon/ebay seller selling plastic test tubes with screw on caps. seems like ideal solution to me. i have 2 at home that came filled with chocolate from one of our suppliers at work.

Due to the whole living in netherlands i tend to use it to put in a pre-rolled joint or 2 for any long bike rides.
Old 06-07-19, 05:37 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts
I use the snack bags that are tall and skinny. The top opening fits easily into my water bottle so that I don't make a mess when transferring the powder:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...count/32250860
Old 06-07-19, 06:03 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
There's no small irony in eating healthy all week and then running on sugar for a ride, but I've found I do far better when I drink it,...
Not really. You aren't subsisting on it. Hard exercise isn't the same as sitting on a couch (or not hard exercise).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-07-19, 07:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Purpose made food-grade zipper bags.. This linked size would hold the correct amount of Gatorade powder for one serving of standard bike water bottle. I use a smaller version (2"x3") to hold a couple Nuun tablets.

https://www.amazon.com/Plymor-Heavy-...s%2C144&sr=8-3
Old 06-07-19, 07:19 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
We use the Sqwinchers from Amazon, assorted flavors, individual packets.
Old 06-07-19, 07:25 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
I use the snack bags that are tall and skinny. The top opening fits easily into my water bottle so that I don't make a mess when transferring the powder:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...count/32250860
Thanks, that's more like what I'm looking for! Mine are the same shape but open on the long side, which works out horribly.

Not having a nearby Walmart, do I want to carry a cable lock and stop when my distance ride goes past one? Almost but I think there might be another near the destination where I'm getting met.

"portion" seems to be the key search term online, but the prices there are a bit extreme.

Maybe for the time being I should keep my first aid scissors more accessible and just cut off the end, nearing the end of the current box of wrong opening ones anyway.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-07-19 at 07:52 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.