Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have an issue with people walking a dog?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else have an issue with people walking a dog?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 04:04 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

Dogs must be under control when it public. If you can't control them, keep them on private property away from the public. For the record, all dogs can be trained.And what if he was in a race?
A quick look at this tends to say it only apply's in 2 states and even those they say "unless held properly in leash" ..... so there's a whole argument in itself as to whether a flexi lead would be considered in law as "held properly in leash" or not .... now I'm not saying that's the way it should be or casting judgement on one side or the other ... just pointing out what the law seems to infer.
https://www.animallaw.info/topic/tab...dog-leash-laws

I not convinced all dogs can be trained either, or at least certainly not to be 100% reliable.

We've just taken ownership of a dog that was withdrawn from training as an assistance dog for the disabled because she was too "dog responsive". During her training she was attached to a wheel chair in a high street, heard another dog bark in the distance and was off in hot pursuit with the wheelchair still attached.

Over many years the charity have a consistent average of 1 in 4 dogs that don't make it through the training so if as you say "all dogs can be trained" they wouldn't have any that fail .... especially as the associated cost of the failures makes up an awfully high percentage of the charity's overall costs.
Old 09-30-19, 05:01 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
The problem i find with the flexi-leash is when the dog is far ahead of the owner. The path is some 6ft wide, the dog is 15-20ft ahead. There is absolutely nothing the owner can do to stop the dog putting a clothes-line across the path. They're frantically reigning the dog in less than 1ft at a time...

Of course they apologise, but i say nothing. Their apology isn't accepted, because they do it all the time and it'll just happen to the next cyclist.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 09-30-19, 07:11 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
A quick look at this tends to say it only apply's in 2 states and even those they say "unless held properly in leash" ..... so there's a whole argument in itself as to whether a flexi lead would be considered in law as "held properly in leash" or not .... now I'm not saying that's the way it should be or casting judgement on one side or the other ... just pointing out what the law seems to infer.
https://www.animallaw.info/topic/tab...dog-leash-laws

I not convinced all dogs can be trained either, or at least certainly not to be 100% reliable.

We've just taken ownership of a dog that was withdrawn from training as an assistance dog for the disabled because she was too "dog responsive". During her training she was attached to a wheel chair in a high street, heard another dog bark in the distance and was off in hot pursuit with the wheelchair still attached.

Over many years the charity have a consistent average of 1 in 4 dogs that don't make it through the training so if as you say "all dogs can be trained" they wouldn't have any that fail .... especially as the associated cost of the failures makes up an awfully high percentage of the charity's overall costs.
The City I live in has a 6' leash law. Extendo-leashes are not legal or enforced. The users would lose in a Court Room.
Old 10-01-19, 07:59 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
In general we're living in a modern age of "entitled dog owner culture". Fido is my child so I take it everywhere and they're allowed to do anything.

Dogs are amazing. People suck.

I was fine with the dog thing outside a breweries. But then a few weeks in a row a pair of dogs "introducing" each other get into a minute or two barking screaming tussle all around people's legs trying to enjoy their beers and human conversation. Not a fight, but a ton of raucous commotion.

Anytime I use a greenway running, walking, or going slow on the bike as a cut-thru.........there's a dog problem. Flexy leash, off leash, owner with headphones not paying attention, etc.........

I've had this interaction more than
"Could you leash your dog please, that could cause an incident?"
"**** you! Blah blah blah"
"Uhm, my child is riding their bike right behind me. So number one, language, and two......it's the law......and three, your dog causes an incident with my kids and I'll get a lawyer to own your ass".
Old 10-01-19, 09:09 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
In general we're living in a modern age of "entitled dog owner culture". Fido is my child so I take it everywhere and they're allowed to do anything.

Dogs are amazing. People suck.

I was fine with the dog thing outside a breweries. But then a few weeks in a row a pair of dogs "introducing" each other get into a minute or two barking screaming tussle all around people's legs trying to enjoy their beers and human conversation. Not a fight, but a ton of raucous commotion.

Anytime I use a greenway running, walking, or going slow on the bike as a cut-thru.........there's a dog problem. Flexy leash, off leash, owner with headphones not paying attention, etc.........

I've had this interaction more than
"Could you leash your dog please, that could cause an incident?"
"**** you! Blah blah blah"
"Uhm, my child is riding their bike right behind me. So number one, language, and two......it's the law......and three, your dog causes an incident with my kids and I'll get a lawyer to own your ass".
I have no problem with people believing that their dog is human as long as they don't sit them at the table next to me. Chairs are for people, and dogs eat on the ground.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 10-01-19, 09:19 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
If people want their dogs to have the same rights as a person, they need to have the same responsibilities too. I say "game, on".

Old 10-02-19, 02:24 AM
LJ Seals

Bikes: 2019 Fuji SL 2.3 Disc, 2016 Fuji Roubaix 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually it was a woman walking her dog on a Flexi leash who had an issue with me and didn't believe that it's legal to ride bicycle on a sidewalk in La Jolla which is in the City of San Diego.

Although I don't normally ride on the sidewalk, there is one location in La Jolla where I often do this to avoid slowing down the motorists behind me. You can see that this is an uphill section of Torrey Pines Road between Coast Walk and Prospect Place with a long barricade placed over the right side of the road. According to my Garmin History my speed was 6 to 8 mph so it took me 1 minute to travel 0.12 mile on this sidewalk. Although cyclists can use the right-turn lane, this lane is not wide enough to accommodate a bicycle and a car side-by-side so that a cyclist going uphill at this speed will force the motorists who want to turn right to either follow at 6 to 8 mph or go into the next lane and cut across the solid white line back into the right-turn lane.

If I see a pedestrian coming in the opposite direction I would normally put one foot down or put my right hand on the fence and wait for them to walk by. However, on this occasion the pedestrian chose to move to an open space next to the sidewalk and waited for me to pass so I thought she was trying to be nice to me :-)

In the City of San Diego, bicycle riding is allowed on sidewalks except in business districts such as the one shown in the map below.

La Jolla Business District

Torrey Pines Road between Coast Walk and Prospect Place

San Diego County Bicycle Coalition FAQs - Can I ride on the sidewalk ?

Sometimes we just can't please everybody :-)

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-02-19 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 02:55 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by LJ Seals
Actually it was a woman walking her dog on a Flexi leash who had an issue with me and didn't believe that it's legal to ride bicycle on a sidewalk in La Jolla which is in the City of San Diego.

Although I don't normally ride on the sidewalk, there is one location in La Jolla where I often do this to avoid slowing down the motorists behind me. You can see that this is an uphill section of Torrey Pines Road between Coast Walk and Prospect Place with a long barricade placed over the right side of the road. According to my Garmin History my speed was 6 to 8 mph so it took me 1 minute to travel 0.12 mile on this sidewalk. Although cyclists can use the right-turn lane, this lane is not wide enough to accommodate a bicycle and a car side-by-side so that a cyclist going uphill at this speed will force the motorists who want to turn right to either follow at 6 to 8 mph or go into the next lane and cut across the solid white line back into the right-turn lane.

If I see a pedestrian coming in the opposite direction I would normally put one foot down or put my right hand on the fence and wait for them to walk by. However, on this occasion the pedestrian chose to move to an open space next to the sidewalk and waited for me to pass so I thought she was trying to be nice to me :-)

In the City of San Diego, bicycle riding is allowed on sidewalks except in business districts such as the one shown in the map below.

You can ride on any sidewalk except where its prohibited -- generally posted. Even so, sidewalks are for pedestrians, so they ALWAYS have the right of way. A cyclist must yield to a pedestrian.

Old 10-02-19, 06:34 AM
Witterings

I couldn't believe JUST how mad she was .... I mean the sheer tirade of relentless abuse that spewed from her mouth ... OOOOhhh and the language she used .... despicable/

Your precious feelings must have been really hurt after being subjected to such a verbal onslaught ... did you have to go home and lie down for a while to get over it??

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-02-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 07:07 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

I see a bike lane on the other side of those jersey barriers. What's wrong with using it? Sometimes you just can't please everybody.

Old 10-02-19, 07:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Although I don't normally ride on the sidewalk, there is one location in La Jolla where I often do this to avoid slowing down the motorists behind me.

It may be legal, but you sure are inconveniencing pedestrians more than you would inconvenience drivers approaching a stop light to take a turn. The turn lane is very clearly marked for through bicycle traffic. That's just a dumb reason to take to the very narrow sidewalk, the cars in the turn lane are likely going to be slowing anyway even if there is no bike there.

Oh, and shame on you for posting a video of this woman just to get the last word in on an argument. She was wrong about a weird law, so what? You were wrong not to yield, which in this case would clearly require you to come to a full stop.
Old 10-02-19, 09:09 AM
Witterings

I didn't pick up on it initially it was only after Daniel4 pointed it out but there is a bicycle lane adjacent to the sidewalk with clear markings in the right hand turn lane, the link you provided clearly says "Riding on sidewalks not allowed if there is an adjacent bike lane or bike path" so it now appears that you were totally in the wrong and if anyone seemed mad or rude in the video .... I'd probably say it was you.

Where I so often complain about some cyclists attitudes it's the minority that are rude, selfish and arrogant that give the rest of us a bad name.
Old 10-02-19, 09:34 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I live in La Jolla and ride that section of road occasionally. I ride on the road and that section of road generally has a lot of car traffic but I have not had any problems taking the lane provided for cyclists and motorists are very accommodating.

With respect to the rules, each city and the county has their own. As stated, "riding on sidewalks not allowed if there is an adjacent bike lane or bike path: Solana Beach"

La Jolla would fall under San Diego and note that it is, Solana Beach about 12 miles north of LJ, where riding on the sidewalk is not allowed if there is a bike lane.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-02-19, 10:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Hey, dogs did not ask for any of this.
Old 10-02-19, 10:56 AM
LJ Seals

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I live in La Jolla and ride that section of road occasionally. I ride on the road and that section of road generally has a lot of car traffic but I have not had any problems taking the lane provided for cyclists and motorists are very accommodating.

With respect to the rules, each city and the county has their own. As stated, "riding on sidewalks not allowed if there is an adjacent bike lane or bike path: Solana Beach"

La Jolla would fall under San Diego and note that it is, Solana Beach about 12 miles north of LJ, where riding on the sidewalk is not allowed if there is a bike lane.
I actually do it both ways.

On this occasion there was a slower cyclist in front of me and I wasn't tired so I could go faster. If I wasn't there the motorists would still have to wait for him so I wasn't slowing anybody down.

Last edited by LJ Seals; 10-02-19 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-02-19, 11:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I actually do it both ways.

Youtube - Cycling Torrey Pines Road between Coast Walk and Prospect Place

On this occasion I wasn't tired so I could go faster and there was a slower cyclist in front of me. If I wasn't there the motorists would have to wait for him anyway so I wasn't slowing anybody down.
I'd rather slow a car than crowd a pedestrian on a narrow sidewalk any day of the week, especially in a pulling up to the stoplight situation.

I learned a while ago that there's no way to avoid making a pedestrian nervous when they have to get around you on a narrow sidewalk. If you keep going, they think you're going to run into them, if you stop, they're not sure you aren't going to mug them. Meantime, all your slowing of the driver is going to probably amount to is a couple seconds longer before they can stop at the light.
Old 10-02-19, 12:02 PM
LJ Seals

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't pick up on it initially it was only after Daniel4 pointed it out but there is a bicycle lane adjacent to the sidewalk with clear markings in the right hand turn lane, the link you provided clearly says "Riding on sidewalks not allowed if there is an adjacent bike lane or bike path" so it now appears that you were totally in the wrong and if anyone seemed mad or rude in the video .... I'd probably say it was you.

Where I so often complain about some cyclists attitudes it's the minority that are rude, selfish and arrogant that give the rest of us a bad name.
It's not a dedicated bike lane. It's just a right-turn lane that may be used by bicycles.

I think the markings on the road simply say that "Bicycle may use full lane" and not "Bicycle must use this lane".

BICYCLE MAY USE FULL LANE

This photo was taken on Highway 101 in North County San Diego.

I once got two flat tires riding in the bike lane here and I've read that other people had the same problem so this could be the reason for letting cyclists use a full lane.

Last edited by LJ Seals; 10-02-19 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 12:50 PM
LJ Seals

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
... if anyone seemed mad or rude in the video .... I'd probably say it was you.

I thought she looked pretty mad even before I started talking to her.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-02-19 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 01:30 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
It's not a dedicated bike lane. It's just a right-turn lane that may be used by bicycles.

I think the markings on the road simply say that "Bicycle may use full lane" and not "Bicycle must use this lane".

BICYCLE MAY USE FULL LANE

This photo was taken on Highway 101 in North County San Diego.

I once got two flat tires riding in the bike lane here and I've read that other people had the same problem so this could be the reason for letting cyclists use a full lane.
So what? The markings on the road and the sign tell motorists cyclists are going to be there. Are there any signs on the sidewalk to say cyclists can use it?

Why risk the safety of a road user more more vulnerable than you by riding on the sidewalk when you can be on the road?
Old 10-02-19, 01:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I thought she looked pretty mad even before I started talking to her.
Gotta say, if I were a pedestrian on that sidewalk, I'd be pretty annoyed with an adult choosing to ride on it. I also don't understand why you think she's done anything to deserve you plastering her face on an internet forum.
Old 10-02-19, 01:59 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Closed thread for review.