Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Need tire suggestions gravel bike that I’ll be riding on pavement too.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Need tire suggestions gravel bike that I’ll be riding on pavement too.

Old 10-03-19, 04:33 PM
GeeTheCee

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, Trek Checkpoint ALR4 (2019), Bianchi Axis. Wrecked Bikes include: Gios Compact, Trek 1200. Stolen bikes included a 1978 - Trek 410, Mongoose1985 - ATB, Nashbar MkIII, Cannondale M2FS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
32mm would be plenty for those roads, if you want high PSI wide tire, GK slick 38mm is rated for 75psi
Thanks for the recommendation. 75 PSI is just around what I was thinking about. My concern will be how these perform on gravel or dirt when I stand up on the pedals, especially on hills. Are they fairly sticky in dry conditions? Wondering if the Schwalbe G1 Allaround (with tread, photo attached) in a 35c might be the ticket.
Old 10-03-19, 06:01 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
The future is now old man.
How to win friends and influence people.
Old 10-03-19, 06:57 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeTheCee
Thanks for the recommendation. 75 PSI is just around what I was thinking about. My concern will be how these perform on gravel or dirt when I stand up on the pedals, especially on hills. Are they fairly sticky in dry conditions? Wondering if the Schwalbe G1 Allaround (with tread, photo attached) in a 35c might be the ticket.
I go uphill in snow on a 25c slick on a 50x17 singlespeed.

If your goal is fast.... then you will learn to climb. (on the tire you posted)

In my opinion, not loosing traction uphill is a marriage of gear choice, weight, and fitness. In short If you don't have the fitness to sit n spin smooth and maintain traction, then "fast" on the rest of the ride is sort of irrelevant. As 'fast' is also based on fitness.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-04-19, 11:25 AM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
I run Schwalbe G-one's in 38c tubeless on my Niner. At 50-60 psi they roll great on the road and stick like velcro in the dirt. I'm very happy with these tires. Nearly 1,000 miles in and they're wearing well and zero flats with 50/50 road/gravel.

Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 10-04-19, 02:44 PM
GeeTheCee

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, Trek Checkpoint ALR4 (2019), Bianchi Axis. Wrecked Bikes include: Gios Compact, Trek 1200. Stolen bikes included a 1978 - Trek 410, Mongoose1985 - ATB, Nashbar MkIII, Cannondale M2FS

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I run Schwalbe G-one's in 38c tubeless on my Niner. At 50-60 psi they roll great on the road and stick like velcro in the dirt. I'm very happy with these tires. Nearly 1,000 miles in and they're wearing well and zero flats with 50/50 road/gravel.
Yeah, I see a pair of the Schwalbe's in 35c's in my future. Thanks.
Old 10-07-19, 10:36 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yeah, I see a pair of the Schwalbe's in 35c's in my future. Thanks.
I think you'll love them.

FYI, the resistance on pavement from 75psi to 45psi is about 6 watts per tire on the road. Off pavement, you'll be better off closer to the 45psi mark. Bumpy is slow, smooth is fast.
Likes For chas58:
Old 10-07-19, 12:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by drbarney1
Years ago I was submitted as a candidate for the job of flight simulator technician for a large and famous flight training corporation. I had more qualifications that anyone else. When the manager found out who I was he said he would never hire me because he saw mw get off an airplane I was delivering and saw my bright green socks. It turned out the job was contracted to Phillip Morris to train their flight crews who fly missions delivering lobbyists to lawmakers in their war against the human rights of nonsmokers, something I could never live with doing. Apparently a high ranking Phillip Morris executive was offended by the color green. At the time a book called “Dress for Success” had some junk science claiming people who wear green are evil.

The years passed. It was time for me to graduate with my PhD, an event so solemn that only green socks would be proper because they represented the antithesis of the hundreds of thousands of nonsmokers the tobacco industry, one of whose Phillip Morris executives who hated green, killed every year with their second-hand smoke.

Through a connection I was offered a visiting professor job at a university where I would stay at an apartment near the university during the week and go home on weekends. Something did not seem right about the department chair I would be working under. But I needed the money. He told me I would be required to wear black socks to work and I made the mistake of dismissing this as something minor. At a faculty orientation where all faculty were present, the university president asked for opinions on how to define success in its alumni. Many suggested employment and income. I stood up and suggested if a graduate refused a job offer with a corporation such as Phillip Morris because he or she was influenced by Kantian ethics learned in a philosophy course and took a lower paying job compatible with conscience that would be a most profound success. My new boss bawled me out for saying something that might make enemies. I knew right then and there the evil cowardice of keeping quiet he demanded was proof that if he were in Germany in the late 1930’s he would keep quiet about the concentration camps. Things got worse. He controlled my private life, calling me up on weekends and vacation time to work off the clock to help him churn out “five year strategic plans” to put on his resume and called me up demanding I drive long distances to help him out with “emergencies” that put me in legal jeopardy and figured out how to steal expenses free services never paying me back for my expenses. When I cost more of my paycheck than I could afford and neither HR nor any lawyer could not help me I walked off the job after turning in final grades.

I celebrated cutting him out of my life by burning all my black socks and I will never wear any other color of socks but green ever again.

Because I had only social security to live off of I got a mountain bike at Walmart to save car operating expenses. The black tires on it wore out after a year and I discovered I could replace them with green tires. The green tires from ebay have shown no visible wear the way the original ones did and I thought it proper to ride on green tires for the same reason I wear green socks (and green dress shoes too.)

Green tires I suggest for road use on your gravel bike. (You can get them in almost any color you like.)
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-07-19, 01:48 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I think you'll love them.

FYI, the resistance on pavement from 75psi to 45psi is about 6 watts per tire on the road.
This is excellent information. Your finding was that 75psi requires 6watts less than 45psi on the road correct? Was this 35c?
Old 10-08-19, 08:52 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
This is excellent information. Your finding was that 75psi requires 6watts less than 45psi on the road correct? Was this 35c?
Its by interpotating the data at this site (not specifically this review)
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...n-supreme-2016

Gravelish tires tend to be in touring. He's classifying "type" more by size - touring is sized between road and mountainbike.
I expect the G-One to be similar to the Compass bon jon pass, or Marathon supreme based on my experience.

Old 10-09-19, 06:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I ride about about 70/30 paved/gravel on a set of 38mm Barlow Pass ELs and could not be happier. I run them with tubes, will try tubeless on the next set I get. Super fast rolling on the road, and do all I need for gravel. Only issue is mud or wet grass.

I’ve though about giving the Gravel King Slicks a try, but every comparison I read (from people I trust and who have actually owned both) seems to say that as good as they are, they are not as smooth as rhe Compass tires.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-10-19, 09:52 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
Gravel King slicks are the almost perfect "do it all" tire. I have 38 mm tires set up tubeless and I love them. Will you win a road race? No. At the same time, I would put them up against any small knob tire in any condition and you will not lose alot over the average 28mm road tire. Some of my tarmac strava PRs are on my gravel bike with these tires at 45 psi tubeless.
I’m running the same setup on my Topstone: 38mm Gravel King slicks tubeless. I run 40-50 PSI, and it’s an awesome do it all tire although I ride about 3/4 on pavement. I’ve done short loops around my neighborhood back to back with my road bike and the gravel setup only seems to be a hair slower, but waaay more comfortable.

Offroad, the trails I ride a firm packed dirt, so I don’t need much side traction. Anything more radical and I take a mountain bike.
Old 10-24-19, 09:28 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I'm more on tarmac than on gravel with my winter bike and have quite a few hills on my regular rides so heavy treaded gravel tires don't do me so well. I bought the winter bike so I could load fenders up on it and put a little more tread when running through the rain and snow on the streets in the winter and save the nice bike for dry rides.

Anyway... back to the topic. I run 33mm Terreno Drys on an HED Belgian+ rim. Inflated they run out to about 37mm. I typically run them at about 75-80 psi, sometimes more, sometimes less. To find the optimal speed for this tire I went up a hill that has about a 2 mile run out. Did a bunch of descents starting at 100psi and dropping 10 psi each time. The key was keeping the line an not pedaling on the descent. I found that ~85psi on these tires on the road (not gravel) consistently gave me the best time going down the hill.

I haven't ridden a lot of gravel tires so I'm no good at giving you a suggestion, only know that I enjoy riding these Terrenos on the road and they do okay on the flat gravel. Better on gravel @ 60-65psi.

Also I weigh in at about 180-185 lbs and that needs to be taken into consideration for your tire pressure.

Pics for reference -
Old 10-25-19, 07:22 AM
chas58

@Wilmingtech good info. Looks like a good tire that would work well on and off road.
One question: your tires 33mm tires measure 37 on your rims? What is the ID of those rims?
Old 10-25-19, 07:27 AM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
This is great work. So many members of this sub-forum seem to fall into the trap of living and dying on the testing done by others. The extent of their knowledge being graphs and data from someone else who may or may not be producing relevant results. Anyway, good job and good lookin' bike.
Thanks @Spoonrobot

It's not for the faint of heart. It was close to 30 miles of climbing and a good chunk of the day to do this.

Certainly not scientific and the other thing I did not mention was holding your posture on the descent as aerodynamics have a play on the numbers as well when hitting speeds of 35mph.

What suprised me the most was the consistency of the numbers I was getting at different PSIs. I'll have to try it again next summer and keep a record of the results. It's a good way to get a climbing session in for sure.
Old 10-25-19, 07:39 AM
Wilmingtech

Originally Posted by chas58
@Wilmingtech good info. Looks like a good tire that would work well on and off road.
One question: your tires 33mm tires measure 37 on your rims? What is the ID of those rims?
They are the HED Ardennes Plus GP Disc wheelset. Same rim as the Belgian Plus rims with a 25mm External and 21mm Internal width.

Last edited by Wilmingtech; 10-25-19 at 03:38 PM.