Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Anyone drinking Protein shakes/drinks?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Anyone drinking Protein shakes/drinks?

Old 10-10-19, 01:03 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
for home mixers, shaker cup or blender?
Depends if you have larger, tougher items that need smoothing before drinking.

Seeds, nuts and kale/chard requires the blender, for example.

When I'm opting for a piece of fruit and half sandwich, say, but want a boost of protein, I might simply shake up a scoop of whey powder with nut "milk" and a squeezed lime. But, generally, the blender works for it all.
Old 10-10-19, 09:03 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Protein powder is not some magical substance which can build and preserve muscle. The only way to build and preserve muscle is through resistance training. If you don't use it you loose it, no matter how many protein shakes you drink per day... In order to preserve muscles, those nuscles need to be put under stress regularly.
Protein powder can help you meet your daily protein needs and help you build muscle only if it's used in conjunction with resistance training and if your daily diet is dialed in perfectly.
Actually, that precisely what it is, and exactly what it does -- although I won't argue the "magical" part. As for any other confusion, some things aren't expressly explained because I assume they are generally understood. Still, if you don't find it ridiculously obvious, you can always ask for clarification.
Protein powder used alone is useless and no different than drinking plain water.....Also don't forget about carbs, they are absolutely essential if your goal is to build any significant amount of muscle.
Now that's just plain wrong. Protein is a necessary nutrient, and vitally more valuable than just plain water. As to carbs, they are not essential to build muscle. Not sure what you were thinking when you made that comment.
Old 10-10-19, 04:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Building muscle takes a lot of energy. It requires stress on your muscles to trigger the process, but the actual building of muscle is an energy intense process. That energy cost is mostly paid for with carbohydrates. Your body isn't going to create new muscle tissue without glycogen.

Protein is like tools. You can't build a house without hammers and saws, but having more tools around won't make a house without carpenters, and won't prevent deterioration over time without work either.

To build muscle you need progressive overload, protein and carbohydrate, and hormones.

That's not what this thread is about, but since you're confused it's good to clear this up. 🙂
Old 10-10-19, 07:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
good comments

for home mixers, shaker cup or blender?
For the whey protein I mentioned in post 6, I use a shaker flask.
Old 10-13-19, 01:32 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
bought some Muscle Milk to try and it's good, might be too sweet
Old 10-13-19, 02:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-18-19, 12:19 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I'll start by saying that everyone's taste and metabolism are different and what works for one might not work for another.

Been making smoothies about fifty years, since the end of high school and beginning of college. Started out with milk, fresh fruit, plain yogurt... to... using soy milk as my base... to almond milk then as my base... to about twenty years ago... ORGANIC Unflitered APPLE JUICE... is my base.

In my Vitamix, one quart of apple juice, three or four table spoons of plain yogurt, whole milk or Greek non fat, Gold Standard Whey French Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor... that's my base... to this I add two frozen bananas, EITHER... fresh fruit in season or frozen Organic fruit like mango or mixed fruit from Costco, large handful... or... instead of fruit... three heaping tablespoons of organic peanut butter with two frozen bananas. Sometimes I add in a handful of almonds, sunflower seeds, flax... depends on mood.

I fire up the Vitamix, make 64oz of smoothie, drink one large glass before ride or workout, put the balance in Nalgenes in the fridge.

That's it! Leave your blender OUT ON THE COUNTER and you will use it regularly Experiment! Take it from me, you can have nutritious meal and workout replacements and additions to your diet.

ENJOY!
Old 11-18-19, 12:52 PM
KraneXL

bought some Muscle Milk to try and it's good, might be too sweet
Well Muscle Milk is one of the worst protein powders out there. So I'd avoid that one at all cost.
Originally Posted by Climb14er
I'll start by saying that everyone's taste and metabolism are different and what works for one might not work for another.

Been making smoothies about fifty years, since the end of high school and beginning of college. Started out with milk, fresh fruit, plain yogurt... to... using soy milk as my base... to almond milk then as my base... to about twenty years ago... ORGANIC Unflitered APPLE JUICE... is my base.

In my Vitamix, one quart of apple juice, three or four table spoons of plain yogurt, whole milk or Greek non fat, Gold Standard Whey French Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor... that's my base... to this I add two frozen bananas, EITHER... fresh fruit in season or frozen Organic fruit like mango or mixed fruit from Costco, large handful... or... instead of fruit... three heaping tablespoons of organic peanut butter with two frozen bananas. Sometimes I add in a handful of almonds, sunflower seeds, flax... depends on mood.

I fire up the Vitamix, make 64oz of smoothie, drink one large glass before ride or workout, put the balance in Nalgenes in the fridge.

That's it! Leave your blender OUT ON THE COUNTER and you will use it regularly Experiment! Take it from me, you can have nutritious meal and workout replacements and additions to your diet.

ENJOY!
You mean that some people might have food allergies such as lactose intolerance? Well I don't like chunks of anything in my smoothies. I prefer them smooth.
Old 11-18-19, 12:54 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Well Muscle Milk is one of the worst protein powders out there. So I'd avoid that one at all cost.

You mean that some people might have food allergies such as lactose intolerance? Well I don't like chunks of anything in my smoothies. I prefer them smooth.
With my Vitamix, there are NO CHUNKS what-so-ever! Completely... SMOOTH... that's why mine are called... SMOOTHIES!
Old 11-21-19, 08:37 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Chunkies just doesn't have the same ring to it
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 11-22-19, 12:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I eat food and drink water. Maybe electrolyte if it was really hot outside.

I'm not a trackie and don't do a ton of sprint workouts. I'm of the opinion that if you're doing what you should do with your diet and not going for the hour record or not a trackie..........the use of this stuff for amateur racers probably isn't the biggest deal.

If I'm going to be finishing up a group hammer fest once a week with a food truck and beer....I don't think I'm on a regimen to be buying/using protein solutions.
Old 11-22-19, 01:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I've had a few protein shakes. Because they were there. (Post ride, Cycle Oregon.) I drank them mostly for the God's nectar of the fresh fruit. In my racing days, had they existed I would have steered clear. Reason: Muscle recovery. Yes I know that sounds backwards. But proteins and muscle fiber that has been stressed and needs repair require the same thing. Oxygen. A limited resource. And protein always wins. So consuming more than the needed protein is putting muscle recover on hold.

I have found as a regular road rider that my diet of whole grains, veggies, fruit, legumes and limited fish provided plenty of protein. Absolutely no reason to shell out the bucks to get more, especially in a not so great tasting form with no fiber, trace minerals and vitamins.

I do use a blender regularly. About every 10 days I make the next batches of hummus and pesto. And yes, cleaning that sucker is the pits. (My GP finally got me to go off dairy. Hummus and pesto make up for no sharp cheddar cheese, the food I love. Going no dairy has been the last big jump in a series of health upgrades. I haven't this good since I raced 40+ years ago.)

Ben
Old 11-22-19, 01:16 PM
KraneXL

This is old-fashioned thinking. Especially when few people have the times and resource to map out a wholesome, well-balanced diet every day. A protein shake or two, would take car of all you protein needs in one fell swoop. If anything, there is a greater requirement for supplement as we age.

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-23-19 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-22-19, 01:56 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've had a few protein shakes. Because they were there. (Post ride, Cycle Oregon.) I drank them mostly for the God's nectar of the fresh fruit. In my racing days, had they existed I would have steered clear. Reason: Muscle recovery. Yes I know that sounds backwards. But proteins and muscle fiber that has been stressed and needs repair require the same thing. Oxygen. A limited resource. And protein always wins. So consuming more than the needed protein is putting muscle recover on hold.
Wait? What?

What you're saying sounds backwards because it is. Protein is used to repair stressed muscle fibre. They aren't competing with each other.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 11-22-19, 06:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

This is old-fashioned thinking. Especially when few people have the times and resource to map out a wholesome, well-balanced diet every day. A protein shake or would take car of all you protein needs in one fell swoop. If anything, there is a greater requirement for supplement as we age.
You don't have to eat a perfectly balanced diet every single day. As long as it's rounded, averages over the course of several days, you'll be fine. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-23-19, 03:06 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You don't have to eat a perfectly balanced diet every single day. As long as it's rounded, averages over the course of several days, you'll be fine. 🙂
You don't need to get 8 hours sleep to function either. But your productivity, focus and efficiency will diminish with every hour that you subtract. This isn't about barely getting by.

My suggestions are about MAXIMIZING heath and fitness, and reversing the signs of ageing. That's not going to happen by ignoring modern nutritional reasoning, and ignoring supplements.
Old 11-23-19, 12:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

You don't need supplements to be healthy. If you want to 'maximize' health you're much better off eating well than taking supplements.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-23-19, 01:06 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You don't need supplements to be healthy. If you want to 'maximize' health you're much better off eating well than taking supplements.
No you do not. However, my suggestion was meant for active people, who are looking to maximize their fitness. And who use their muscles and are regularly engaged in vigorous aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

It was not meant for those folks whose most demanding activity is to get off the sofa to go get another bag of pork rinds.
Old 11-23-19, 01:07 PM
wolfchild
Banned

You don't need to get 8 hours sleep to function either. But your productivity, focus and efficiency will diminish with every hour that you subtract. This isn't about barely getting by.
Sleep is overrated and 8 hours of sleep per night is a fantasy...I don't remember ever getting full uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep. I can be pretty damn productive with only 5-6 hours of sleep

My suggestions are about MAXIMIZING heath and fitness, and reversing the signs of ageing. That's not going to happen by ignoring modern nutritional reasoning, and ignoring supplements.
There is absolutely no proof or evidence that supplements reverse ageing, extend lifespan, prevent age related diseases, improve health/fitness. Supplements should only be used to correct deficiencies and not as a replacement for real food...Protein powder is overrated. Protein deficiency doesn't exist, at least not in the first world countries
Old 11-23-19, 08:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

No you do not. However, my suggestion was meant for active people, who are looking to maximize their fitness. And who use their muscles and are regularly engaged in vigorous aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

It was not meant for those folks whose most demanding activity is to get off the sofa to go get another bag of pork rinds.
I never get any exercise. I don't even get up for the pork rinds, I had as conveyor belt installed so the delivery guy shows up and they go right into my mouth.

🙂
Old 11-23-19, 10:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Folks who think sleep is unimportant, who think that no supplement does anything that ordinary diet doesn't do, who think the sarcopenia is an internet scam with no personal application to them . . . will probably never discover that none of those things are true. Well, except for that latter . . . Which is fine and not a problem for me. I just took my handful of pills with my whey protein and water, and off to bed for 9 hours sleep. We're taking the tandem out tomorrow for a fine 40 miles with the group, another Perfect Ride™.
Old 11-24-19, 04:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Folks who think the sarcopenia is an internet scam with no personal application to them .
I don't think anybody said that sarcopenia is a scam...What is being said is that drinking protein shakes isn't going to reverse or prevent sacropenia....Resistance training is the one and only way to reverse and prevent sacropenia. ( use it or loose it ).
Old 11-24-19, 11:22 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I don't think anybody said that sarcopenia is a scam...What is being said is that drinking protein shakes isn't going to reverse or prevent sacropenia....Resistance training is the one and only way to reverse and prevent sacropenia. ( use it or loose it ).
Low protein = muscle loss. Did you see the parents indicted for manslaughter for putting their baby on a vegan diet? I know a guy my age with cancer, getting chemotherapy, who drinks kale smoothies for breakfast. People are nuts. Resistance training w/o adequate protein isn't going to help. As we age, our protein requirements increase, not decrease like some seem to believe. Even with whey protein and resistance training, I just barely keep my legs from shrinking.
Old 11-24-19, 12:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Drinking protein shakes isn't the only way to get protein, just like eBikes aren't the only way to get up a hill.
Old 11-24-19, 12:52 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Sleep is overrated and 8 hours of sleep per night is a fantasy...I don't remember ever getting full uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep. I can be pretty damn productive with only 5-6 hours of sleep

There is absolutely no proof or evidence that supplements reverse ageing, extend lifespan, prevent age related diseases, improve health/fitness. Supplements should only be used to correct deficiencies and not as a replacement for real food...Protein powder is overrated. Protein deficiency doesn't exist, at least not in the first world countries
You may want to try sleeping more ; )

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326896.php

“Now, researchers at Boston University in Massachusetts have found that during sleep, the fluid present in the brain and spinal chord — called the cerebrospinal fluid — washes in and out, like waves, helping the brain get rid of accumulated metabolic "trash."”

And I wouldn’t say Protein powder is overrated....or underrated. It’s just protein.
Likes For CyclingBK:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.