Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chicago Area C&V Ride October 19th

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chicago Area C&V Ride October 19th

Old 10-19-19, 09:33 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
thanks so much to John for putting this together and hosting the event! It was a great chance to meet some new folks and old friends! Got to see more than a few great bikes too!
Of course, getting to set foot in John's phenomenal bike themed man-cave was an incredible experience! So much cool stuff!

I did take a few photos, and it will require a little time to get them edited and whatnot... in the meantime, let me offer a shot of our host on his Ciocc....

Steve, back in Peoria
(btw, the weather was wonderful for the ride! I did hit a bit of rain much later as I was headed back to central Illinois)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 10-19-19, 09:37 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
thanks so much to John for putting this together and hosting the event! It was a great chance to meet some new folks and old friends! Got to see more than a few great bikes too!
Of course, getting to set foot in John's phenomenal bike themed man-cave was an incredible experience! So much cool stuff!

I did take a few photos, and it will require a little time to get them edited and whatnot... in the meantime, let me offer a shot of our host on his Ciocc....

Steve, back in Peoria
(btw, the weather was wonderful for the ride! I did hit a bit of rain much later as I was headed back to central Illinois)
Thanks for coming. Lots of fun. Thanks for not CALLING ME a Ciocc! LOL
Old 10-19-19, 10:39 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
That is some bike cave...wow!
Old 10-20-19, 05:56 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I'm kicking myself for missing this; I had some serious commitments that I just couldn't duck. Hopefully this wasn't a one off and I can make it next year.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 10-20-19, 08:08 AM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 124 Posts
What a great, fun, day at John's house! I finally got to experience being surrounded by all these dream bikes. It's quite a museum he has, and John was a great host.

The weather was perfect, and the ride was a lot of fun. Got to meet some new forum members and shared stories. A really great day!
Old 10-20-19, 10:20 AM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by ryansu
That is some bike cave...wow!
Thanks, check out the entire mancave. There are other videos you can check also

JJ
Old 10-20-19, 10:37 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
A fantastic day! As mentioned above- really is a treat for John to open his doors and share his amazing collection.

What's fascinating is seeing this collection presented as a time trip 'very high end' bike shop - and everything is like NEW. The line up to bikes perfectly displayed on the walls to shelves and showcases, signs and memoirabilia. And then to see his nicely setup shop surrounded with all the goodies. Super nice!

Well done, John.

Here's a few pics including John tuning Alex's wheel.

Also, thank you along with Steve W for the party favors ~ cool Miyata project 🏁

Last edited by crank_addict; 10-20-19 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-20-19, 10:52 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Few more pics of the pre-ride Fox River trail and Johns bike emporium.

Old 10-20-19, 11:11 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Oh man I just got drool all over my shirt! nice shots @crank_addict thanks for sharing
Old 10-20-19, 01:41 PM
jjhabbs 

Great shots! Glad you guys were here!!

JJ
Old 10-20-19, 02:55 PM
steelbikeguy

time for some photos from the ride......

we took some side streets to get over to the trail that runs along the Fox river.

Dan on his Raleigh Pro Mk. III

Elwood on his RRB bike, built by Ron Boi in Chicago

Scott, a.k.a. Crank Addict, on his Peugeot:

and the Peugeot itself.....

through the side streets, with John and Elwood at the front and Scott and Steve W just ahead of me....

Scott, John, and Elwood......

of course, stuff happens. Steve W. had to stop to tighten the rear QR after the wheel slipped in the dropouts and started rubbing (he is riding his Chas Roberts)

...to be continued....

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 10-20-19 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-20-19, 03:46 PM
steelbikeguy

we continued to the trail that runs along the Fox river, and crossed the river on a really nice bridge. There is an upper deck that is for rail???? Maybe a local can tell me. Overall, the trail is a great resource and appears to get quite a bit of use.

the trail is paved and surrounded by wooded areas, for the most part. Possibly even more pleasant than the corn and bean fields that make up most of Illinois??

a quick shot of Scott/Crank_Addict....

we did have to work our way through a Saturday morning market in one of the communities along the river....

back on the trail, with Elwood and Dan behind me...

Alec (a.k.a. abshipp, I believe?? Please correct me if I get names & usernames wrong) was having some issues with spoke tension in his rear wheel. John was able to give it a quick touch-up on the road, and finished it up when we got back to his shop.

We were stopped for a "natural break" at a trail facility, and this was the first time I stopped to get a look at Bernie's bike. It's a bit of an enigma, but with some great details and a new paint job by Andy Muzi.

....to be continued...

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-20-19, 04:11 PM
steelbikeguy

back on the trail! a quick shot of Dan and Steve W. behind me...

the sun eventually came out, which was a welcome sight.

another quick shot to my rear, with Dan, Scott, and Elwood

we stopped to get the first of the group shots, which was an opportunity to get a closer look at some of the bikes. Here we see John's Ciocc. So shiny, so pretty.

Dan's Raleigh Pro, Mk. III, held a special interest for me. Due to the success of their marketing in the 70's, I have a strong attraction to Raleigh's bikes.

The stem on the Pro is a 3TTT Record, but the decal is one I haven't seen before.

Elwood's RRB, built by Ron Boi, was intriguing too. I have an attraction to the works of small frame builders.

the fork crown....
quite a bit of clearance, which is useful again in an era where 25mm and 28mm tires are common.

a nice clean seat cluster on the RRB.....

....to be continued.....

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-20-19, 04:28 PM
steelbikeguy

Dan's Raleigh Pro, parked in accordance with Rule #1 : always park with the Drive Side Out!
This does provide a good look at the bike's geometry. A fair bit of clearance between the rear tire and seat tube, suggesting a bit more relaxed geometry, but the fork rake is pretty minimal for the early 70's.

The classic "fastback" seat stay attachment for the Raleigh Pro. I have no idea if it makes a difference functionally, but the marketing has me thinking that it is cool!

like fastback seat stays, sloping fork crowns also are a sign of better/sexier/faster. No idea if it is true or not, but it looks good to me.

whoever was doing the lug lining back in the early 70's clearly had more time (or less caffeine) than when they did my '74 International. This is done quite well!

back to John's place......

Alec on his very shiny LeTour 12.2....

that's pretty much the ride itself.
The ride itself was the quick part of the day. It took about 2 hours, but we spent a long time at John's place just gazing at his remarkable collection, and a bit of time taking in the details of each other's bikes.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 10-20-19, 06:18 PM
jjhabbs 

Wow Great shots! Thanks for capturing the day.

JJ
Old 10-21-19, 06:56 PM
steelbikeguy

some quick details of Bernie's bike....

Nervex Pro bottom bracket shell
I just noticed that it uses a short length of cable housing to transition the rear derailleur cable from the down tube to the chain stay. This must pre-date the use of clamp-on cable guides, then?
Or was it just before anyone worried about brazing stuff to tubes?
Either way, it must mean it is before... 70's? mid 60's?

left rear drop-out.
Made of sheet steel; nothing fancy. It is interesting that the forward end of the slot angles down a bit. Wasn't that done to guide the wheel away from derailleurs that mounted on the chainstay, such as the Cyclo or Nivex?
btw, I love the fishmouth(?) ends where the stays attach to the dropout. very cool!

the sticker on the back of the seat tube.
The frame was recently painted by Andy Muzi, so this isn't a vintage sticker. It is pretty neat, though.

seat cluster lug.
Was it supposed to be slotted down to the circular cutout?
Taking a quick look at my International, I see that Raleigh did indeed cut the slot down to the circle (and drilled out the circle). The intent, I believe, is to provide some stress relief at the end of the slot.

lower head lug and fork crown

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-21-19, 07:07 PM
jjhabbs 

If you check out my YouTube channel, the video on Bernie's bike was the quickest video I ever had that got over 500 views in one day.

JJ
Old 10-21-19, 08:24 PM
76SLT 

some quick details of Bernie's

left rear drop-out.
Made of sheet steel; nothing fancy. It is interesting that the forward end of the slot angles down a bit. Wasn't that done to guide the wheel away from derailleurs that mounted on the chainstay, such as the Cyclo or Nivex?
btw, I love the fishmouth(?) ends where the stays attach to the dropout. very cool!

the sticker on the back of the seat tube.
The frame was recently painted by Andy Muzi, so this isn't a vintage sticker. It is pretty neat, though.

Steve in Peoria
The rear dropouts are Stallard, and the sticker is from the British League of Racing Cyclists which was started by Percy Stallard. The Stallard dropouts and the Nervex Professional lugs are the only part of this frame that I could identify.
Old 10-21-19, 08:46 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by 76SLT
The rear dropouts are Stallard, and the sticker is from the British League of Racing Cyclists which was started by Percy Stallard. The Stallard dropouts and the Nervex Professional lugs are the only part of this frame that I could identify.
Is there a known period when the Stallard dropouts were in production? That should help nail down when the frame was built, at least a little.

The connection of the decal to the dropouts is a fun detail! I'm going to guess the decal is a reproduction? How did you find out about Stallard and the BLRC?

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-21-19, 09:03 PM
76SLT 

Is there a known period when the Stallard dropouts were in production? That should help nail down when the frame was built, at least a little.

The connection of the decal to the dropouts is a fun detail! I'm going to guess the decal is a reproduction? How did you find out about Stallard and the BLRC?

Steve in Peoria
Someone here on bf pointed out the Stallard dropouts which I had not heard of before that. Reading about those, and just who Percy Stallard was, I found out about the BLRC.

Percy Stallard

BLRC
Old 10-21-19, 10:48 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
The mystery frame only had one shifter boss originally that I was told a normal shifter would not mount to.. I had an old 50`s French bike that had a unique boss that was designed for this type shifter. Nothing else would mount to the boss. Needed a nut at the end. Would love to see pictures of the original boss before mods?

VeloBase.com - Component: Simplex double (both levers on right)

Last edited by Steve Whitlatch; 10-21-19 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 05:21 AM
76SLT 

Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
The mystery frame only had one shifter boss originally that I was told a normal shifter would not mount to.. I had an old 50`s French bike that had a unique boss that was designed for this type shifter. Nothing else would mount to the boss. Needed a nut at the end. Would love to see pictures of the original boss before mods?

VeloBase.com - Component: Simplex double (both levers on right)
I remember Andy saying that it was most likely threaded for Simplex or Cyclo so he converted it to more common threading so there wouldn't be any issues. You can see where the pump peg used to be before I had him move it.
Likes For 76SLT: