Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Im 14, and I barely need to be driven anywhere

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 10:47 PM
ProsecutedBiker
The Broke Biker ;)

Bikes: 1 Road Bike<-Won it =)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before I got into biking, my parents would drive me most places. My Jazz lessons, school (or the bus), friend's houses, school sporting events the list goes on and on. But once I got into biking I have been able to bike most everywhere i need to go.

time and time again, im surprized by how quick, easy and painless it is to bike. Ive biked places that only months ago i thought was beyond my reach if i didn't have a ride.

Ive learned to LOVE biking, because I don't have to rely on my parents, i get a lot of excercise, and biking is sure a lot more fun then sitting in a car

Even once I am able to drive (1 more year ) I still think I will bike most places i can, and will continue to the rest of my life
Old 10-29-08, 10:50 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Great post...you live in a great place for biking!

Are you ready for the rainy season?
Old 10-29-08, 10:51 PM
ProsecutedBiker
The Broke Biker ;)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have lights (is dark when i leave for school)

and a raincoat i can wear
My bike already has fenders, so i'm good there

the only thing keeping me out when it's raining is my laziness =P
Old 10-29-08, 10:52 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope so.
I simply decided to forgo the temptation altogether: I don't have a driver's liscence, although I'm more than capable of driving a car. Its simply unneccessarry, expensive expenditure. I can get anywhere in town in less than an hour, and getting to other cities is easy with the bus system.
Bicycling is the freedom of a car without cost or obligation.

In short, its the best way around.

Props for the avatar.
Old 10-29-08, 10:53 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My last post referred to your first, rather than the raincoat statement.

Fenders, 35mm, would be a very intelligent investment for rainy weather.

I'm not ready for the rainy season, which starts the day after tomorrow.

I don't know what to do.

I'm broke.

I'm kind of screwed.
Old 10-29-08, 10:57 PM
ProsecutedBiker
The Broke Biker ;)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go to REI during their "garage sale" thing. I found a bike rack (normally 40.00) for 8. It was in perfect condition, the only reason it was there was that it was used.

I've seen fenders there before. Or you could check craigslist or something
Old 10-29-08, 11:05 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
True. I'll check, although I expect nothing.
We'll see...
Old 10-29-08, 11:34 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ProsecutedBiker
I have lights (is dark when i leave for school)

and a raincoat i can wear
My bike already has fenders, so i'm good there

the only thing keeping me out when it's raining is my laziness =P
Good for you on the fenders and the lights. Remember that here in Seattle it will not only get rainy but also *cold* and rainy from December through February. Your raincoat is a great start, but you'll need to find a way to keep your head, hands, and feet warm and dry.

Best of luck - I rode to work all last winter and didn't miss very many days due to weather.
Old 10-30-08, 01:33 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Before I got into biking, my parents would drive me most places. My Jazz lessons, school (or the bus), friend's houses, school sporting events the list goes on and on. But once I got into biking I have been able to bike most everywhere i need to go.

time and time again, im surprized by how quick, easy and painless it is to bike. Ive biked places that only months ago i thought was beyond my reach if i didn't have a ride.

Ive learned to LOVE biking, because I don't have to rely on my parents, i get a lot of excercise, and biking is sure a lot more fun then sitting in a car

Even once I am able to drive (1 more year ) I still think I will bike most places i can, and will continue to the rest of my life
That's great. My story was similar. I commuted to school, rode to my friends, football games, christmas shopping. Driving was good for girlfriends, but that was about all. When I moved out from my Dad's I still didn't have a car, but I found a good place and moved out on my own with only a bicycle for transportation.

In the years since, I have had several cars and a motorcycle. The ones that weren't stolen or wrecked all seemed to die from under-use. My current one sits in the parking lot. After 3 years it's still on the tank of gas I put in it while driving home.

Of all the things that I've done in my life, using the bike for transportation was the best decision I've made, bar none. It still pays big dividends. Don't let the bike get away.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-30-08, 09:29 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
PB, I too at fourteen was riding my bike practically everywhere, and when my parents did drive me somewhere, it was usually to get to a family gathering.
I still can remember the confused look on my parents' faces when I was sixteen, and I showed little enthusiasm in getting my driver's license.

Old 10-30-08, 09:38 AM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never been to Seattle, although I understand that there is a strong bicycling scene there. However, on Another Board, someone said that she lived there and wouldn't bike because (a) too many hills and (b) too many crazy drivers.

Could someone give an unbiased description of the terrain and traffic conditions there?
Old 10-30-08, 09:45 AM
Ashen
Cascadian Nationalist

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I live in Seattle, and bike all over the place. I don't find the drivers to be bad at all, and the highest hill in town is 500 feet. I climb it almost every day. It's not that bad.
Old 10-30-08, 09:49 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
There's a whole generation of Baby Boomers that grew up the same way.

amirite?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-30-08, 10:41 AM
toThinkistoBe
Cheese

Bikes: Trek 520 & an old huffy mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a few years of riding pretty much everywhere (and over a year of car-freeness) I still have this feeling. It's very liberating. I love it and hope it never goes away.

biking is sure a lot more fun then sitting in a car
You said it all right there. There are a few things I miss about having a car, but nothing even resembling importance. Probably the thing I miss most is the musical capability of a small enclosed space.
Old 10-30-08, 11:32 AM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unfortunately, here in Charleston, kids don't bike much. Parents are afraid that if they let their kids out of their sight for 5 minutes, they'll be kidnapped, sexually abused, or run over.

The schools don't have bike racks. I don't know if riding to school is forbidden (as it is in Charlotte, NC), but it is certainly not encouraged.

Last edited by Elkhound; 10-30-08 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-30-08, 01:59 PM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adulthood is all about independence and it sounds like you are already ahead of the game, good job. Throw a job or volunteer in the mix if you don't already have one and you will pretty much be there.

Last edited by scattered73; 10-30-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-30-08, 02:47 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkhound
I've never been to Seattle, although I understand that there is a strong bicycling scene there. However, on Another Board, someone said that she lived there and wouldn't bike because (a) too many hills and (b) too many crazy drivers.

Could someone give an unbiased description of the terrain and traffic conditions there?
hilly? yes, but most of them are only 200-400 feet.. of course there are some steep streets around here (up to 22%), but mostly it's in the 5-10% range.

crazy drivers? those are everywhere, and seattle is no different. although in the city i think drivers do give you room and all that good stuff.

PB, good for you for starting the car free lifestyle early! like Benge said, you're in a great place for it.

my race videos
Old 10-30-08, 02:58 PM
Elkhound

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scattered73
Adulthood is all about independence and it sounds like you are already ahead of the game, good job. Throw a job or volunteer in the mix if you don't already have one and you will pretty much be there.
At 14 he's a little young for a job, but I suppose he could run errands for people on his bike, especially if he got some good panniers and a trailer.
Old 10-30-08, 03:12 PM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 14 he's a little young for a job, but I suppose he could run errands for people on his bike, especially if he got some good panniers and a trailer.
What? At 14 I had had a paper route for a couple years. Friends mowed lawns or worked at grocery stores bagging groceries, and girls baby sat at that age. A bike gives a non-driver more options for work.
Old 10-30-08, 03:15 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
One other thing: I really thing riding a bicycle is great training for driving a car. You develop a sense of traffic flow, what to watch out for, etc. Neither of my sons ride a bike and they're pretty scary to ride with when they drive.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-30-08, 03:59 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried to get my 17 year-old daughter to ride her bike to school. It's only 1.5 miles. She takes the bus. She lives with her mother, so I can't force the issue.
Old 10-30-08, 04:35 PM
Saving Hawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
hilly? yes, but most of them are only 200-400 feet.. of course there are some steep streets around here (up to 22%), but mostly it's in the 5-10% range.

crazy drivers? those are everywhere, and seattle is no different. although in the city i think drivers do give you room and all that good stuff.

PB, good for you for starting the car free lifestyle early! like Benge said, you're in a great place for it.
It's nice living in Seattle, but some of the suburbs can be absolute cycling nightmares; I grew up in the Renton highlands, a classic "great place to raise a family". Aside from a little trip around the subdivision, riding anywhere meant negotiating shoulder-less 35 mph arterials with traffic weaving at 45 and 50. It's just not safe, and there's nothing in the way of cycling infrastructure aside from a couple worthless recreational paths. Ehh, I'm glad I got out of dodge.
Old 10-30-08, 05:07 PM
degnaw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Saving Hawaii
It's nice living in Seattle, but some of the suburbs can be absolute cycling nightmares; I grew up in the Renton highlands, a classic "great place to raise a family". Aside from a little trip around the subdivision, riding anywhere meant negotiating shoulder-less 35 mph arterials with traffic weaving at 45 and 50. It's just not safe, and there's nothing in the way of cycling infrastructure aside from a couple worthless recreational paths. Ehh, I'm glad I got out of dodge.
A suburb with shoulderless 35mph arterials? That sounds like a perfect description of where I ride, in an exurb of Cincinnati.

Anyways, I'm 17, have my license, and drive maybe once a month. I have never seen a single cyclist within three miles of my house, but i do recall thinking someone was "crazy" for riding a bike to soccer practice just a few years ago (When I lived in upstate NY).
Old 10-30-08, 06:04 PM
ProsecutedBiker
The Broke Biker ;)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well i don't actually live in seattle, i live a little ways north of it in a suburb. In seattle itself, the biking is pretty good, but in the suburbs it varies a LOT. For example Kirkland is a great place to bike, but Shoreline is pretty bad. It depends on the suburb

And as for the job/community service, next year I will have to do community service and so i'll probably choose something i can bike to. I don't have a "job" per say, but i do go work at my dad's office sometimes and do odd jobs like taking care of houses when people are gone.

Last edited by ProsecutedBiker; 10-30-08 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-30-08, 07:11 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I biked all the time when I was your age but all but stopped when I got my driver's license. Don't do what I did! The difference between us is, you already seem to view the bicycle as a tool, whereas I viewed it as a means of recreation. Yes, I rode it to get places, but that was because I had no choice. Then I got my license, got "into" cars, became poor, fat, out of shape, and miserable because of it, and finally rediscovered cycling. Currently I'm 29 and just now getting to the point in my thinking that you are already at. You are ahead of the game, believe me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.