Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saddle recommendations?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saddle recommendations?

Old 06-04-15, 08:52 AM
NTGray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle recommendations?

I am about to get back into riding after several years of non-use following a medical emergency. My old saddle doesn't work for me any more; it hurts. I'm looking to get a plain old touring saddle, upright and comfortable, with a 2-digit price tag. What are my best choices, and why?

NTG
Old 06-04-15, 08:59 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 1,927 Posts
Saddles are a very personal choice; what works for one person may not for another. Your best bet it to try some and decide what works for you. Many bike shops have test saddles you can use while making your mind up.
Old 06-04-15, 10:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My town's shop has Take-Off saddles at reduced prices , they are stock saddles from new bikes ,
the buyer of the bike just chose a different saddle.

Often they wanted a wider one .. Pleather covered foam saddles will be affordable..

Brooks saddles are mostly higher than you budgeted... 3 figures..
Old 06-04-15, 12:13 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Saddles prove that human bottom ends are almost like finger prints. Some saddles will work for some bottoms but not all. The only way to pick one is to try a few.
Old 06-04-15, 01:31 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the SMP TRK and Phorm S310 saddles are a good place to start - and they are well under three digits.
Old 06-04-15, 01:47 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Increasing your fitness might be the best place to start. Figure out how long you ride before the saddle starts to hurt, ride 5 minutes less than that every day for a week, and try again. Repeat as required.
Old 06-04-15, 03:11 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
The Adamo peak Is the only Wedgie saddle I can ride on. It matches my 'Sit Bones',, matches the distance between them perfectly.
And best of all It does not have that useless nose that kills me,,
It was time for me to move to a modern saddle...

ISM

They have a trail and error program so you can ride different models..
They cost more than 2 digits but I am through learning that old lesson over and over,,you know the one... 'You Get What You Pay For"
Old 06-04-15, 03:27 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by NTGray
I am about to get back into riding after several years of non-use following a medical emergency. My old saddle doesn't work for me any more; it hurts. I'm looking to get a plain old touring saddle, upright and comfortable, with a 2-digit price tag. What are my best choices, and why?

NTG
Did it always hurt, or is this a new development? How long have you been back to riding? Is it possible you just need 20 or 30 hours of saddle time to become reacquainted with your old saddle.
Old 06-04-15, 06:00 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NTGray

NTG
Everyone's different. I found one I really liked many years ago after much worry and, old school or not, continue to use it. Don't envy you the search.
Old 06-04-15, 06:07 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
When it comes to saddles and your butt on a bike... don't let a budget be the deciding criteria. A lot of people have spent a lot of money buying many saddles trying to find the one that fits best. I guess I'd start with the ones that come most recommended. I'd have to say that the brooks saddles have more recommendations than any others. That's what I have on my touring/commuter bike... ZERO complaints - I don't even think about butt comfort when I'm riding... it's not an issue. I was fortunate to buy a brooks B17 champion special for $50 (I bought two)... However, I think you would be fortunate to find one for under $150. Touring cyclists (people that put 100 miles or more in the saddle day after day) have been riding brooks for decades. I think it's a good place to start.

If you don't get a comfortable saddle, you'll find plenty of reasons not to ride your bicycle... then you have your 2 digit saddle and your 3 or 4 digit bicycle just sitting in the garage.

Last edited by InTheRain; 06-04-15 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-05-15, 05:38 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Upright 60° angle look up the "selle royal respiro moderate" a wider seat might feel better at first but might rub more. And you have to play with seat adjustment. A little change in the seat can make a big change in riding.....going though the same thing.
Old 06-05-15, 06:16 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I have a Brooks B-17 which I love. I also have a Selle Anatomica NSX which I love.

The AnAtomica really was comfortable right out of the box. The Brooks took quite a bit of time.

Hard to say which one is best; but, I think the Selle AnAtomica wins!

RESIST THE URGE to adjust/tighten either one, and use only Proofhide, once a year, to maintain it!

Last edited by Wanderer; 06-05-15 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-05-15, 10:43 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I have a Brooks B-17 which I love. I also have a Selle Anatomica NSX which I love.

The AnAtomica really was comfortable right out of the box. The Brooks took quite a bit of time.

Hard to say which one is best; but, I think the Selle AnAtomica wins!

RESIST THE URGE to adjust/tighten either one, and use only Proofhide, once a year, to maintain it!
The other saddles that I like are the leather saddles by Gilles Berthoud. There are a few things in common with the saddles that seem to come most recommended: They are leather and none of them are available for under $100. I really like the looks of the Gilles Berthoud saddles. However, I don't believe that I'm not going to live long enough to wear out my brooks saddles so that I can have the opportunity to try something different.
Old 06-05-15, 11:11 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I love my Brooks B17 standard. Recently bought one for my wife with the thought that if she didn't like it, could always use it as a backup to my current Brooks. Fortunately, she seems to like it.
Old 06-05-15, 11:46 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I love my Brooks B17 standard. Recently bought one for my wife with the thought that if she didn't like it, could always use it as a backup to my current Brooks. Fortunately, she seems to like it.
But they don't have $$ models, only $$$ models. If you hit an REI 20% sale, then $115 with tax and free shipping.

Try the WTB line, good value for the money.
Old 06-05-15, 12:20 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
If you really want a Brooks saddle, watch ebay for the sales, and such. I've been tempted to pick up either a new Professional, or a Swallow/Swift.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-05-15, 01:45 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
As you can tell, everyone has a favorite and as stated above, the search is a pain in the butt (pun intended). I have a Selle Italia Turbomatic and my butt likes it a lot.
Old 06-05-15, 03:40 PM
Mobile 155

Nt,
As you can see you open a can of worms when you ask for a reccomendation. There is a big difference between highly recommended and most popular. The big heavy leather saddles have their fans and spread the word almost like the gospel. Except if you live where there are a lot of people riding bikes you will see very few compared to other saddles. Are they comfortable? For some. Do they have a break in period? Depends who you ask. Are they comfortable for everyone? Not a snowman's chance in Death Valley.

What most of us have done is try a saddle before they buy a saddle. Most shops will let you try one even if they don't have test saddles. You might have to leave a deposit. But until you have some miles on you bike now you are shooting in the dark getting reccomendations from us.
Old 06-05-15, 04:33 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Nt,
As you can see you open a can of worms when you ask for a reccomendation. There is a big difference between highly recommended and most popular. The big heavy leather saddles have their fans and spread the word almost like the gospel. Except if you live where there are a lot of people riding bikes you will see very few compared to other saddles. Are they comfortable? For some. Do they have a break in period? Depends who you ask. Are they comfortable for everyone? Not a snowman's chance in Death Valley.

What most of us have done is try a saddle before they buy a saddle. Most shops will let you try one even if they don't have test saddles. You might have to leave a deposit. But until you have some miles on you bike now you are shooting in the dark getting reccomendations from us.
I'm sure that you can see that brooks saddles are both popular and highly recommended. I'm sure there are a lot of good saddles out there and probably some that are better than brooks. If I were starting my search, I'd start with a saddle that many people are satisfied with. I remember my search... I started with Brooks, it was a short search. I didn't care for the look on my carbon fiber road bike... so i've gone through some different saddles on it. I settled on a specialized s-works toupe' gel. It's fine for 50 mile rides... beyond that, I put the brooks on the road bike... I don't care how it looks.
Old 06-05-15, 04:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Yes, we are all different. Ask at your shop(s) about seat trial and return policies. Good shops allow you to return the seat you bought after you have ridden it long enough to know if it is the one for credit toward another seat or merchandise. There is a shop in my hometown of Portland that takes this a big step further. They have a seat library. Literally. Pay $25 for a library card. This allows you to take out any demo seat and ride it for a week. You can come back as many times as you like and take out others. Find one that is it and your $25 goes toward the new one of that model. (Gladys Bikes)

I ride Terry Flys. I rode decades and many thousand miles on Selle Italias in the ' 70s and '80s. My body changed. Discovered the Terrys a decade or so ago, approximately the same seat but with a cutout and shallow center rear. (A blessing for my broken tailbone.) I've had a happy butt for a while. Not pushing the Terrys, just pointing out that we have to find "our" seats. Odds are it is out there but the only way yo know for sure is to sit on it (for a lot longer than a test ride).

The post above demonstrates just how different we are. I would consider another sport if I had to ride Brooks seats on my bikes. (I spent 4 years with a quality Brooks copy on my commuter. "Best" seat I had ever had on a city bike, by a lot. When that bike got stolen, I was upset and sad until I realized I didn't have to ride that seat anymore.

Ben
Old 06-05-15, 10:01 PM
Mobile 155

Intherain: I said most popular not just popular. my point comes to fruition when at least two of us didn't find Brooks suitable for sitting on. A saddle is one case where one size doesn't fit all.

it may be a different where you live and with who you ride with but I know very few people that ride a Brooks. I have seen a lot like 79pmooney on Terry's and other perineum relief saddles.

I have nothing against Brooks and I was glad that Selle Royal (I believe) bought them to save the design. Just like I am glad they still make gum wall 27x1:1/8 tires for that retro look. But to me Brooks was a bottom hatchet.
Old 06-05-15, 10:12 PM
Mobile 155

If I sounded too confrontational I only meant he should try any saddle back to back to see what works. Spend a few days with each and then decide don't count on our bottoms to be like his.
Old 06-06-15, 12:14 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
If at all possible, find a local shop or club where you can try out saddles. Also, when you try the saddles out, be sure to fiddle with the angle and forward/back. My el-cheapo Schwinn Comfort saddle was insanely uncomfortable, till I tilted it nose-up, and now it's insanely comfortable. It creaks like an old bed, though...

Still, any saddle is better than the alternative, of lubing up the seat post, and sitting down very carefully, Vlad-The-Impaler-style...
Old 06-06-15, 01:09 AM
DanWho

Bikes: Actionbent Roadrunner high racer, Redline d660 29er and a Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped at a local bike store and one of the many toys they had was a special tool you sat on, it measured the sit bones in your bottom and from that they could make a good recommendation of what may work. I have been to several and cant remember what brand this one was selling, we went there to see if my GF could do a Cattrike. I sat on it and from that they recommended a saddle that was only $45. Best fitting saddle I had until I sold that bike. Only just this year have I gone back to upright bikes for a while due to a knee injury that is keeping me off my recumbent until I feel my knee is stronger.
Old 06-06-15, 12:24 PM
gabedad

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selle Anatomica for me on both bikes . You can usually catch a holiday sale for $99 at the end of the year but they are about $159 now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.