Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Zwift training/workout/racing thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Zwift training/workout/racing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 10:57 AM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Bikes: Hate me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I watched a Zwift race last night...I concede, it's a lot more interesting and cool than I thought it was.
Don't overstate it. It's still a bunch of people riding trainers after all.

It does make the time pass a lot faster, and the intensity I get beats any other trainer inspiration I've tried.
Old 12-30-15, 10:59 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
Nobody can retrospectively view your data unless it's on Strava and made public. Anyone can view your real-time data while you are riding (as long as they are also logged into Zwift). I suppose a smart hacker could construct a .fit file from data of another rider that they "viewed" for the duration of that rider's session, but it would require them "viewing" the entire time. That sort of single-minded stalking seems unlikely among your actual competitors.
thanks
Old 12-30-15, 11:13 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nobody can retrospectively view your data unless it's on Strava and made public. Anyone can view your real-time data while you are riding (as long as they are also logged into Zwift). I suppose a smart hacker could construct a .fit file from data of another rider that they "viewed" for the duration of that rider's session, but it would require them "viewing" the entire time. That sort of single-minded stalking seems unlikely among your actual competitors.

There is potentially some value to the real-time casual observation of somebody's numbers. Every rider has their current w/kg displayed next to their name on the rider list. Last winter when I was using zwift I would frequently see a household name NE masters racer pounding out 4+ w/kg for hours and hours. IIRC he was in the masters field at the first Bethel race and I mentioned to @gsteinb and his teammate that the guy had been doing a ridiculous amount of threshold work over the winter. I only remember the exchange because the teammate, who I had just met, made some dismissive rude comment about it. I think the zwift guy got 2nd place that day. I don't think gsteinb's teammate was in the front half of the race :/

Anyway, the best way to deal with this if you're concerned about privacy is just to be anonymous and give yourself a random name. There's no way for anyone to see who you really are.
Old 12-30-15, 11:24 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also get average power data from any rider using the mobile app. Not very useful. As Grumpy said if you link to Strava all the data is available there.
Old 12-30-15, 11:26 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by globecanvas
There is potentially some value to the real-time casual observation of somebody's numbers. Every rider has their current w/kg displayed next to their name on the rider list. Last winter when I was using zwift I would frequently see a household name NE masters racer pounding out 4+ w/kg for hours and hours. IIRC he was in the masters field at the first Bethel race and I mentioned to @gsteinb and his teammate that the guy had been doing a ridiculous amount of threshold work over the winter. I only remember the exchange because the teammate, who I had just met, made some dismissive rude comment about it. I think the zwift guy got 2nd place that day. I don't think gsteinb's teammate was in the front half of the race :/
perhaps. it would be a bit much to turn what was a poor tactical decision on my part into some guy being so strong he rode away from me. The reality is zwift or no zwift, he'd have put in massive miles and he's not strong enough to ride away from me week in week out from a race in my particular discipline. He's built and trains for long hilly road races, and wins a bunch of TTs. The reality is I knew he wasn't going to show up 8 times, and even if he did he'd never factor into a sprint. The thing I didn't account for was his breakaway partner beating him, and then showing up every week, and there not being enough depth in the field to get space between me and him in a bunch of field sprints. I should have gone with it. I lost the series based on that one decision. So it goes.

Anyway, the best way to deal with this if you're concerned about privacy is just to be anonymous and give yourself a random name. There's no way for anyone to see who you really are.
that's a good idea. the thing is that I doubt I'd ride with people on there or do many races or group rides. probably once I got beyond the gee whiz factor I'm not entirely sure what I'd get out of it that I don't have now. Willing to see when I have non important training time to work through it all.

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-30-15 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-30-15, 11:34 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
perhaps. it would be a bit much to turn what was a poor tactical decision on my part into some guy being so strong he rode away from me. The reality is zwift or no zwift, he'd have put in massive miles and he's not strong enough to ride away from me week in week out from a race in my particular discipline. He's built and trains for long hilly road races, and wins a bunch of TTs. The reality is I knew he wasn't going to show up 8 times, and even if he did he'd never factor into a sprint. The thing I didn't account for was his breakaway partner beating him, and then showing up every week, and there not being enough depth in the field to get space between me and him in a bunch of field sprints. So it goes.

I wasn't at all suggesting that there was some tactical mishandling in that particular situation -- like I said, the guy is well known and we all know what he can do and can't do. I just meant to illustrate that it's not useless to see what people are doing. If it had been some other racer whose abilities were less well known, who you observed doing huge threshold hours, and he went otf in the first race of the year, you'd know he would be likely to stay away. That sort of thing.
Old 12-30-15, 11:39 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by globecanvas
I wasn't at all suggesting that there was some tactical mishandling in that particular situation -- like I said, the guy is well known and we all know what he can do and can't do. I just meant to illustrate that it's not useless to see what people are doing. If it had been some other racer whose abilities were less well known, who you observed doing huge threshold hours, and he went otf in the first race of the year, you'd know he would be likely to stay away. That sort of thing.

I'm suggesting it was a tactical mishandling, and that based on history I wouldn't need zwift input to know he was strong. Now in the case of some lesser known guy not riding under an alias, I suppose it would be similar to doing the group ride and seeing some guy putting the hurt on others week in and week out.
Old 12-30-15, 08:04 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
New flat course looks neat but I hope swift doesn't break stuff with too many changes. Could be unrelated but tonight my avatar started doing circles for no reason and I had to log off. This was just after I caught the "3W/kg group" by chasing at 4+ so it was extra annoying.

Zwift really needs to make it so you can end a ride and start a new one without quitting the program.
Old 12-30-15, 09:43 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
New flat course looks neat but I hope swift doesn't break stuff with too many changes. Could be unrelated but tonight my avatar started doing circles for no reason and I had to log off. This was just after I caught the "3W/kg group" by chasing at 4+ so it was extra annoying.

Zwift really needs to make it so you can end a ride and start a new one without quitting the program.
Agreed, it is too difficult to avoid quitting the program for whatever reason.

The new course is going to be good for warmups.
Old 12-30-15, 10:40 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Zwifted for about an hour tonight. It was the watopia course but with some turns that were optional or something. I've only been at it for a week, so all of it is new to me. Just did some quick threshold intervals, but it's nice to have some active scenery.
Old 12-31-15, 12:12 AM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Bikes: Hate me.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the circle thing happen a few weeks ago, so it isn't the latest update. Most of my errors have been immediately after updates, so I'm in the habit of restarting the application after each one.

I didn't like that all of my sprint PRs and lap PRs disappeared with the new course. I was also hoping for new sprints on the flat course- there's certainly room for them. Doesn't have to be a green jersey sprint. They can do it like the Broad Street sprint in Richmond. The dirt is interesting. If they could make the nearby riders board fade during those sections, it would be a great place to attack during training races.
Old 12-31-15, 06:23 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts

That's typically an internet connection issue
Old 12-31-15, 06:34 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
just under an hour on zwift ... held onto the KOM and sprint jersey at the same time until logging off. program is saving my injured winter.
Old 12-31-15, 10:36 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two hours Z2 on the island while watching a movie.
Old 01-01-16, 08:58 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
i need to get back on the bike
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-05-16, 07:19 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Tried Zwift...45 minutes...TSS 41 that felt like 82 for the TSS hounds.
Old 01-06-16, 06:42 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Did the "sub 2 w/kg" ride last night. It was hectic, with riders (guys?), all over the place. Sub 2 w/kg, target 1.5 w/kg, but riders were going so hard at times.

Suddenly it was almost 2 hours later, and I was cooked.

Watopia flat.

I agree, I was looking for a new sprint segment but no such luck.

Also my fitness is really nosediving. Now I blow up just after the right curve in the Watopia sprint, not just before the left curve. Goal is to cross the line going at least 35-37 mph, ideal is holding 39 mph. On one sprint I crossed the line at 15 mph after giving up halfway down that main straight. This lessens the temptation to go for sprints and instead just do JRA rides like I normally do. Plus some VO2 Max intervals, at some point.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-06-16, 07:01 AM
Wylde06

They should add a sprint either at the dam or at the docks of the new flat section
Old 01-06-16, 08:49 AM
Jimmy Phoenix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody can retrospectively view your data unless it's on Strava and made public.
As of a month ago it was possible to view complete data for a Strava hidden ride after the fact, provided that person crossed over with someone else during the course of a ride long enough for Strava to think they rode together. The ride didn't even have to be on your account; just find someone who had the ride data public, go to the "rode with" list, and then you can pull up anyone's complete data for that ride, even if that second person hid the ride and they only crossed over for a few minutes.

The assumption here is that they "rode with" someone, but Strava's algorithm is pretty generous with that. A few people used it to dig up info on how KICKRs could be gamed pretty consistently.

Last edited by Jimmy Phoenix; 01-06-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-06-16, 09:37 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
They should add a sprint either at the dam or at the docks of the new flat section
Dirt road sprint
Old 01-06-16, 10:29 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy Phoenix

The assumption here is that they "rode with" someone, but Strava's algorithm is pretty generous with that. A few people used it to dig up info on how KICKRs could be gamed pretty consistently.
I have long suspected that Kickrs have often been reading high. Is there some online discussion of evidence that it is being done deliberately? (E.G. people purposely de-tensioning their Kickrs in order to make them read high)
Old 01-06-16, 11:20 AM
bike rider

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Among all the online multi-rider sites, which is the most 'honest'? Or accurate.
Old 01-06-16, 03:15 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jimmy Phoenix
As of a month ago it was possible to view complete data for a Strava hidden ride after the fact, provided that person crossed over with someone else during the course of a ride long enough for Strava to think they rode together. The ride didn't even have to be on your account; just find someone who had the ride data public, go to the "rode with" list, and then you can pull up anyone's complete data for that ride, even if that second person hid the ride and they only crossed over for a few minutes.

This is not correct, at least not any more. I just tested this. It is possible to view rides for users who you are not following (users who require approval to follow), using the rode-with links, but it is not possible to view rides that are marked private, using any method that I am aware of. Private rides do not appear in the rode-with links.
Old 01-07-16, 07:42 PM
Wylde06

2x15 sweet spot intervals. Shovel happened to be on..he was in front of me after my first interval. I passed him a few minutes into the second one, then pretty much after I was done he flew by me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/465435260
Old 01-07-16, 07:57 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
2x15 sweet spot intervals. Shovel happened to be on..he was in front of me after my first interval. I passed him a few minutes into the second one, then pretty much after I was done he flew by me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/465435260
I was on... but just doing a FTP builder workout...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.