Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cinelli ID Knockoff??

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cinelli ID Knockoff??

Old 05-11-19, 08:41 AM
McGrath1864

Bikes: Trek 614, two Bob Jacksons Trek 2200, Trek 710

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cinelli ID Knockoff??

Guys,

I bought the frame off eBay. Came with a Campy bottom bracket and headset. Cinelli marked on the forks, brake bridge and top of the seat stays. Campy dropouts. It takes a 27.2 seatpost. NO serial number on the bottom bracket shell, just marked 64 - the frame size. Seat tube lug looks like it takes a standard bolt and does not match any of the Cinelli models online. The question any idea who made it, it seems like a high quality frame.

Thinking of sending it back, but I do think it is a very high quality bike frame. If I could ID the make I would keep it.

I am guessing there is an expert on this out there somewhere. ANY assistance is greatly appreciated

My research says that the seat lug is wrong and missing the serial number - likely not Cinelli.

Sorry, no photos the forum says I am too new and will not allow them.
:-) Gerry
Old 05-11-19, 01:22 PM
McGrath1864

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cinelli ID Knockoff??

Guys,

I know its an old story. I bought the frame off eBay. Came with a Campy bottom bracket and headset. Cinelli marked on the forks, brake bridge and top of the seat stays. Campy dropouts. It takes a 27.2 seatpost. Cinelli decals. The question any idea who made it, it seems like a quality frame. Thinking of sending it back. My research says that the seat lug is wrong and missing the serial number - likely not Cinelli.

Photos available if you email me Bike Forum will not let me post photos as I am new

ANY assistance is greatly appreciated
Old 05-11-19, 04:13 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Reply to this thread 10 times just to get over the hump and you can post your photos.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 05-11-19, 05:27 PM
McGrath1864

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=CV-6;20925111]Reply to this thread 10 times just to get over the hump and you can post your photos.[/

Cinelli knockoff
Old 05-11-19, 05:27 PM
McGrath1864

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cinelli knockoff
Old 05-11-19, 05:29 PM
McGrath1864

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cinelli knockoff

Cinelli
Old 05-11-19, 06:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
please don't make junk posts. go to the introductions forum and introduce yourself and say hi to some other newbies instead
Old 05-11-19, 06:48 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
If it has the Cinelli logo on the seat stay caps, fork crown, and brake bridge, there is little basis to say it's not a Cinelli. Cinelli made frames for other brands, but they're still Cinelli's if they have those panto's, more so than not. Cinelli also made models that were not Super Corsas, either, and they are really nice.

For example, at present, there are 3 "Cinelli Centurions" on ebay. None are the Equipe model, made under contract specifically for Centurion to sell, but that does not mean they are not Cinelli's.

A Cinelli "Project" Centurion was also marketed around 1984, with varying decals. Some have speculated it was the prototype for the Equipe, but in the numbers produced, I tend to think otherwise. I've seen them predominately in blue, but also in black and also in red. BF member @afilado had a beautiful blue model. These models did not have the chromed lugs as the Equipes did. My best guess is they were most likely made by Chirico in Bussero, Italy. Many Cinelli frames were made there. Chirico's son was a frame builder at Cinelli for only about 12 years.

Once you post pics, folks here with plenty of insight may be able to help you. I'm not sure what you expected from the sale of an item, or if the ad failed to post pictures, or told you it was a Super Corsa, or what.

Maybe post the link to the item you bought, that should be allowed, if photos are not.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-11-19 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-11-19, 07:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
If it has the Cinelli logo on the seat stay caps, fork crown, and brake bridge, there is little basis to say it's not a Cinelli. Cinelli made frames for other brands, (Lotus, Centurion) but they're still Cinelli's if they have those panto's, more so than not. Cinelli also made models that were not Super Corsas, either, and they are really nice.

For example, at present, there are 3 "Cinelli Centurions" on ebay. None are the Equipe model, made under contract specifically for Centurion to sell, but that does not mean they are not Cinelli's.

A Cinelli "Project" Centurion was also marketed around 1984, with varying decals. Some have speculated it was the prototype for the Equipe, but in the numbers produced, I tend to think otherwise. I've seen them predominately in blue, but also in black and also in red. BF member @afilado had a beautiful blue model. These models did not have the chromed lugs as the Equipes did. My best guess is they were most likely made by Chirico in Bussero, Italy. Many Cinelli frames were made there. Chirico's son was a frame builder at Cinelli for only about 12 years.

Once you post pics, folks here with plenty of insight may be able to help you. I'm not sure what you expected from the sale of an item, or if the ad failed to post pictures, or told you it was a Super Corsa, or what.

Maybe post the link to the item you bought, that should be allowed, if photos are not.

I'm not sure what seat lugs you're referring to. Not every Cinelli, again, is an SC.
Old 05-11-19, 07:34 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Mods -

we now have two threads with the same header from the same poster

Cinelli ID Knockoff??

-----
Old 05-11-19, 07:48 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,763 Posts
Merged duplicate threads and deleted junk posts.
Old 05-15-19, 10:34 AM
McGrath1864

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks got the reply. I think you are indeed correct. It is a project Cinelli. You can find the pix here - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ci...-frame.249070/

There is one for sale on eBay. Any idea how many of these were made?

Thanks,

Gerry
Old 05-15-19, 01:07 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 2,504 Times in 1,046 Posts
Based on the seat stay attachment to the seat cluster, I am confident in saying it was not sold originally in Cinelli livery, at least not as a Speciale Corsa or Model B. Based on the "winged C" logo in the frame parts, whatever it is it is definitely from after 1978 or so, when Cino Cinelli sold the company to the Columbos (of Columbus tubing fame, not the family of the bumbling TV detective).

It could be a Cinelli-built project bike, but I know pretty much nothing about those and thus can't confirm or refute that - maybe someone with a Centurionelli or a Lotus/Cinelli can confirm it is one of those. I know that having a Cinelli bottom bracket means nothing - Cinelli sold those to other frame builders to use. I don't know if the same is true for for fork crowns and brake bridges. Again, maybe someone else knows off the top of their heads.

Hope this helps at least a tiny bit.