Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pump breaks off nut on Presta valves

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 11:41 AM
jrg1244

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD 5 Potenza 66cm, 1984 Basso Gap Nuovo Record 65cm, 1989 Cannondale ST Racing Triple 27", 1974 Schwinn Paramount Nuovo Record 26", 198? Scapin MKII 66cm Victory, 1994 Havnoonian Chorus 8sp 27"

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 44 Posts

Just got back from a quick 12 mile ride, but before I left, again, I broke the little nut off the presta valve stem. The little threaded rod breaks and sometimes the tire will still hold air while other times I get the whoosh, and need to stop at the local shop to get a fresh supply of new tubes. It seems to have started about a year ago, when I bought a new floor pump, the Park Tool home mechanic floor pump. I'd bet I've broken 6 or 7 of them off since then and it's starting to get really annoying. Maybe I'm using the chuck wrong? Anyone else with this issue, or this pump, care to weigh in? Should I get another pump?
Old 08-03-19, 11:55 AM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I have that same pump and have used it without issues for years. It maybe your technique that is contributing to the issue. It might be helpful to watch some videos to see if you are attaching the pump head correctly. Sounds as if you might be bending it instead of putting it on straight when attaching and removing.
Old 08-03-19, 11:58 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I've broken lots of those until I figured out how to pump presta valves properly.

Make sure your pump has a flexible hose and when you're pumping, keep it flexed - like having a big arc. Don't keep it straight and taught.
Old 08-03-19, 11:59 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
In most cases, the little nut does not need to be completely unscrewed in order to inflate the tire. Try giving it maybe 2-3 twists. I bent a bunch of those suckers before trying this technique.
Old 08-03-19, 01:46 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
This is why I got in the habit years ago of using a schrader adapter. The presta's aren't as much of a problem when using a floor pump at home, but out on the road, pumping up a tire with my Silca frame pump, that you just can't stabilize like a floor pump, that's where I had this problem. The screw-on schrader adapters protect the fragile presta stem, and since using them routinely, I don't think I've even bent a presta stem, much less broken another one.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 08-03-19, 01:48 PM
jrg1244

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD 5 Potenza 66cm, 1984 Basso Gap Nuovo Record 65cm, 1989 Cannondale ST Racing Triple 27", 1974 Schwinn Paramount Nuovo Record 26", 198? Scapin MKII 66cm Victory, 1994 Havnoonian Chorus 8sp 27"

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 44 Posts
I'll check out the videos as suggested... It may be that I'm pushing the chuck on too far, then when I release the lever, I'm applying enough sideways force to break the nut off. Thanks for the suggestion to only unscrew a few turns. Will try that with my new (as of this morning) tube!
Old 08-03-19, 02:05 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
This is why I got in the habit years ago of using a schrader adapter. The presta's aren't as much of a problem when using a floor pump at home, but out on the road, pumping up a tire with my Silca frame pump, that you just can't stabilize like a floor pump, that's where I had this problem. The screw-on schrader adapters protect the fragile presta stem, and since using them routinely, I don't think I've even bent a presta stem, much less broken another one.
Indeed, I've also given up on Presta pump heads. I found all of the adapters that I've collected over the decades, and put one on each bike, plus one with the pump at home. I've only had one nut break off, but have lost several tubes due to the weakness of the joint between the stem and the tube.
Old 08-03-19, 02:14 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
...... and put one on each bike, plus one with the pump at home.....
Yup, same here. I've kept one on every bike I've owned, for years, and keep a spare in my road bike's seat bag, in case I fumble one into the weeds while fixing a flat way out in the boonies somewhere.
I haven't even pumped up a tire at home without using one in longer than I can remember. They basically fix the main weak point of presta valves, there's no downside IMO.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 08-03-19, 02:44 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Where do I get these Schrader adapters.??
Old 08-03-19, 02:56 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Any bike store has them. They also come with the cheap ccm floor pumps.
Old 08-03-19, 02:56 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
If you have a wide enough aluminum rim you can use a round file to enlarge the hole and use Schrader valves. I did that upon converting to tubeless and never looked back. No adapter needed, any car or gas station can pump up your tire etc.

For on the bike I got a mini pump with a hose. But yes, i see how you can break off that tiny thing. especially when removing the chuck after inflating and you try to hectically not waste any air.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 08-03-19, 03:22 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
But yes, i see how you can break off that tiny thing. especially when removing the chuck after inflating and you try to hectically not waste any air.
You don't "waste" air when removing a presta valve chuck. The valve closed when you stopped pumping more air into the tire. The only air that escapes is what is in the hose.

Schrader valves don't work this way, the valve is held open against spring pressure, and air will escape from the tire when the chuck is removed. Once the spring closes the valve no more air will be lost. it's a different design that works fine for low pressure applications, but the presta design works better for use at higher pressures.
Old 08-03-19, 04:37 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,909 Times in 1,140 Posts
jrg1244,
I have one pump dedicated for Schrader valves and one for Presta valves. I throw the factory head away and use a Silca pump head. Cost about $30 and it goes straight on from the top so no side twisting. You can upgrade to the newer pump head that costs $65 but it is a thing of beauty, and works flawlessly. Side release instead of top so no extra pressure on the valve stem. As others have said I keep a presta /schrader adapter with all bikes in case I am out in the boonies and can only find a gas station with schrader chucks. In the shop I use a modified Milton blower nozel with a flex hose attached to a Silca head that allows me to use the compressor to fill the tires. Smiles, MH
Old 08-03-19, 04:51 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
This is why...

I only now buy tubes with replaceable stems. This serves with extenders for aero rims as well as any failures with traditional length stems. Stock up on valve assemblies and Teflon tape...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-03-19, 05:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
They're usually in a jar next to the cash register.

It's one of those things people lose all the time and and buy 2-3 at a time.

BTW... never broke a presta valve.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-03-19, 06:48 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by GlennR
They're usually in a jar next to the cash register.

It's one of those things people lose all the time and and buy 2-3 at a time.

BTW... never broke a presta valve.
And I've never lost a schraeder adapter.
Old 08-03-19, 07:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
And I've never lost a schraeder adapter.
Neither have I, but that's because I never needed one.

These days most pumps have a head that fits both.
Old 08-03-19, 07:44 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Sure, I realize that, both my floor pumps have dual capacity. And I realize plenty of folks have no issues with prestas, but the fact remains that they are thin, fragile pieces of metal that are easily damaged, which isn't helped by the fact they're so frequently used.
I was just making a suggestion to the OP that his problem could be easily and inexpensively avoided with the use of a schrader adapter, which does in fact mitigate much of the risk, as has been attested to by other posters.
Old 08-03-19, 07:52 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I only now buy tubes with replaceable stems. This serves with extenders for aero rims as well as any failures with traditional length stems. Stock up on valve assemblies and Teflon tape...
Great suggestion ! I got curious and just took a look around.....
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Q-Tube...-Cores-Bag-Ten
Pretty inexpensive way to sidestep the weak link in the system, and along with a good patch kit, keeping tubes running indefinitely.
Old 08-03-19, 09:06 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
You don't "waste" air when removing a presta valve chuck. The valve closed when you stopped pumping more air into the tire. The only air that escapes is what is in the hose.

Schrader valves don't work this way, the valve is held open against spring pressure, and air will escape from the tire when the chuck is removed. Once the spring closes the valve no more air will be lost. it's a different design that works fine for low pressure applications, but the presta design works better for use at higher pressures.
Schraeder valves are used on refrigeration systems with up to 500 psi. Also on shocks. I think they can handle even roadbikes.😎

The presta valves I had release some air when you touch that "screw" and move it laterally. I assume if you don't pull up the chuck exactly straight.

I grew up with what I believe is referred to as Dunlop valve. Only very few high end bikes had what was referred to as French valves. Of course none of the common pumps worked for those.
Then MTB came with Schraeder valves and life got easy, we could just use the already existing car infrastructure.
Old 08-03-19, 09:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Breaking the nut on a presta valve is an indication of poor technique. You need to apply and remove the pump head directly, not at an angle.

Fortunately, most modern inner tubes have removable cores, so when this happens you can simply replace the broken core with an intact core. Replacement valve cores can be purchased separately or salvaged from discarded inner tubes.
Old 08-04-19, 05:43 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I've broken plenty of presta valves with my Planet Bike pump in the past. A few things I've found to the help reduce the chances of breakage:
  1. Unscrew only as much as needed to get air through the valve. Maybe 1-2 turns?
  2. Rotate your wheel so the valve is at the top pointing down. When removing the chuck you're pushing down instead of pulling up.
  3. Don't push the chuck on very far. It doesn't have to be jammed down on the valve to get air through (at least on my pump).
  4. Put a new chuck on the pump. Mine wears out and then I violate #3 .
Old 08-04-19, 07:00 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Even though I’m not amazingly coordinated, I don’t recall ever breaking a Presta.
Old 08-04-19, 09:36 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Old 08-05-19, 08:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Use one hand to hold the pump head straight while flipping the lever with the other. You're probably allowing the pump head to get crooked and bend the valve. I broke off one Presta nut years ago and learned my lesson.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-06-19 at 10:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.