Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Video of car vs. motorcyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 02:39 PM
stegosaupus
Coffee and Candy powered!

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi y'all. Wrong "bike", I know (mods, please feel free to move this post to foo if it's more appropriate there), but as a VC-practicing commuter, I thought it was important to show how quickly an accident can occur, even when you're riding lawfully, carefully and cautiously! The rider (who is a racer and instructor) captured the entire accident on her helmetcam.

From reading the rider's thread:
1. Most importantly, she's OK!
2. While driving at the speed limit and mid-lane, a car loses control, crosses 3 lanes and spins into her.
3. Only 4 seconds elapse between the time the car loses control and she is hit.

https://socalsportbikes.info/xmb/view....php?tid=34948
Old 02-16-06, 02:45 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
what happened with the car? did a front tire blow out or something??
Old 02-16-06, 02:49 PM
stegosaupus
Coffee and Candy powered!

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
what happened with the car? did a front tire blow out or something??
It looks like the car was speeding up while traffic in front of him was braking. He braked hard, locked up, and started to spin. Apparantly, once police arrived, he was claiming that *she* hit *him*... until she mentioned she had captured the whole thing on her cam!
Old 02-16-06, 03:03 PM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been seriously considering fitting a camera on this type on my car... police accident investigations are getting more and more hasty, and a lot of people will blame the other guy no matter what, to keep their insurance from rocketing.

I guess I could also wear one on my head...
Old 02-16-06, 03:13 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Well three points... shows that while traffic is predictable, the individual driver is not... and that while well trained (supposedly), even the best "two wheelers" cannot avoid all bad situations.

The last point... stupid agressive motorist. If the idiot had just taken his foot OFF the gas much sooner, and had worked to maintain a proper safe following distance, this would never have happened and no brakes would have ever needed to be used.

As far as his comments about "she hit me;" pretty typical... and if it had been a dead cyclist, the cop would have just written it that way.

Wow, really great clear picture.
Old 02-16-06, 03:14 PM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow,

I once witnessed a motorcycle t-bone into a car. The driver of the car trying to make a left turn from a side street. Bad blind spot (for the driver of the car) and the motorcyclist didn't have a chance. The driver braked when she realized that she cut off the motorcycle. The motorcyclist literally flew over the hood of the car and landed on his back. Luckily he had a full face helmet on. It was so surreal, like watching a stunt on The A-Team.

Like in this video, it was great how a lot of people came to his aid (including me). The motorcyclist was barely moving, and they tried to remove his helmet. I just started yelling not to do anything until help arrived, which was literally almost instantaneous. Meanwhile, the driver was still sitting in her car, just frozen.

Needless to say, I needed a drink after seeing all that...
Old 02-16-06, 04:38 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She should have been able to avoid it. Her reactions were too slow and she did not hit the front brake hard enough.
Old 02-16-06, 04:45 PM
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta love the driver

Quote from the Driver - "She Hit Me"!

This after spinning out due to his own stupidity and agressiveness. Freakin' moron.

I'm glad the motorcylist is okay.
Old 02-16-06, 05:16 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by galen_52657
She should have been able to avoid it. Her reactions were too slow and she did not hit the front brake hard enough.
And that was exactly what she said in the motorcycle forum... amazing how people really react when the fan hits the sh*t, eh.

I found myself equally frozen recently as a car that had run a light came within scant inches of me while I was on a bicycle. At best I determined to steer toward the rear of the car, out of harms way... but I never touched the brakes, never thought to high speed turn away.

While some may tout "fast reaction times," the thinking part of the brain sometimes gets in the way.
Old 02-17-06, 01:05 AM
FastFreddy
Vino 4-ever

Bikes: road, mtn, and several commuter bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, it looks like a mechanical failure (the car shouldn’t have pulled so violently to the right under hard braking) coupled with driving too fast for conditions (it looks like the car was accelerating into traffic that was braking). I think the car was trying to speed up in order to change lanes – into the motorcycle's lane – and then had to slam on the brakes. But a car in proper working order shouldn’t go into a skid like that under hard braking.
Mattie Ross: I am the person for it. Mama was never any good at sums and she could hardly spell “CAT”.
--from the movie True Grit (2010)
Old 02-17-06, 01:31 AM
mac
They see me rollin'

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale T2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Man, that's what I fear when I'm out zooming around on my motorcycle. I had a similar thing happen to me on my road bicycle doing 33mph. The first 2 things that popped into my mind were: (a) if you dump your bike, you'll smash into the curb and slide underneath the car's wheels; and (b) aim for the hood so you can fly over and not smash your head into the side door... aim for the hood... aim for the hood...
Old 02-17-06, 03:43 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
I've been following this on the motorcycle forums and it looks to me, as well as others, that the guy was doing a stupid ass move, locking up the rear brakes with the hand-brake, parking-brake as some kind of stunt. If you look closely, the rear locks first and he has tons of room ahead of him.

Galen-its easy to critisize when you're not there. This happened really fast. She decided to go right, which is probably what I would have done, but then got blocked by the car in the right lane. She was doing everything right but everything just stacked up against her at the worst possible moment. Also shows you what good safety equipment does.
Old 02-17-06, 04:02 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with the car? Normally, just like a bike, motorcycle and most other vehicles with wheels, your front brake provide the most stopping power.

How on earth did he lock up the rears before the front? He was probably being stupid and used the hand-brake to see if he can lock it up for fun.
Old 02-17-06, 04:05 PM
genec
genec

Probably a poorly maintained car...
Old 02-17-06, 08:53 PM
Big Tommy C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it looks more like he slammed the brakes and tried to swerve to avoid hitting the car, but didn't realize that swerving when you lock the brakes is a bad idea.

Also...the front brakes have more power BECAUSE the rear lock up first since the weight transfers to the front of the car.
Old 02-17-06, 09:27 PM
BradC
Am I the only car-guy?

Bikes: None yet!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a moron! I drive "aggresively", but not stupidly. How the hell does someone go past threshold breaking into full lock-up and spin on a smooth, flat road in dry conditions? What a horrible driver! Especially in a small-er car like a Civic. Even the most base model ****box Civic handles "acceptably" enough to not pull that ****. This is why we need more extensive testing for liscenses. Something like a hazard course with pop-up targets and judging responses/reaction time/etc... ****ers!
Old 02-17-06, 09:29 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Tommy C
I think it looks more like he slammed the brakes and tried to swerve to avoid hitting the car, but didn't realize that swerving when you lock the brakes is a bad idea.

Also...the front brakes have more power BECAUSE the rear lock up first since the weight transfers to the front of the car.
But it didn't seem like he needed to stop that short. He had plenty of room in front of him.
Old 02-17-06, 09:36 PM
mac
They see me rollin'

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale T2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Tommy C
In general, swerving into another lane is more dangerous. When I had my accident (not my fault) I kept going straight so I wouldn't knock out other cars in the lanes next to me.
Old 02-17-06, 09:45 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think if my rescuer looked like this, i might wonder if i'd already died and gone to heaven.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Accident20060210_0001.jpg (16.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-17-06, 10:00 PM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Galen-its easy to critisize when you're not there. This happened really fast. She decided to go right, which is probably what I would have done, but then got blocked by the car in the right lane. She was doing everything right but everything just stacked up against her at the worst possible moment. Also shows you what good safety equipment does.
I noticed that too - I wonder if instead of hitting the brakes, if she'd hit the gas, maybe she could have made the gap before they collided. It looked pretty close...

Actually, reading more of the motorbike thread, that sounds like just what she was trying to do. Cool.
Old 02-17-06, 11:18 PM
FastFreddy
Vino 4-ever

Bikes: road, mtn, and several commuter bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
I think if my rescuer looked like this, i might wonder if i'd already died and gone to heaven.
+1
Mattie Ross: I am the person for it. Mama was never any good at sums and she could hardly spell “CAT”.
--from the movie True Grit (2010)
Old 02-18-06, 01:25 AM
iBarna

Bikes: A great one!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BradC
What a moron! I drive "aggresively", but not stupidly. How the hell does someone go past threshold breaking into full lock-up and spin on a smooth, flat road in dry conditions? What a horrible driver! Especially in a small-er car like a Civic. Even the most base model ****box Civic handles "acceptably" enough to not pull that ****. This is why we need more extensive testing for liscenses. Something like a hazard course with pop-up targets and judging responses/reaction time/etc... ****ers!
OMG what a prime example of chest banging pathetic machoism this post is. "I'm so much better than that moron! This could NEVER happen to me. Just impossible. I'm so much better. This is why it's okay for me to drive aggressively. Seriously, those *******, they should leave aggressive driving to people who know what they're doing... like me".

Until one day, when you are not concentrating, when your car isn't in the best shape, when you drive home after a glass of beer (that you never do, just this one time), it DOES happen to you, and you take out someone. The bottom line is that cars are dangerous and should NEVER be driven aggressively.
Old 02-18-06, 05:10 AM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks iBarna. It's nice to hear that not everyone thinks they are professional drivers.

Also from what I can glean from the motorcycle forum the guy was uninsured. What's great as well is that he swerved into traffic instead of to the left considering he was next to a concrete barrier in the HOV lane. I guess he didn't want to hurt his precious uninsured car. What a jackbag. If he doesn't get hung out to dry with all of the evidence we are all screwed because it means we will never have a chance.

Genec has it right. If it was a dead cyclist they would have just believed the driver and gone about their day.
Old 02-18-06, 07:04 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cadd
How on earth did he lock up the rears before the front? He was probably being stupid and used the hand-brake to see if he can lock it up for fun.
In a panic stop the rear always locks first (unless you have anti-lock brakes). This is because the car nose-dives thus the rear is unweighted reducing pavement pressure on the rear wheels. Even more prevent on front wheel drive vehicles as the static weight bias is more to the front than rear wheel drive.
Old 02-18-06, 07:11 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
If you had any experience on motorcycles and examine the tape closely, you can see that she does not start aggressive braking until it is too late, if at all. She simply misjudged what was happening. Many, many motorcyclist (and bicyclists) do not know how to use their vehicle's brakes to the fullest extent and fear the front brake. I am not saying it is her fault. I am saying it would have been possible to avoid the collision with more timely and aggressive braking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.