Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Where do you go for your fixed gear needs around D.C.?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 06:50 PM
Humenbean

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been up down left right and my experience has sucked. I'm a noob when it comes to some of this stuff and instead of people trying to work with me I mostly feel unwelcome. I want to ride a bike that looks good as well as performs, and most shops I talk to look at me like I'm an idiot because I care about the aesthetics of the frame.

I finally found a shop and mechanic that I really like (not sure if I should say the shop) and before I get heavy into buying / building a bike do you guys have any other shop suggestions for me? One of the regulars here said it would be good for me to at least post something like this before I go through with anything to make sure there isn't someone / something I have missed.

One of the main issues I have is that I really like the look of a bianchi super pista and the more aggressive ride-ability in the city as well. But as mentioned in my other thread I plan on stripping the bike and painting it flat black. Stripping the bike like that lead me through recommendations to the Leader 725 / 35. Nobody around here carries it or is an authorized dealer (from the searches I did.)

So what I am looking at now is buying the 735 frame set / seat post online and building the rest with the shop. The mechanic also said he builds custom wheels for around $400 a pair that are built like a tank and will last a very long time.

What do you think? Is there a super special shop you think I should go to first? Did I stumble upon the right shop for the job?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-12, 07:16 PM
Xgecko
old legs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$400 is a bit steep in my opinion but it really depends on what rims/hubs you want. I built a set of wheels last month for half that just searching Fleabay, admittedly I did have my LBS make the rear round and straight but I did the front myself. There is a Bicycle Co-op in Mt Rainier that can teach you how to do all the work. There is also Bikehouse which open this weekend
Old 03-05-12, 07:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Humenbean
So what I am looking at now is buying the 735 frame set / seat post online and building the rest with the shop. The mechanic also said he builds custom wheels for around $400 a pair that are built like a tank and will last a very long time.

What do you think? Is there a super special shop you think I should go to first? Did I stumble upon the right shop for the job?
I could buy a set of wheels from https://www.velomine.com/ for $150 and charge someone $400 for them and most people wouldn't know the difference. Modern prebuilt wheels are tanks, too. If you are worried, buy a set of $150 wheels then pay a guy a few bucks to check the tension on them for you. It's the same parts.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?ma...x&cPath=87_172

Go to Mt Airy Bikes on the campus of U of Maryland. I haven't been there in years, so I can't vouch for the prices or the current staff, but I'm pretty sure they will have lots of fixed gear bikes in stock on the floor for fitting and/or test rides. Of course, call beforehand to make sure.
https://www.bike123.com/
Old 03-05-12, 08:01 PM
Dcv

Bikes: Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know of many bike stores around dc that have a lot of fixed gear parts. I've been able to score bullhorns at performance bikes, a few cogs or single chainring bolts at revolution cycles in georgetown or clarendon. If you find one let me know.

Bill Mould at Spokes Etc's Quaker Lane shop did a great job building a wheel for me, he charges $60 in labor. I bought my hub, rim and spokes online and he built it for me, no attitude or bad feelings at all. I've had bad experiences with other local lbs wheel builders.

If you find a lbs and mechanic you like, i think you should stick with them.

Also there's a 56cm cinelli vigorelli that's been on CL for a while, you might be able to negotiate a good price.

Last edited by Dcv; 03-05-12 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 09:40 PM
loveandhate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Checkout Phoenix Bikes.

They are a local nonprofit that trains kids how to build and repair bikes. Once a week they hold an open house where anyone can come in and learn.

They also sell some nice used bikes.
Old 03-06-12, 12:20 AM
Humenbean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the 400 price came from adding in Phil wood hubs. I am assuming though, but does that add up now to the higher price for hand builds? He said he used 'the best products' to build them. He seemed like a trustworthy guy, what do you think is that adding up or sketchy?
Old 03-06-12, 05:08 AM
Dcv

Bikes: Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ask him for specs on the hubs, rims and spokes. Then check prices online, you should be able to figure out what he's charging for labor.
Old 03-06-12, 07:27 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Do you need custom wheels?

Is there something that a custom wheelset will do that a pre-built one won't?
Old 03-06-12, 07:40 AM
BezO

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Had been looking for a good spot myself. My experience has boosted my desire to learn how to completely service my own bike. So...

Originally Posted by Xgecko
...There is also Bikehouse which open this weekend
...I've been waiting for them. Not sure I'll make it there this weekend, but will very soon, probably when I'm ready to learn how to change my cranks, chainring & bottom bracket.
Old 03-06-12, 08:48 AM
Xgecko
old legs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BezO
Had been looking for a good spot myself. My experience has boosted my desire to learn how to completely service my own bike. So...

...I've been waiting for them. Not sure I'll make it there this weekend, but will very soon, probably when I'm ready to learn how to change my cranks, chainring & bottom bracket.
I'm a firm believer in Co-Op's I was a shop rat as a child, spending hours underfoot learning how to do nearly everything on a bike. Today I have most of the tools and all of the know-how to work on a bicycle and for me its is rather cathartic to do so. For the last 6 years I have been the family mechanic working on everyone's bikes as need be. That said "building wheels" is a true artform; a good shop has to have a spoke cutter/threader to have embraced the art. Lacing is easy, for that matter so is making a wheel straight but round? that's where it moves beyond mere mechanics. As for the question do you need custom wheels...that can best be determined by answering the question "will you be locking your bike up outside?" if the answer is yes I would not go the custom route, certainly not Phil Wood hubs. If you want to add a custom look to a machine built wheels set, re-lace the front radial (requires spoke cutting) or some other semi-exotic crossing (may not require cutting) and have your LBS true it when you are done
Old 03-07-12, 11:02 PM
Humenbean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Do you need custom wheels?

Is there something that a custom wheelset will do that a pre-built one won't?
I basically told him I like to buy things that last longer even if they cost more. Kind of from a quality standpoint. That's when he said well I can build you some hand built frames with phil hubs and they will last pretty much forever. The phils at least, the frames would at least be in it for the long run.

He then handed me a phil rear that had been on a guys bike that showed heavy use and it felt like it was bran new and rolled smoother than hot butter.

He wasn't trying to push me into a $400 set of wheels, just trying to give me what I asked for, mid-high quality with out going for looks etc. The thought of hand built wheels, I do have to admit sounded pretty cool. It's that idea of having something built by hand that just has a nice ring to it. Do I need hand built? No, but I will admit I have a soft side. Just not paying double for the same thing though.