Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 11-01-17, 07:03 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
What? Why? Have you heard anything specific about this?
No. But I've seen on Strava that someone we both know keeps riding the course, and I heard from another teammate that he said the course is getting "nicely burned in," which we did not want. I just fear that if a path is indeed "burned in," they may balk at the idea of allowing a race there again.

By the way, the fit kit is in. I'm probably going XS on most things this year, and I haven't gotten smaller from last year.
Old 11-01-17, 06:36 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
iPhone Question

This is somewhat convoluted. I've got an iPhone 5s, which works fine and does everything I want it to, and has remained functional through the current iOS updates. I also have a 160GB iPod Classic which is in the process of dying. The iPod stays in the car and holds about 60 GB of music which I listen to when I travel.

I'm long past being eligible for an upgrade from AT&T. The options include an iPhone 6 with 128GB of memory. It's not much bigger than the 5, which I like, and I don't need the bells and whistles on the 7/8/10. It sounds like I could upgrade and replace the dying iPod at the same time by downloading my iTunes collection onto the phone, then listening to the music in the car via BT.

Does it actually work out this way, or is there some hitch which would prevent it?

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-01-17, 08:16 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
This is somewhat convoluted. I've got an iPhone 5s, which works fine and does everything I want it to, and has remained functional through the current iOS updates. I also have a 160GB iPod Classic which is in the process of dying. The iPod stays in the car and holds about 60 GB of music which I listen to when I travel.

I'm long past being eligible for an upgrade from AT&T. The options include an iPhone 6 with 128GB of memory. It's not much bigger than the 5, which I like, and I don't need the bells and whistles on the 7/8/10. It sounds like I could upgrade and replace the dying iPod at the same time by downloading my iTunes collection onto the phone, then listening to the music in the car via BT.

Does it actually work out this way, or is there some hitch which would prevent it?
No reason this wouldn't work. Also no reason you could just get a cheapy mp3 player off of the internet from somewhere and just use that. I stream pretty much all my music now a days. Even the stuff I download I put up on a personal server to stream down. I pretty much only download anything when I know I'm going to be driving somewhere with no phone service. This might have to change though, as the new job I'm starting in ~ a week does not allow cell phones or anything with any sort of wireless communication into the buildings.

My Adventure for today was having a new check engine light pop up on my Honda out of the blue. Cylinder misfire error codes. 3 of them. Car was running like ****. Couldn't idle properly and wasn't accelerating right on the drive home. It didn't make it home. I drove straight to the mechanic and dropped it off. Had to walk about a mile home after work, but that is perfectly fine by me. It was a nice day. Hoping that it is reparable. Want to get some more life out of this car...

Oh and I sold my mtb today. Good timing considering I probably have a big expense coming my way..
Old 11-01-17, 11:48 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Mud is also the reason why most top-level cross racers have two bikes. They swap bikes on each lap, and in between, someone hoses it off.
The key is the person doing the cleaning.

In a truly muddy race, the 2nd bike is going to get messed up pretty quick, too, and without someone to clean it off that 2nd bike may only make a 1/2 lap's worth of difference.

This also assumes that you have a competent person AND the venue has access to water/pressure washers (or the individual racer beings their own). This is not a given for most events.
Old 11-02-17, 05:07 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
It's 6:06 am. My baby has been asleep for over 5.5 hours. He's almost 11 months old. First time to make it over five hours. Oh...my.
Old 11-02-17, 10:25 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Oof, I couldn't do it. Hats off to any of you with kids, I'm content with the uncle life.
Old 11-02-17, 10:46 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Oof, I couldn't do it. Hats off to any of you with kids, I'm content with the uncle life.
Me too. And spending an hour with my nephews is absolutely exhausting.
Old 11-02-17, 10:50 AM
topflightpro

I eat the same boring sandwich for lunch everyday. Today I brought leftovers for lunch. When I went into my lunch box, I was disappointed not to find my same boring sandwich. I guess I really am a creature of habit.

Also, I went out last Friday night with my wife and had two beers - the same two beers she had. But when we got home, I suddenly became very ill. Felt like I was going to be sick, and all day Saturday, I just felt horribly hungover. We were trying to figure out what it could have been, since she was fine and has way lower alcohol tolerance than me.

But today, I saw that Chuck Norris is suing some company, claiming the contrast agent used in an MRI for his wife left her with tremendous side effects. I looked it up, and nausea is possible side effect of MRI contrast agents, and I did get an MRI on Friday. So maybe that was my issue.
Old 11-02-17, 11:03 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I've been driving around a standard car for a few days now. Kinda fun! Starting on hills is tricky, and reverse feels totally different than in an automatic. Only time I stalled yesterday was checking the mail when I got home!
Old 11-02-17, 12:43 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
It's 6:06 am. My baby has been asleep for over 5.5 hours. He's almost 11 months old. First time to make it over five hours. Oh...my.
really? our kids have been 12-hour/night sleepers since about 6 months old. I have tips, if you want them!
Old 11-02-17, 12:44 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been driving around a standard car for a few days now. Kinda fun! Starting on hills is tricky, and reverse feels totally different than in an automatic. Only time I stalled yesterday was checking the mail when I got home!
I feel like "standard" now refers to automatic and "manual" is what you're meaning!
Old 11-02-17, 04:55 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
The key is the person doing the cleaning.

In a truly muddy race, the 2nd bike is going to get messed up pretty quick, too, and without someone to clean it off that 2nd bike may only make a 1/2 lap's worth of difference.

This also assumes that you have a competent person AND the venue has access to water/pressure washers (or the individual racer beings their own). This is not a given for most events.
Can you link to the idea pressure washer (hand pump) that a support person would use?

I have to look dad-cool showing up with the portable pressure washer.
Old 11-02-17, 07:40 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
heel and toe time!
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-03-17, 08:01 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Car got fixed yesterday. Two new ignition coils and 500 dollars later, she is back running good as could be.

Probably a repair I could have done myself after reading about it a bit, but living in an apartment with a secured garage makes it tough to have a proper place to work on a car. Live and learn. Also there is no way I could have diagnosed this problem on my own. I just don't know enough.
Old 11-03-17, 09:31 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
heel and toe time!
So like 1/3rd of the time I can roll into 1st smoothly, 1/3rd of the time it stalls, and 1/3rd of the time it makes noises and gets jerky which I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to do, but everyone keeps assuring me won't hurt the car cuz nothing is smoking or smelling. The smoothest shift into first is when I slowly let my foot off the clutch until I find the friction point and then slowly start hitting the gas, but I'm a bit worried that doing that on the regular will glass the friction plate over time. Psssh heel and toe will be like lesson 20 haha, I'm not there yet!
Old 11-03-17, 10:09 AM
topflightpro

My oven wasn't heating up. It would stall at 215 degrees. A quick google search told me that it was likely a bad heating coil. I found instructions on how to replace it. Started disassembling the oven, and I found the heating coil was indeed bad - in fact it was broken in several places. I found the part online for $50 and replaced it in a few minutes.

Still, I have one screw left. I'm not sure where it came from or where it goes, since I only removed 5 screws.
Old 11-03-17, 10:23 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
sounds like you're screwed
Old 11-03-17, 11:27 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
Pocket screw. Don't worry about it.
Old 11-03-17, 01:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,642 Posts
Nice one
Old 11-03-17, 02:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've had manual transmission cars since I first learned how to drive, but I still have days when I'm less than smooth, especially if it's been a while since I drove. Bc I bike commute, I usually only drive on the weekends, and lately with kids' soccer, I'm mostly driving the minivan.
Old 11-03-17, 04:08 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
In 2000 I ordered an Audi 2001 S4 - 6 speed. I tuned it. I had fancy shifters on it. I was already too old for such a car when I bought it. Kids and I had a lot of fun in it.

At 180K miles on it ~2009 exiting the off-ramp I casually slapped it from 5th to 2nd (instead of 4th) - 10,000 RPM on an interference engine was not so good. I had one automatic before then. I decided to stick with them after that.
I miss this car. So do my kids.
P2250027.JPG
Old 11-03-17, 04:27 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But today, I saw that Chuck Norris is suing some company, claiming the contrast agent used in an MRI for his wife left her with tremendous side effects. I looked it up, and nausea is possible side effect of MRI contrast agents, and I did get an MRI on Friday. So maybe that was my issue.
when i've gotten dye-contrast MRIs the risks have been spelled out explicitly. Be interesting to see where that goes.
Old 11-03-17, 04:28 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
In 2000 I ordered an Audi 2001 S4 - 6 speed. I tuned it. I had fancy shifters on it. I was already too old for such a car when I bought it. Kids and I had a lot of fun in it.

At 180K miles on it ~2009 exiting the off-ramp I casually slapped it from 5th to 2nd (instead of 4th) - 10,000 RPM on an interference engine was not so good. I had one automatic before then. I decided to stick with them after that.
I miss this car. So do my kids.
i had an S4 back in 1998/99. Super fun.... and more than a few tickets. So worth it!
Old 11-03-17, 04:32 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My oven wasn't heating up. It would stall at 215 degrees. A quick google search told me that it was likely a bad heating coil. I found instructions on how to replace it. Started disassembling the oven, and I found the heating coil was indeed bad - in fact it was broken in several places. I found the part online for $50 and replaced it in a few minutes.
nice.

so many repairs can be done easily and cheaply via watching youtube videos. i had an oven "die" before; a serviceman wanted $300 for the part (+ more for labor); i figured out that basically all ranges these days use the same circuit board, and you could get it on ebay for $40. unplug a few MOLEX connectors & 6 bolts later you're done.

that said.... i now have a garbage disposal that died and a refrigerator that has started freezing everything. i tried cleaning the coils but not yet sure where to turn on that one.

hm.
Old 11-03-17, 04:33 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I'm long past being eligible for an upgrade from AT&T. The options include an iPhone 6 with 128GB of memory. It's not much bigger than the 5, which I like, and I don't need the bells and whistles on the 7/8/10.
ymmv, but i have stuck with a 6SE for the form factor. sure, the bigger sizes are great in a number of scenarios, but for me the 6SE pushes the limit of what i want to carry around in a jersey pocket.

i'm sure one day i'll have a bigger phone and contradict this post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.