Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Loose Loose Sand

Old 07-24-19, 11:57 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
The Alexander Springs to Clearwater Lake loop is the one I was thinking about. A bit far south for me if I was doing a door to door ride.

I'm not looking for trails for the sake of a place to ride. I can get plenty of miles on the roads. I just wanted to incorporate some of the unpaved roads in there as well.
Old 07-24-19, 12:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
some of the unpaved roads
stay away from the edges & looks like you might be OK

or just skip it cuz sand is evil. rent a MTB & ride that trail designated for MTBs ?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-24-19 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 07:33 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I've been on ATV/snowmobile trails that are such loose and deep sand that it's a pain to even walk on them. The other thing to consider is that sand conditions can be heavily dependent on many variables; how much it has rained recently, humidity, recent traffic levels, etc.

A 40mm tire gravel bike can definitely do a lot in sand, but as it gets deeper and looser the going gets worse and less fun for any appreciable distance. At some point it becomes a high effort bike handling exercise just staying upright. A good skill but not something for exploring miles of such a surface, especially if you are still developing the skill.

If this is a fairly local ride, go ahead and try your current bike. You won't be out that much if you have to abandon the ride. If this is a further away trip, I'd look into renting/borrowing/buying something with 3" to 5" tires (ie: a plus tires or fat tires) They will cope with the worse end of sandy conditions far better. That way, if you get there and it's really soft your ride won't be ruined. If it's firmer then you have had a chance to scout the location and learn for next time.
Old 07-26-19, 09:35 AM
bikecrate

I was poking around the internet and found this. Price is just about right, specs aren't bad, and it looks like it already comes with some large tires and perhaps room for larger.

Breezer Radar Expert

Old 07-26-19, 01:00 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Too bad there wasn't more details in the top two video what trail they were on. I haven't done a lot of research, but I thought the only bike trail was farther south than were I will be at and it was a loop that wasn't very long. The FL trail also crosses through the forest, but I'm not sure if they allow bikes. I'd be pretty happy if there was something like that to ride on. However, mostly what I've seen looks like the bottom image.
The National Forest Service has an interactive map:

https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/index.html

You can check out all the trails in the Ocala NF there. Lots of good detail, although you'll probably have to do some recon to see how the real sandy stuff is labeled. I would assume anything it calls suitable for passenger cars or managed for biking would be fine though.

I did some research on the Florida scenic trail recently and from what I remember, bikes were specifically not allowed on most if not all of the route.
Old 07-29-19, 08:32 AM
bikecrate

Originally Posted by phobus
The National Forest Service has an interactive map:

https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/index.html

You can check out all the trails in the Ocala NF there. Lots of good detail, although you'll probably have to do some recon to see how the real sandy stuff is labeled. I would assume anything it calls suitable for passenger cars or managed for biking would be fine though.

I did some research on the Florida scenic trail recently and from what I remember, bikes were specifically not allowed on most if not all of the route.
There's also a information station on the way into the forest. Probably will stop in and ask some questions. It would be great if I could ride on the FL Trail. There is a connection only a few miles from where I'm going to be and it heads in the right direction for most of the rides I would like to do.
Old 07-30-19, 06:50 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
There's also a information station on the way into the forest. Probably will stop in and ask some questions. It would be great if I could ride on the FL Trail. There is a connection only a few miles from where I'm going to be and it heads in the right direction for most of the rides I would like to do.
Let me know what you find. I've been casually planning a route and would like to make use of the trail if possible, too.