Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting Clydesdales?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting Clydesdales?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 06:16 PM
mirage1
Bossy Bunny

Bikes: A comfy little Diamond Wildwood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sportute
Here's my ride. 56 miles round trip

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/highland/508692520

6'2" 235 who hopes to be a Clyde alumnus

SU
That's gotta be a hot ride, this time of year, huh? Whew. (fans self)

"Assume a virtue, if you have it not." ~ William Shakespeare

This advice is the reason I'm masquerading as an athletic person.
Old 06-26-07, 07:02 PM
Jeronimo_
Banned.

Bikes: A bunch of 'em

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Winter76
Wow that's like almost freak of nature tall.
Most of my bicycles are custom, or humongous Schwinns because Ignaz's idea was "A Bicycle For Everyone". God Bless Ignaz Schwinn.

I lied about holding steady at 225. Weighing in yesterday for the first time in about a year and I'm at 215 right now.
Old 06-26-07, 09:09 PM
SpiderMike
eert a ekil yzarc

Bikes: many bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Representing the Commuting Clydes and HHCMF down here in Southeast TX.
Old 06-27-07, 06:30 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jubal117
Started at 265 now up to 275. I've been at this for a month and I've gained 10 pounds, I don't get it.
I asked my doctor why I hadn't lost any weight after commuting for a decade or so. I was 'hoping' I had a medical excuse - extra fat genes, thyroid issues, yadda yadda.

He said - simple; you're eating more to compensate for the calories burned. I insisted he was wrong, but a careful calorie intake monitoring here and there shows he's right.

Little things like NOT having seconds (and thirds ) at dinner and keeping track of those 'occasional' Doughnuts and ice cream treats after a long hard commute have made a difference and I recently lost a few pounds. I am at 220 down from 226. Only 5'7"

a few tips (fwtw from a weight loss failure ): www.fitday.com

I also just bought a homedics scale for $60. I'm not into fads and gadgets but this one is nice for the $. Lets you monitor your body fat etc. I set it to kilos so I can get past the 200 lb. stigma - I've not seen the south side of 200 since 1992.

On the positive side I am very close to dipping below 100kg!!! Whoo Hoo!
Old 06-27-07, 08:23 AM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pgoat
a few tips (fwtw from a weight loss failure ): www.fitday.com
+1 for FitDay.com. I've been using it for a couple of years now to track my eating habits and calorie intake. The more time you spend using it and entering in foods you eat, the easier it becomes to use as it builds up your common food database.

Scott
Old 06-27-07, 08:34 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Winter76
Wow that's like almost freak of nature tall.
Only an inch taller than me.
Super big production frames and extra long seatposts are my friends.
Old 06-27-07, 08:39 AM
JOHN J

Bikes: giant ATX 760, Falcon Road Bike (ss) custom marinoni tourismo (full dresser) ,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeppers

247Lb on a good day usually in the 250s 19 mile commute one way if I can wake up on time (commuting enemy #1 for me)

"John"
Old 06-27-07, 02:22 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zpl
+1 for FitDay.com. I've been using it for a couple of years now to track my eating habits and calorie intake. The more time you spend using it and entering in foods you eat, the easier it becomes to use as it builds up your common food database.

Scott
word

Tis definitely best if u are diligent and enter your foods and activities each day

however i use it as a spot check too if I miss a week here and there (my mom has been in and out of the hospital lately so I have to let some stuff go......) and it is still helpful, providing u r truthful and enter everyting in the proper amounts

one downside to fitday is the activities stuff is limited, not as customizable as the foods but still , it is adeqauate there for my commute rides. I just go by my HR monitor to gauge true calories/fat burned on long rides.
Old 06-28-07, 06:16 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Panniers are on order, planning to try commuting 2 days a week. (37 mile RT.)

My bands:
Old 06-28-07, 01:09 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do it man!

Panniers are nice. I just tried them after many years of sweaty backpacks and messenger bags. A bag is nice for small stuff or short rides. I am sure a messenger wouldn't want panniers. But for commuting - especially one as long as yours - rack and panniers are the way to go.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 06-28-07, 01:37 PM
jdcii
Can you donate today?

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just started commuting 18 miles one way, 290# 6'3".

What's everyone riding? I'm on a early to mid 80s Miyata one ten. I hoping it continues to hold up till next year.
Old 06-28-07, 01:41 PM
themickeyd
Got Bent?

Bikes: Rans F5 Enduro XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally go on my 84 Schwinn World Sport Fixed Gear Conversion. But when I need fenders I hit the road on my Cannondale Touring bike. If the snow is flying then it's my Cannondale Super V mountain bike.
Old 06-28-07, 02:03 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdcii
Just started commuting 18 miles one way, 290# 6'3".

What's everyone riding? I'm on a early to mid 80s Miyata one ten. I hoping it continues to hold up till next year.
Oh baby
My old 110 was my fave bike ever. Very sweet ride and I had it all tricked out with campy stuff and a columbus fork from a cannibalized Tommasini racing bike. I did eventually sell it for parts cause the headset went and when I was installing a new one I noticed LOTS of bad ripples around the down tube/head tube lug juncture

I am heavy and hit lots of potholes on skinny tires so I consider the three-four years I got out of it quite good. Just keep an eye on the paint for ripples.
Old 06-28-07, 02:16 PM
jubal117

Bikes: 2009 Raleigh Sojourn, 2009 Raleigh Mojave 8.0, 1989 Miyata 914, 1996 Trek Mountaintrak 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have now been commuting for two months straight. I haven't missed a day yet, it is only 7 miles each way though. I am now back down to 267 from 275. I'm almost where I was when I started. I ride a Trek 7200. I don't like it much, and I'm looking at getting a Raleigh road bike.
Old 06-28-07, 11:02 PM
djwright

Bikes: Trek Portland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am still 258 and riding 27 miles round trip 4 times a week.

It is hard to find bike clothes that fit and I think I put more wear and tear on my bike than a lighter person would.
Old 06-28-07, 11:07 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started at 289, now at 209. Commuting my way out of the Clydesdales.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 06-29-07, 03:22 AM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
One thing I have found is that if I eat fresh fruits instead of breads and cookies, I lose weight. In fact, now that I am pretty close to my target weight, I have to eat ice cream and such after a very long ride. Not sure the science but it is what works for me.

I have a very nasty hill (two of them in fact) on my commute. Every extra pound is felt. Even though now I am staying between 185 and 190, I am seriously thinking of seeing if I can get it between 180 and 185. (I am 6'2" ) - I guess this means I am no longer a clyde but I USED to be one and of course could be again if I don't concentrate.

One thing to realize if you are trying to drop weight is that you really don't need much carbs for energy so whatever you eat should be nutritious. When you are eating very concentrated carbs, you can easily eat more than you use unless you have a really long commute.
Old 06-29-07, 07:13 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmorrison99
Started at 289, now at 209. Commuting my way out of the Clydesdales.
wow that is fantastic!
Old 06-29-07, 07:16 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
One thing I have found is that if I eat fresh fruits instead of breads and cookies, I lose weight. In fact, now that I am pretty close to my target weight, I have to eat ice cream and such after a very long ride. Not sure the science but it is what works for me.

I have a very nasty hill (two of them in fact) on my commute. Every extra pound is felt. Even though now I am staying between 185 and 190, I am seriously thinking of seeing if I can get it between 180 and 185. (I am 6'2" ) - I guess this means I am no longer a clyde but I USED to be one and of course could be again if I don't concentrate.

One thing to realize if you are trying to drop weight is that you really don't need much carbs for energy so whatever you eat should be nutritious. When you are eating very concentrated carbs, you can easily eat more than you use unless you have a really long commute.

good points

again the fit day website is nice in that it gives you not only a calorie count, but a fat/protein/carb breakdown, and a good fat/bad fat ratio as well. Plus nutritional info, though a decent daily multivitamin balances that out for most of us.

I try to keep my daily intake at 2000 but it is hard. I have a desk job so anything over that and i stay fat. But you are spot on about fruits & veggies. I am a breadaholic so it is tough. I've given up cheese, caffeine, cigarettes (long time ago) alcohol (small glass of red wine with dinner on occasion but that's about it) and been a semi-vegetarian (just fish 2x week and poultry on occasion) for decades. But give up bread? That is so hard.......
Old 06-29-07, 07:39 AM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Thankfully I am slightly intolerant of bread so if I eat too much I feel ill. I don't like that I can't eat the stuff very much, but at least it is something I don't have to fight much.

About the only time I can eat it is just before or after an epic bike ride (3+ hours). Then nothing matters.
Old 06-29-07, 07:42 AM
Apnu

Bikes: 2006 Dahon Jack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a clyde (currently 260 lbs, down from 288 lbs). I commute every day I can 15 miles round trip.
Old 06-29-07, 08:16 AM
joeyfrench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I am a Clyde, 6' even and 220 pounds. Back in the day I used to be much lighter and quicker when I had a downtown bike delivery/courier job, but got off the bike for a few years. Have gotten back into it seriously in the last 4-5 months, commuting 14-15 miles round trip every day, and doing 15-30 mile rides on Saturdays, Mountain biking in the forest on Sundays. Hoping to get back down to sub-200 sometime soon, but in no rush, as I eat like a madman these days, and feel better than I have in years.

Joey French
Old 06-29-07, 08:30 AM
nightc1
Top Speed 53.1mph

Bikes: GMC Denali Road Bike ($150), Generic MTB ($50)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to be 235. This was before getting my road bike and even considering commuting let alone the regular 30 mile rides I do.

I busted my butt at the gym for months and managed to get to 220 but not a bit less.

I learned about calorie counting and found the site Calorie-count.com and learned about food portions, good foods and bad, creating a more ballanced diet (we do need fat, carbs and so on)... and in the process learned how to cut calories enough to drop to what I am now...

I'm about to seriously start bike commuting soon (hense why I'm here on this forum)... and I'm only 15 pounds off of my target of 180.

For a 6' tall man 183 is the border between a healthy weight and being slightly overweight.

But the 40 pounds I've lost thus far... it's a huge difference in my appearance and people have no clue that I still have another 15 to lose. I can run 4 miles without a break, lift more weight than ever, and finally have food portions under control.

If you want to lose weight, counting calories will do it without question. Losing 1 to 2 pounds a week while it seems insignificant adds up FAST. 25 of the 40 I lost has been since April 2nd.

Anyway I pass this info on to anyone interested. I was a clyde as well... but not anymore. I'm done being fat. Infact, now I'm wearing Large shirts for the first time since highschool and my early college days in the very early 90's.
Old 06-29-07, 03:18 PM
Jeronimo_
Banned.

Bikes: A bunch of 'em

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of that formulaic weight to height ratio stuff is pure BS. Ride like hell and eat well, don't worry about pounds and some nerd's goofball formula.
Old 06-29-07, 09:57 PM
newsace
Wannabe commuter & tourer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5'9", 245 lbs here, commuting (10 hilly miles each way) 2-3 times per week for the past month or so. Steadily knocking off time from the morning half of the ride: 55 minutes last week, 51 on Monday, 48 on Wednesday, down to 46 minutes this morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.