Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike shorts

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bike shorts

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 09:40 AM
mindaugas

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shorts

I've been riding to work in some old gym shorts that are tight but not skin tight like most bike shorts. Out of the 4 or 5 other bikers I see I'm the only one not wearing bike shorts. What gives? Why are they so great? Is it just the extra padding? Does it really help that much?
Old 07-06-07, 09:49 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends. I think they work really well on saddles that aren't designed for comfort. The compression also helps the legs (from what I'm told). On my commute, I run a Brooks B17 saddle and I don't use bike shorts either. I'm not trying to set any speed records and am mainly looking to be comfortable. On the weekend rides, I wear bike shorts, but I'm usually doing between 50-100 miles so the extra padding is desired. Use what's comfortable to you.
Old 07-06-07, 09:53 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good padding is definitely a nice thing to have.

Good varies from person to person though. If you want the padding without the lycra look, you can wear bike shorts under your regular shorts, you can get a padded liner to go under your current shorts, or you can get mountain shorts, which are basically just baggy shorts with a liner attached inside.

A liner would be the cheapest option. Again though, the quality of the pad varies tremendously between models.
Old 07-06-07, 09:54 AM
mindaugas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any recommendations?
Old 07-06-07, 09:58 AM
Niten
saikurisutto

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720, 2004 Marin Argenta, Police Auction Schwinn Impact, Coker Wheelman Highwheeler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a B17, too, and often wear cargo shorts or whatever instead of bike shorts. As the temperature or distances creep up--I had to ride back and forth across town a couple of times yesterday, and it was hot--I appreciate the wicking and cushioning features of my bike shorts.
Old 07-06-07, 10:25 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mindaugas
I've been riding to work in some old gym shorts that are tight but not skin tight like most bike shorts. Out of the 4 or 5 other bikers I see I'm the only one not wearing bike shorts. What gives? Why are they so great? Is it just the extra padding? Does it really help that much?
Fight the temptation to wear spandex.
Old 07-06-07, 10:34 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shorts were a eureka moment for me.

Try them.
Old 07-06-07, 10:43 AM
Valpo Hawkeye
Hoosier runner

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicodemus
As in, "I can't believe my junk is this big" or "I can't believe how comfortable this is"?!?
Old 07-06-07, 10:45 AM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicodemus

Try them.
Ditto....but I will say it depends on your ride. If you are riding less than 10 miles, you probably won't notice a huge difference. If you ride longer distances, you really need that padding. It's quite a big helper.
Old 07-06-07, 10:45 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Its more comfortable having a fabric that moves with your skin rather than rubbing against it.
Old 07-06-07, 10:51 AM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come to the dark side
Old 07-06-07, 10:57 AM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Voler bike shorts. I have picked up a number of pair from Velowear. Comfortable, durable, and not too pricey.
Old 07-06-07, 11:00 AM
newsace
Wannabe commuter & tourer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all in your comfort needs (both physical and psychological). Personally, I can't stand to ride more than a couple of miles in anything except "real" cycling shorts--it's just not comfortable to me. At the same time, at 5'9" and 250 lbs., I'm not incredibly comfortable in the way I look when I'm wearing them. For me, the physical comfort far outweighs the psychological discomfort. As evidenced by some other recent threads in this forum, though, some people project their gender identity issues onto others who wear the lycra/spandex clothing, so factor that in if it's something that'll cause you concern.
Old 07-06-07, 11:01 AM
newsace
Wannabe commuter & tourer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcap
I like Voler bike shorts. I have picked up a number of pair from Velowear. Comfortable, durable, and not too pricey.
+1 on the Voler shorts. Although the last time I checked the Web site, they had stopped selling the particular version I like. Fortunately, I stocked up a couple of years ago, so I've got three pair of them in rotation with a couple of other pair of a different (less comfortable) brand.
Old 07-06-07, 11:17 AM
mindaugas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm, maybe I'll try the baggy mountain bike shorts. I don't think I'd be too embarrassed, I'm 6' 190lbs, I have a gut but that's easy to hide lol. actually the whole reason for the commute is my gut and I sit in front of a computer all day working as IT support. good info, thanks
Old 07-06-07, 11:18 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What gives? Why are they so great? Is it just the extra padding? Does it really help that much?
Mine are so great because I'm in them.

Seriously, though... The padding helps with comfort during longer rides. I've got a not-quite-broken-in-yet Brooks, and I certainly wouldn't be doing any 30 mile rides without the padding that my shorts provide.
Even when I'm cruising around town on errands, I wear a pair of bike shorts under my cargo shorts.
A) People don't stare at me for wearing bike shorts in the grocery store, pharmacy, Jamba Juice, book store, etc.
B) Chances drop to almost zero that I'll smack my dangly bits the wrong way when doing multiple mount/dismounts of the saddle in traffic, since everything is held nicely in place. (not much is worse than building up speed to keep up with traffic, and thumping yourself in the nards with the nose of your saddle when you go to sit back down.)
Old 07-06-07, 11:24 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If I'm riding directly into work on a cool morning, no biggie to just wear my office clothes. And that's on a racing saddle. But any longer or hotter ride means sweat which means wet cotton which means the potential for a rash, saddle sores, or worse. So I'll wear the "full kit" including a proper pair of bibs.
Old 07-06-07, 11:32 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
hmm, maybe I'll try the baggy mountain bike shorts.
That gets you a chamois, but the other two reasons I like cycling shorts is:

1. MUCH cooler and more comfy in hot weather
2. Not as much of an issue with commuting, but they don't hang up on your saddle like sloppy shorts do
Old 07-06-07, 12:19 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, they are much more comfortable on a hard saddle.

They keep your boys in one position so you can go from hoods to drops without hurting yourself.

They are MUCH cooler.

The compression is lab-proven to increase leg muscle stamina.

The thin material dries quickly. I just rinse/hand wash mine in the shower with me after a longer bike ride, wring 'em out, hang them, and they are dry in the morning. (if they are still damp in the morning, I can a) put them in the dryer for 5 minutes or b) wear them damp for extra cooling).

They don't catch on your saddle when you start off from a stop.
Old 07-06-07, 12:25 PM
mindaugas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have yet to bump my junk, but it does get squished on the saddle. I had a fun time adjusting it, I ended up angling it a little down and pushed almost all the way back. I bought a cheesy "Lookin" saddle with lots of padding. Its not too big, but it definitely is not a racing saddle. I was looking for comfort since I'm just starting. But I didn't realize it doesn't take long to want more lol. I wanted to do this on the cheap but I'm already above $200 including the bike. I know that isn't much, but I wanted to grab a $75 bike and ride, guess it doesn't work that way.
Old 07-06-07, 12:29 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Padding is for wussy. The biggest advantages to cycling shorts are keeping the 'boys' in place, reducing chaffing and having moisture wicked away from your body. Them shorts with all the thick padding ain't worth a squat on long rides, especially if it's wet/humid and the chamois starts retaining water (which is what chamois do).

For short rides/commutes, either some tight poly boxer briefs or lightly padded cycling shorts under cargos or gym shorts will do you just fine. Just make sure the over shorts don't have some big ole seam junction that is gonna make your 'taint unhappy. For longer rides, you just can't beat a good pair of bibs, with or without shorts over the top.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-06-07, 12:33 PM
skanking biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a eureka moment the other day after actually taking a crowbar to the wallet for some "real" cycling shorts. I had previously been buying the $15 cheapos at dick's sporting goods, et al.

BIG DIFFERENCE between a cheapo pair of shorts and good quality shorts. Although cheapo shorts are better than underwear by a long shot
Old 07-06-07, 01:17 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mparker326
Fight the temptation to wear spandex.
Why? It's comfortable, doesn't chaf your skin and the padding is placed right where you need it most. I can't understand why anyone who rides with any regularity wouldn't wear it quite frankly.
Old 07-06-07, 01:29 PM
andrelam

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For any ride under 15 miles the bike shorts are over kill. My commute is normally 10 miles round trip, but even if I have to stop by the new office that was added it adds only an extra 4 miles each way. . Therefore I am not spending any serious continuous length of time on the bike. Regular athletic shorts work just fineI find that on the longer say 20 mile rides, the extra comfort from the bike shorts is noticable. I have a set of Canari Jell shorts that I bought at a local Dicks Sporting goods store for $38 and they work very nicely. I usually find that during the first hour my find may get a little sore, but after a while you just get into a zone and the body appears to get used to the ride. Last time I rode 24 miles with only one quick 4 minutes stop to releive myself and refill my water bottle with cool water from the water fountain. At the end of the ride my body felt very good. My lungs were complaining a bit, but it was the one of the hottest and muggiest days of the year and I later found out there was also a high ozon warning... not ideal breathing weather. The ride was none the less a real pleasure, and it was nice NOT to have a sore rear end.

Happy riding,
André
Old 07-06-07, 02:52 PM
mcoons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Cars-r-Coffins NEMA brand (NEMA JEWEL SHORTS are what they sell now, but I bought them a few years ago)Mountain-bike style shorts that I like a lot, but they're a bit warm in the middle of summer. I also have some that look baggy, but have a liner inside that has padding. I feel more comfy in baggy shorts for my commute- especially since I ride to the bus...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.